Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some advice VN..........

I collapsed a few weeks ago (blacked out for several minutes.) Found out I have AFib and need an ablation.

Has anyone had one? And did it help?

Thanks in advance.................
I personally haven't but know a few who have had one and in all cases I know of currently all are doing better and glad they had it done. If you do, are you seeing someone affiliated with St. Thomas or Vanderbilt? FWIW, Vanderbilt now has a higher rated heart department than St. Thomas

I collapsed a few weeks ago (blacked out for several minutes.) Found out I have AFib and need an ablation.

My dad had one a few months ago. Same exact thing happened only he knew he had Afib just didn't know what was causy it. Anywho a few months later and he has more energy than before the surgery. Just expect to be a lot colder afterwards

Yes, I have had two ablations, and yes, they do help, at least for awhile. I'll recount my experience.

At age 60 I suffered my first "attack" of AFib. I had traveled to Italy with two plane changes and an 4 hour train ride and was exhausted. My doctor explained that this is what prompts many of the first episodes. My cardiologist suggested the ablation, and sure enough it cured the problem, for about 4-6 months. I did not realize that the ablation procedure burns and scars the outside wall of the heart to interrupt the random voltage which is what cause the "fluttering" that I was feeling. For me it was like a butterfly let loose in my chest and was very disconcerting. The cardiologist that did mine explained all this to me and said (with a wry grin on his face) that "ablations normally work but the more they study them the less they work". What he was saying was that the heart muscle scars sometimes go away or heal and the stray voltage comes back, and so does the Afib. I had a second ablation as a "tune-up" to the first one. Same result. By the way, it seems many former athletes, particularly runners and tennis players are prone to develop Afib.

I just turned 75 and have now just learned to live with it. I have it most of the time. I played tennis regularly with it until I was 72 (my back made me give up tennis) and now play golf at least twice a week. I wish I did not have it but I can't say it significantly affects my quality of life. There are much worse things to have. Talk to your doctor about what causes it and if there are drugs to control it for you. I took sotalol for 10 years and it helped but I had to switch to another heart drug due to ventricular rythm issues.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Kinda wish they wouldn't even have acknowledged this garbage.I get though not much to chat about and this drums up clicks,but still yet Dodd is garbage and it's not even remotely true.

Dodd is likely just providing quotes like that to make our rivals feel better about their QBs. It does drum up clicks from all SEC fans. Or he’s taking a risk at a prediction that he hopes will come true.

I have SVT and had an ablation several months ago. Simple procedure with a very high success rate. Unfortunately for me, the area they needed to ablate was too close to the heart but they did what they could. It has helped. I had mine done at UT….hope yours go well. Keep us informed.

The best thing I have found is to stay hydrated. Drink a lot of water and then drink more. I believe water is a miracle drug.

Wow, I can't believe UT's odds are that low, especially considering we don't have a double bye. UK has the best odds, imo. They have won more SEC Tournaments that the rest of the SEC combined. But, I still wouldn't touch UK or us with a ten foot pole
It was surprising. Thought we'd be around 4th-5th. 2nd? That's scary. Not even that far behind Bama as the favorite.

Reactions: The Dog
Yes, I have had two ablations, and yes, they do help, at least for awhile. I'll recount my experience.

At age 60 I suffered my first "attack" of AFib. I had traveled to Italy with two plane changes and an 4 hour train ride and was exhausted. My doctor explained that this is what prompts many of the first episodes. My cardiologist suggested the ablation, and sure enough it cured the problem, for about 4-6 months. I did not realize that the ablation procedure burns and scars the outside wall of the heart to interrupt the random voltage which is what cause the "fluttering" that I was feeling. For me it was like a butterfly let loose in my chest and was very disconcerting. The cardiologist that did mine explained all this to me and said (with a wry grin on his face) that "ablations normally work but the more they study them the less they work". What he was saying was that the heart muscle scars sometimes go away or heal and the stray voltage comes back, and so does the Afib. I had a second ablation as a "tune-up" to the first one. Same result. By the way, it seems many former athletes, particularly runners and tennis players are prone to develop Afib.

I just turned 75 and have now just learned to live with it. I have it most of the time. I played tennis regularly with it until I was 72 (my back made me give up tennis) and now play golf at least twice a week. I wish I did not have it but I can't say it significantly affects my quality of life. There are much worse things to have. Talk to your doctor about what causes it and if there are drugs to control it for you. I took sotalol for 10 years and it helped but I had to switch to another heart drug due to ventricular rythm issues.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
I’ve been exhausted constantly for a couple years. Tested for everything…..all good??

Started having slight head rushes. And then one day I collapsed at work and a friend found me out flat behind the counter in the golf shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back