Riggs Thinking Heisman??

ya got a point there if peyton couldnt do it riggs is gonna have a hard time....jim brown couldnt get respect if he wore our orange lol....I WISH THE ESPN BIAS WOULD GO AWAY lol

Originally posted by TNFanBornandRaised@Feb 16, 2005 10:43 PM
ya got a point there if peyton couldnt do it riggs is gonna have a hard time....jim brown couldnt get respect if he wore our orange lol....I WISH THE ESPN BIAS WOULD GO AWAY lol

I gotta disagree, I think he would. Jim Brown is the greatest player in the history of the modern game, IMO.

IMO ESPN was the biggest reason PM did not win in 97 and as long as ESPN is biased against us nobody wearing orange has a chance. I agree with you milo, AP is the best RB in the country. After finishing 2nd in the voting last year, he has to be one of the favorites next season. As long as Linart and AP stay healthy, one of those guys will win it.

I don't understand all the bandwagon following for Peterson, but Riggs is just as talented as the OK back. By looking at the last bowl games for each player, Riggs had the better game (yes Milo, USC stacked the line with success). Peterson is a great back but with a new qb and o-line, he's going to struggle; mark my words.

Riggs all the way! :rocks:

Originally posted by Z06Vol@Feb 17, 2005 5:40 AM
By looking at the last bowl games for each player, Riggs had the better game (yes Milo, USC stacked the line with success). Peterson is a great back but with a new qb and o-line, he's going to struggle; mark my words.

That also ranks among the best-executed defensive games I have ever seen, IMO.

ESPN is biased, but Lee Corso is easily the most anti-vol comentator I know. He is down on UT just because he is real good friends with Jonny Majors, and he still resents the fact that Fulmer "took" Major's job away from him.

I doubt Riggs will be a finalist, but I am sure he will have an even better year this year.

Well if Riggs does get close and gets screwed, I've still got my shirt from '97. Anyone else have one? It says, "You can keep your stupid trophy!" I think they were $5 at Houndogs the day after the announcement.

Riggs may not be the best back at Tennessee anymore, certainly not the Conference and he's talking Heis-T-man? Just shut up already and don't fumble the ball, ok! :bad:

Originally posted by milohimself+Feb 17, 2005 4:36 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (milohimself @ Feb 17, 2005 4:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TNFanBornandRaised@Feb 16, 2005 10:43 PM

I gotta disagree, I think he would. Jim Brown is the greatest player in the history of the modern game, IMO. [/quote]
You think so Milo? How about Jim Brown finishing behind a defensive player from Oklahoma??

Here are the Heisman standings from 1956....

1. QB Paul Hornung, Notre Dame
2. RB Johnny Majors, Tennessee
3. HB Tom McDonald, Oklahoma
4. LB Jerry Tubbs, Oklahoma
5. HB Jim Brown, Syracuse

So good was Brown that the late Dick Schaap refused to ever vote for the Heisman Trophy again after Brown didn&#39;t win in 1956.

The performance: Just call it the greatest individual performance in college football history. In a 61-7 win over Colgate in 1956, Jim Brown scored 43 points with six touchdowns and seven conversions as he ran 22 times for 197 yards. Included in his two one-yard TD runs were scores from 15, 50, 8, and 19 yards out with the most sensational being the breathtaking 50-yard run showing both his power and speed.

JIMBRO1.JPG

And in case you would like a little Heisman trivia, Hornung was the first and only player from a team with a losing record to win the Heisman. The Fighting Irish finished 2-8 in 1956. And the Vols... well they were 10-0 and ranked #2 at the time of the voting.

Sounds almost like the other first in 1997... the only defensive player to ever win the Heisman, Charles Woodson.

Adding Hank Lauricella&#39;s 2nd place finish in 1951 and Heath Shuler&#39;s 2nd place finish in 1993, the Vols are tied for most 2nd place finishers for the Heisman Trophy.

Originally posted by U&#045;T@Feb 16, 2005 9:11 PM
Nothing I hate worse then someone pumping themselves up.

You win as a team...not single individuals.

Everybody needs to read the article more carefully. He has stated his primary goals as being team oriented.

And the reporter would be stupid to not ask about personal goals. I personally would not want a starting tailback that did not set his personal goals high... to be the best.

Riggs goals....
1. Get to the SEC Championship Game
2. Win the SEC Championship Game
3. Make a run at the National Championship
4. Rush for 1,500 yards
5. Contend for Heisman Trophy

SECONDARY GOAL
PERSONAL GOALS
"Personally, I want to rush for 1,500 yards and be in the running for the Heisman Trophy.&#39;&#39;

I love Riggs&#39; attitude lately. But, the Heisman trophy candidate on the Volunteer roster isn&#39;t Riggs - it&#39;s Erik Ainge. Remember, he made ESPN&#39;s hype list last year as a Heisman trophy candidate. They seem to like the west coast kid over there at ESPN.

Keep doing what you&#39;re doing Mr. Riggs&#33;

Originally posted by milohimself@Feb 16, 2005 5:43 PM
I know I&#39;m going to get flamed for this, but while Riggs is an outstanding running back, he shouldn&#39;t get the Heisman. As much as I love watching him run, he is not the best running back in the country, much less the best player. As much as I dislike the Sooners, Adrian Peterson is probably the best RB in the country. And because they are starting a Green at QB, I&#39;m going to predict that AP wins the Heisman this season.

I don&#39;t understand how you can say who should, or shouldn&#39;t win the Heisman at this point.

The Heisman is an award given annually to the best player in the nation. It has nothing to do with how many yards Peterson or Bush gained this year. It has nothing to do with how many Heismans Leinart has won or what his numbers have been. It is all about the best player for each individual year.

