Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

It is. And it’s a line that some people cannot negotiate reliably. For those people, I’d recommend abstention. But, as SS said, gluttony is a sin as well. Same temotation to overindulge.

I am the poster child for " everything in moderation." My point goes to the picking and choosing what is right and wrong based on subjective interpretations. Anyway, I have a bottle of Heaven's Door downstairs I may pour a couple of fingers of for the game this evening. One drink maximum.

May have missed a blue font there, but I think what SS is saying is, nowhere in the Bible does it say not to drink. Many times it says not to be drunk.
I believe in abstinence, but I understand why others don't. For MYSELF..I don't see the point in trying to see how close to the line I can get without making it wrong.

That is all I'm going to say about it.

Reactions: jlawso21
well that's a whole 'nother discussion.
OK.

You remember when you posted how much you hate when people get into football forums and talk about the Bible?

If you want to infer that strangers on an internet forum are hypocrites, go to their source (and not your grandma's traditions). We can talk about the Bible. Or not. Either way's cool.

When you're inferring that people are hypocrites per their adherence to it, it's important.

Important to you. I just think its funny and I was a little bored this afternoon. Personally I don't need a guide book to tell me to stop drinking, or start for that matter. You do you, champ.

So, you quoted me, and tagged me in the same post... And you're in *my* kitchen.

OK. Thx, I guess.
giphy.gif

I believe in abstinence, but I understand why others don't. For MYSELF..I don't see the point in trying to see how close to the line I can get without making it wrong.

That is all I'm going to say about it.

Completely understandable. I would NEVER try to get someone to abandon their abstinence, either. For me, the key is in where the line lies. I'm a fairly large guy. 6'6" around 220. So my line (depending on the time frame, of course) is somewhere in the third pour. So, I stop after two. I don't try to see how small I can make the third and still get more in. Honestly, most of the time, I stop after one.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Is there a good reason for all of this? I actually like you a lot and enjoy your posts. I originally responded to you for clarity.

Not seeing the good reasons to turn this into... whatever...

The point is to build back his notification count. A fool’s errand; Frank will put a swift end to those soon enough.

Is there a good reason for all of this? I actually like you a lot and enjoy your posts. I originally responded to you for clarity.

Not seeing the good reasons to turn this into... whatever...
Because he thinks believers are only slightly more advanced than Neanderthals. He thinks we are stupid.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
He's actually right. The Bible says not to get drunk. Jesus called the Pharisees hypocrites for mocking John The Baptist as a teetotaler while accusing Jesus of being a drunkard for drinking wine.

So, right there, Jesus Himself admitted to drinking wine. (i.e. You don't call someone a drunkard for drinking Welches.)
Which bears the question: Why would Jesus have turned water into wine if wine was in fact evil. Doesn’t make sense.

Because he thinks believers are only slightly more advanced than Neanderthals. He thinks we are stupid.
Maybe. Maybe not. That's for him to confirm, and even if he does... OK. So what?

My point was less religious and more akin to @SoilVol stepping into animal identification discussions. He's pretty good to have around in those discussion since he's studied the subject matter pretty intensely.

No blue font. It is clear from scripture in both OT and NT that alcohol isn't sinful, but drunkenness is. That also applies to food and anything else we are inclined to become addicted to...college football included. Being raised Baptist, I was always a bit confused as to why alcohol was viewed as strictly forbidden, but smoking and gluttony were tolerated (and even encouraged in the interest of "fellowship"), despite smoking and obesity being a far bigger health crisis than the moderate consumption of alcohol. As I got older and traveled a bit, I realized that prohibition was mostly regional, and significantly driven to combat the strong tendencies of the Scots Irish toward alcoholism. If you have a genetic predisposition toward addiction, probably best to abstain, and there are many here who can attest to the importance of that.

With that said, I do enjoy the occasional beer or bourbon, but never to excess and have not a single faith-based conflict about it. If anything, I'm quicker to avoid it now because I hate empty calories.
Such a good post.

Reactions: SSVol
I guess it all boils down to what @bignewt was attempting to achieve by his original post, "lotta bourbon and scotch drinking prayer warriors up in here today ." If it was just observational, then...oops. I guess we shoulda just ignored it. If he was attempting to suggest that people who categorize themselves as prayer warriors, being Christians, are hypocritical for drinking whilst practicing that religion, then this discussion served to inform him that it isn't forbidden to drink in the bible and, thus, drinking Christians aren't hypocritical. Unless, of course, they decry others drinking, in which case they are hypocritical. Either way, whether any individual believes the validity of the bible or not, Christians must, by their very nature, be beholden to it. If you're not a Christian, I wouldn't expect you to feel any compulsion to follow the tenets included therein any more than I would expect officials to require football players to dribble the ball.

I'm not angry, or irritated, or frustrated. I didn't intend to play any part in launching any sort of argument. I am a Christian and so my posts will, probably, often contain some reference to things I view as holy. I don't expect anyone else to agree. I do enjoy a good two-sided, civil discussion, though. Exercises the mind. Sadly, in today's society, civil disagreements are a lost art (not saying this one has devolved into incivility).

But, in the interest of getting us back on track, Go Vols, Beat the Bayou Boys!

I guess it all boils down to what @bignewt was attempting to achieve by his original post, "lotta bourbon and scotch drinking prayer warriors up in here today ." If it was just observational, then...oops. I guess we shoulda just ignored it. If he was attempting to suggest that people who categorize themselves as prayer warriors, being Christians, are hypocritical for drinking whilst practicing that religion, then this discussion served to inform him that it isn't forbidden to drink in the bible and, thus, drinking Christians aren't hypocritical. Unless, of course, they decry others drinking, in which case they are hypocritical. Either way, whether any individual believes the validity of the bible or not, Christians must, by their very nature, be beholden to it. If you're not a Christian, I wouldn't expect you to feel any compulsion to follow the tenets included therein any more than I would expect officials to require football players to dribble the ball.

I'm not angry, or irritated, or frustrated. I didn't intend to play any part in launching any sort of argument. I am a Christian and so my posts will, probably, often contain some reference to things I view as holy. I don't expect anyone else to agree. I do enjoy a good two-sided, civil discussion, though. Exercises the mind. Sadly, in today's society, civil disagreements are a lost art (not saying this one has devolved into incivility).

But, in the interest of getting us back on track, Go Vols, Beat the Bayou Boys!
The discussion was moved to the off topic thread. So by trying to get back on topic, you're off topic and must be punished.

Reactions: bignewt
The discussion was moved to the off topic thread. So by trying to get back on topic, you're off topic and must be punished.

It’s a fair court.

I wondered why it wasn’t deleted outright, but moved here, as hot button issues are forbidden here and, historically across the globe, this issue has been one of the hot buttonest.

Ok, what’s the punishment?

Reactions: Orange_Crush

VN Store

Back