Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

I don't doubt that there's some really nice places in Chattanooga, I often envy some of the benefits they have.

But it's hard to ignore the prevalence of violent crime when you're comparing staying in Knoxville to moving to Chattanooga with 2 young girls. Just hard to believe it's made national news like it has.
You're an expert on Chattanooga when speaking to Chattanoogans.

Dude, it's not "a prevalence of violent crime" (which indicates that it's widespread throughout Chattanooga). It's pockets of high crime areas that are not hard to stay away from (which means that it's not widespread throughout Chattanooga).

Y'all didn't want to move here. Fine. We'll learn to live with your decision. Just stop explaining to us long term Chattanoogans what it's like to live here. Just because your wife read an article and got scared doesn't make you an expert.

What do you have against bubble wrap?!?

I'm sure your right, but moving to a new area it can be hard to figure out what the bad areas are and if it's practical to avoid them. We were just going to live in Ooltewah and commute to work. Thankfully, I ended up in a better situation in Knoxville.
Oh Lawdy. Ooltewah is like a war zone.

Unless you grew up with Samuel L Jackson over there on that side of town…

And nowadays that side of town has built up and improved.

I think you’re wrong dude.

Baylor’s campus and surrounding is as nice as you’ll find at the high school level
Chattanooga is like almost every other city on the planet. Don't go to the wrong places, or to any places for the wrong reasons.

My wife and I have traveled abroad, mainly in countries the media tell you that you're guaranteed to get kidnapped by the cartel, have your fingers mailed as proof of life, and then murdered. Only once have we ever felt like a situation got a little sketchy, and that was because we made a bad decision looking for ice cream and ended up in a dark alley in Panama City, Panama.

Otherwise, it's been kind, generous, helpful people that love to share their culture. They'll say the same thing about their city as us Chattanoogans say about ours, and Knoxvillians say about theirs.

Know where not to go, when not to go, and what not to go doing.

The problem with statistics is that they make general statements, and then unfamiliar people read them, thinking themselves experts.

My brother is a cop in Chattanooga. He does a good job describing those violent crime stats. They are in very small pockets of the city. And they involve a very particular subset of citizens. (Basically, they're gang-on-gang crime for the most part.)

So, if a housewife reads an article about gross stats and doesn't want to move, that's understandable.

But the facts of the matter is that if she's looking to move to anywhere in about 90% of the Chattanooga area, and isn't planning to either buy/deal drugs or hang out at seedy bars at 2AM, she'll probably find the city to be an amazing place to live (except for all the West coast folks moving here and bringing their traffic with them.)

Chattanooga is like almost every other city on the planet. Don't go to the wrong places, or to any places for the wrong reasons.

My wife and I have traveled abroad, mainly in countries the media tell you that you're guaranteed to get kidnapped by the cartel, have your fingers mailed as proof of life, and then murdered. Only once have we ever felt like a situation got a little sketchy, and that was because we made a bad decision looking for ice cream and ended up in a dark alley in Panama City, Panama.

Otherwise, it's been kind, generous, helpful people that love to share their culture. They'll say the same thing about their city as us Chattanoogans say about ours, and Knoxvillians say about theirs.

Know where not to go, when not to go, and what not to go doing.

The problem with statistics is that they make general statements, and then unfamiliar people read them, thinking themselves experts.

My brother is a cop in Chattanooga. He does a good job describing those violent crime stats. They are in very small pockets of the city. And they involve a very particular subset of citizens. (Basically, they're gang-on-gang crime for the most part.)

So, if a housewife reads an article about gross stats and doesn't want to move, that's understandable.

But the facts of the matter is that if she's looking to move to anywhere in about 90% of the Chattanooga area, and isn't planning to either buy/deal drugs or hang out at seedy bars at 2AM, she'll probably find the city to be an amazing place to live (except for all the West coast folks moving here and bringing their traffic with them.)
When Dad was in law school back in late 60's, he said they would always pass the Chattanooga exit. Still to this day he wont stop there, unless visiting family.

Old habits.

Reactions: Orange_Crush
When Dad was in law school back in late 60's, he said they would always pass the Chattanooga exit. Still to this day he wont stop there, unless visiting family.

Old habits.
Understood. I get it. It's natural. My main issue was a with someone who was scared away from experiencing a place actually telling us that live here, about here. And frankly, doing a laughable job of it.

Saying, "I'm sure there are some nice places in Chattanooga" in reference to the pockets of crime is like saying "I'm sure there were some nice parts of Cindy Crawford" because she had a rash on her knee once.

Chattanooga is an exception place to live and raise a family. It's a supermodel of mid-sized cities.

Understood. I get it. It's natural. My main issue was a with someone who was scared away from experiencing a place actually telling us that live here, about here. And frankly, doing a laughable job of it.

Saying, "I'm sure there are some nice places in Chattanooga" in reference to the pockets of crime is like saying "I'm sure there were some nice parts of Cindy Crawford" because she had a rash on her knee once.

Chattanooga is an exception place to live and raise a family. It's a supermodel of mid-sized cities.
I will always love Chattanooga...we thought really hard the last couple of years about moving back down there to be close to the grandson, but I just feel like I'm where I'm supposed to be...even if I don't like it that much..lol.

I will always love Chattanooga...we thought really hard the last couple of years about moving back down there to be close to the grandson, but I just feel like I'm where I'm supposed to be...even if I don't like it that much..lol.
As much as wife and I have loved Chattanooga for decades, we have somewhere else we'd rather be. We stay here out of commitments, but will one day be elsewhere.

I get it, friend. Kudos for a bit of selflessness in life.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill

I think we're going to need photographic proof of those "nice parts of Cindy Crawford".

As much as wife and I have loved Chattanooga for decades, we have somewhere else we'd rather be. We stay here out of commitments, but will one day be elsewhere.

I get it, friend. Kudos for a bit of selflessness in life.
My life doesn't really belong to me if you know what I mean...and that will always be alright with me.

Little secret I will tell you..I am not what I seem to be here. It's not a "persona"...I am what I am, but nobody here sees all the things I do and have done to help others...what you see here is me, but it is not ALL of me..it's more like a outlet for the worst part of me...a safe place for me to vent my inner frustrations.

I may come back and delete this..lol.

Stop making smalls and mediums and double up on XL and XXL production. This is America
tenor.gif

VN Store

Back