Rocky Top Goes Woke

Good point, variety and balance in viewpoints is very important.
I have no real idea what the ideological makeup of UT's faculty is today. If it's all radical wokesters with no centrists or conservatives then I'd say there's a problem. Somehow I doubt that that's the case.
Actually brought this up to my state Senator last year. He recognized lack of different perspectives as a problem several years ago as well. The problem is conservative professors are like unicorns, they virtually do not exist.

Reactions: AM64 and OrangeTsar
Leftist ideas typically come from those that have never worked in the private sector or those so wealthy they’re separated from reality
Hence the old saying "Those that can do, those that cannot teach". People that teach for a living aren't inclined to go out and support capitalism by starting a business or working in one.

Reactions: Carl Pickens
Hence the old saying "Those that can do, those that cannot teach". People that teach for a living aren't inclined to go out and support capitalism by starting a business or working in one.
How many teachers do you know with side gigs? I've known quite a few.

Reactions: AM64
Actually brought this up to my state Senator last year. He recognized lack of different perspectives as a problem several years ago as well. The problem is conservative professors are like unicorns, they virtually do not exist.
Did you ask your State Senator why they continue to fully fund the universities under these conditions?

Reactions: GroverCleveland
This should be obliterated from our midst. The people of TN do not want this in the land of the (still) free. That is why they sneak such things under the cover of darkness.

Rocky Top's DEI Agenda | City Journal

Though UTK had zero administrators dedicated to DEI at the beginning of 2018, it now has at least 26. Though the budget for DEI was zeroed out in 2018, raw salaries for DEI officials, a very conservative estimate of costs, exceeded $1.8 million in 2021. Just as striking as these personnel and budget numbers is the transformation of academic life. UTK revised its General Education curriculum to emphasize “service learning” and “global citizenship,” indicating that the school is weaving progressive political activism into the curriculum.

If this remains, my children will never attend a single class there, I swear it. You will be dead to me and but a memory of the past I once dreamed in a better time.

My my you folks are a sensitive bunch

I'll let you. Let us know how it goes.
You Are the one making outlandish unsupported claims. I ain’t doing your work for you. If you wish to claim the world is flat, the burden of proof is on you, not the sane.
Now get to it!!!!!!!!

Admittedly I have no idea what is going on with respect to Singapore and DEI.

We are discussing the DEI offensive that is being waged here. How is the right pushing DEI here?
My point is that there is nothing inherently leftist in the concept of DEI, by definition. It can be applied apolitically and rationally, but probably not in the US. I do agree that today those I see pushing DEI in the US are more to the left.

I'm not assuming anything regarding such funding. It may be happening. Where's a good source of information on 'funding of woke silliness in US universities'?
I wish I knew. About 40% of college and university funding comes from federal and state governments. In my very limited experience with government funds, certain expectations are part of the agreement before funds are released.

How many teachers do you know with side gigs? I've known quite a few.
Never known of one college professor to work a "side gig". Never known of one female K-12 teacher work a "side gig". I think every male K-12 teacher I've known worked a "side gig". What does that tell you?

VN Store

Back