You don&#39;t know yet how worthy or unworthy Riggs would be in 05. No one does.

Since it&#39;s an annual award for a single season accomplishment, Riggs has every bit as much reason to shoot for it as Leinart, Bush or Peterson.

Who knows? He could have a fantastic year, gain over 2000 yards and bring the ugly trophy home.

Originally posted by lll Communication@Feb 18, 2005 12:45 PM
I love Riggs&#39; attitude lately. But, the Heisman trophy candidate on the Volunteer roster isn&#39;t Riggs - it&#39;s Erik Ainge. Remember, he made ESPN&#39;s hype list last year as a Heisman trophy candidate. They seem to like the west coast kid over there at ESPN.

Keep doing what you&#39;re doing Mr. Riggs&#33;

Hey now, we could have two Heisman trophy candidates next year...But that won&#39;t happen because ESPN wouldn&#39;t show the presentation if we did LOL....Ainge will be our best shot at it but Riggs has a good shot as well

Originally posted by allvol+Feb 18, 2005 11:07 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (allvol &#064; Feb 18, 2005 11:07 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-U&#045;T@Feb 16, 2005 9:11 PM
Nothing I hate worse then someone pumping themselves up.

You win as a team...not single individuals.

Everybody needs to read the article more carefully. He has stated his primary goals as being team oriented.

And the reporter would be stupid to not ask about personal goals. I personally would not want a starting tailback that did not set his personal goals high... to be the best.

Riggs goals....
4. Rush for 1,500 yards

SECONDARY GOAL
PERSONAL GOALS
"Personally, I want to rush for 1,500 yards and be in the running for the Heisman Trophy.&#39;&#39;
[/quote]
Exactly&#33;

All are very reasonable goals. They may or may not be attainable, but they&#39;re reasonable and were put forth with grace.

There&#39;s no show-boating in that article.

Lets give the kid a chance to strut his stuff.

I have no doubt, that had he been the main ball carrier, getting 30 carriers per game, that he would have gained 1500 yards or more in 04.

If he gets the carries, he could do that in 05.

Riggs for Heisman&#33;

GO BIG ORANGE&#33;

I went to every game Riggs played his senior year in high school. He was a great kid then, and I&#39;m proud to see him mature as he has. Consider this though, as good a tailback as he was in HS, he was that much better at linebacker. I&#39;ve always wondered whether Gerald chose to play the wrong position for the Volunteers.

Originally posted by allvol@Feb 18, 2005 11:07 AM

Riggs goals....
4. Rush for 1,500 yards

SECONDARY GOAL
PERSONAL GOALS

I was not even talking about Riggs in general but the general theme of players like Benson at Texas who feel they are above their team.

Geez people....some take comments way too over-board.

allvol always throws out a flurry of stats. That&#39;s why we love him around.

I don&#39;t know who will win the Heisman, but if Riggs is even a legitimate contender, I will be suprised. And even though I don&#39;t know, I&#39;m not allowed to speculate as to who might? Jeeze... I have just as much of a clue as the next guy, but it doesn&#39;t mean I&#39;m gonna keep my mouth shut on it. Football wouldn&#39;t be any fun to watch and especially talk about without speculation. It&#39;s part of the grandeur that goes with the game.

Originally posted by milohimself@Feb 18, 2005 7:12 PM
allvol always throws out a flurry of stats. That&#39;s why we love him around.

I don&#39;t know who will win the Heisman, but if Riggs is even a legitimate contender, I will be suprised. And even though I don&#39;t know, I&#39;m not allowed to speculate as to who might? Jeeze... I have just as much of a clue as the next guy, but it doesn&#39;t mean I&#39;m gonna keep my mouth shut on it. Football wouldn&#39;t be any fun to watch and especially talk about without speculation. It&#39;s part of the grandeur that goes with the game.

I can say I&#39;m the Pope, that doesn&#39;t mean it&#39;s right though.

I&#39;m not trying to flame, I&#39;m just attempting to inject a measure of common sense; that being, if the Heisman is truly voted for its specific intent, which it rarely is, but if it were, then a RB with a couple thousand yards would have to be considered.

And I think Riggs has the potential to do that. He&#39;s got some great line prospects returning, a very solid passing attack to relieve pressure on the running game, and if he starts popping of 150-200 yard games, you can bet your bippy CPF see to it he gets the carries.

Free speech is just that, free, but it shouldn&#39;t be cheap. ;)

I don&#39;t know... I just can&#39;t picture Riggs as a Heisman contender. Just doesn&#39;t seem to add up to me. I think our offense will be too evenly spread-out, and Riggs doesn&#39;t quite have that spectacular ability to stand out like a potential Heisman winner. He is very good, though, and will still be in that upper echelon of runners next season.

None of us have really seen Riggs play a full game back to back. Last year was a pretty good year for him considering that he shared time with Houston. I mean, he had over 1,100 yards and really only played half of the season. It will be interesting to see how he does once he gets in full rhythm. If a place in the Heisman run is there at the end of the season, fine. If it&#39;s not, that&#39;s fine too.

Here&#39;s an interesting stat . . .

There has NEVER been a back get either 300 carries or 1,500 yards in Vol history.

We have always divied up the carries to keep guys fresh.

Originally posted by GAVol@Feb 18, 2005 11:10 PM
There has NEVER been a back get either 300 carries or 1,500 yards in Vol history.

That is an interesting fact indeed. It might change next year if Riggs stays healthy and no other RB can learn the blocking assignments.

VN Store

Back