Rest In Peace

I get the argument about Ruth and agree actually, but baseball became what it did because of him.

Bonds was in the convo before the roids made his head big.

If someone says Mays and Aaron are the two greatest, I won’t argue. I may be biased though, I am a huge fan of Aaron.

Yeah, it's close with Mays and Aaron. I think what knocks Ruth down is the three best players outside of him all time wouldn't have been allowed to play against him. Not to mention players like Pujols, A-roid, etc....

Ruth is most impactful player all time....

Reactions: ArdentVol
Look at the wheels falling off Mike Trout, look what happened to Griffey, Mantle.

CF is hard on the body and Mays played and contributed into his 40s.

He puts up Bonds numbers or Aaron's numbers if he got to camp in right or left field...

My favorite encounter with a famous musician was meeting Bonnie Raitt backstage on her 40th birthday. After the show, the few of us with backstage passes were huddled in a modest room in the bowels of the Fox Theater waiting… waiting… when Bonnie burst in wearing nothing but an oversized tie-die t-shirt. She exclaimed, “Where have you been?!” She proceeded to plop down on the table next to me and explained that she had to get cleaned up after her band had pied her (it was after midnight and her birthday). We all wished her a happy birthday. She noticed that my backstage pass was pinned to my shirt with an old Adlai Stevenson campaign pin. She said, “nice pin,” removed my pass, signed it, and pinned it back on my shirt. She chatted us up like we were neighbors until someone came to the door to retrieve her.

Awhile later, she won four Grammy awards. During the ceremony, Bette Midler won an award, and the first thing she said was “Look, Bonnie! I got one, too!” It reminded me of hanging around backstage at the Fox.
What a Great memory to have....Good times

Yeah, it's close with Mays and Aaron. I think what knocks Ruth down is the three best players outside of him all time wouldn't have been allowed to play against him. Not to mention players like Pujols, A-roid, etc....

Ruth is most impactful player all time....
We agree on that, I’ve always made the same argument about players not playing against some of the best players pre #42.

Look at the wheels falling off Mike Trout, look what happened to Griffey, Mantle.

CF is hard on the body and Mays played and contributed into his 40s.

He puts up Bonds numbers or Aaron's numbers if he got to camp in right or left field...
I still put Jr. up there. He was better than Barry early.

didnt see that this had already been posted. TV reported yesyerday he wouldnt be here for rickwood classic, etc

My favorite encounter with a famous musician was meeting Bonnie Raitt backstage on her 40th birthday. After the show, the few of us with backstage passes were huddled in a modest room in the bowels of the Fox Theater waiting… waiting… when Bonnie burst in wearing nothing but an oversized tie-die t-shirt. She exclaimed, “Where have you been?!” She proceeded to plop down on the table next to me and explained that she had to get cleaned up after her band had pied her (it was after midnight and her birthday). We all wished her a happy birthday. She noticed that my backstage pass was pinned to my shirt with an old Adlai Stevenson campaign pin. She said, “nice pin,” removed my pass, signed it, and pinned it back on my shirt. She chatted us up like we were neighbors until someone came to the door to retrieve her.

Awhile later, she won four Grammy awards. During the ceremony, Bette Midler won an award, and the first thing she said was “Look, Bonnie! I got one, too!” It reminded me of hanging around backstage at the Fox.
I remember in the 70's when we had just moved to Knoxville from Hawaii and I did not even have a driver's license yet so my parents dropped me off at the coliseum for a concert, it was Ace and someone else, I just left while the sun was still shinning and was waiting in back of the coliseum for my parents to pick me back up, and here comes a very drunk musician out of the back door trying to hug on me, who he was I don't have a clue, but I kept telling him to "get out of here" because I just knew he would be hanging on me when my parents pulled up and sure enough he was. When I got in the car, Dad was saying "who is that", and I said "I don't know". He could have been famous. But I have no idea, I can't even remember who the other band was, I was still mad about having to leave all of my friends over in Hawaii, that's why I left the concert right after Ace started playing.

Like Mojo said, Mays lasted in CF. very few others have. Griffey was the best player I grew up watching, but his career undoubtedly got cut short. Bonds chose to focus on his hitting let's say and other stuff fell off. I don't think anyone had everything like Mays did.
Bonds didn’t just focus on hitting. I’ve always thought he was pissed about all the attention McGiure and Sosa got in ‘98, so he said watch what I can do on HGH.

We agree on that, I’ve always made the same argument about players not playing against some of the best players pre #42.

Yeah, we are 100% on the same page here. It's an uncomfortable argument for some.

Only 10/28 of the players in the 500 HR club would have been allowed to play during Ruth's era.....

"I was in awe of him,'' Hall of Fame catcher Johnny Bench said. "The first time I met him [at the 1968 All-Star Game], the day before the game, he whispered in my ear, 'You should be starting the All-Star Game.' When he left, I couldn't even speak for a short time. It was like, 'Oh my God, Willie Mays just talked to me.' That's how great Willie was.''
One of the greatest players of all time, Frank Robinson, was asked once if Willie Mays was the best player he had ever seen. Robinson got that annoyed look on his face and rolled his eyes, insulted that the question was even asked. After a pause, he answered: "Of course he is. He's good as you want him to be. You can't exaggerate how great he was.''

VN Store

Back