Rocky Top Goes Woke

Some of us still want to leave a fully functioning republic with the basic humanist values of the enlightenment for our grandchildren you know. We don’t want to leave them with Venezuela on the Potomac

I’m not sure how this affects that goal.

UT (like many other universities) has been a breeding ground for leftist ideas. Several of the UT professors (that moved here from liberal parts of the country) have been hijacking Knox county school board meetings and also had a hand in the mask mandates for school children. They’re doing their best to take over.

I hear that Obama, Clinton and Soros are in Mexico preparing to lead an army of gay/trans migrants on a march through the deep south. Shut your windows and lock your doors: They want to take over! Eeeekkkkk!

My point is that there is nothing inherently leftist in the concept of DEI, by definition. It can be applied apolitically and rationally, but probably not in the US. I do agree that today those I see pushing DEI in the US are more to the left.
I would argue the DEI push we see here in the US comes exclusively from the Left, there is nothing apolitical about it.

I would also argue there is nothing “rational” about its application here.

Never known of one college professor to work a "side gig". Never known of one female K-12 teacher work a "side gig". I think every male K-12 teacher I've known worked a "side gig". What does that tell you?
I’ve known many public school teachers that painted houses in the summer.

Reactions: AM64
Wasn’t an agreement or disagreement. Simply an observation.

I don’t understand the point you try to make with the last line of your post
My point is that the only "educators" I've ever known that work during the summer are men. Never met a woman that did, and the few college professors I know didn't exactly look for manual labor jobs during their summer break.

Never known of one college professor to work a "side gig". Never known of one female K-12 teacher work a "side gig". I think every male K-12 teacher I've known worked a "side gig". What does that tell you?

Several of my UT professors (nuclear engineering types) had consulting jobs. It probably depends a lot on what someone teaches as to whether he/she has a marketable outside opportunity. Almost every professor in the Nuclear Engineering Department had some sort of relationship with ORNL, and that was in the days before UT had a hand in operating ORNL. Two of my professors and a UT grad employed by ORNL formed and were operating a company in the 1970s that is still operating today (Technology for Energy Corp).

You need a larger sample size of female K-12 teachers.

Several of my UT professors (nuclear engineering types) had consulting jobs. It probably depends a lot on what someone teaches as to whether he/she has a marketable outside opportunity. Almost every professor in the Nuclear Engineering Department had some sort of relationship with ORNL, and that was in the days before UT had a hand in operating ORNL. Two of my professors and a UT grad employed by ORNL formed and were operating a company in the 1970s that is still operating today (Technology for Energy Corp).

Pretty much my experience as well with engineering faculty and business as well. Most of them have consulting side gigs in their private companies. I guess Volstrom's liberal arts acquaintances must not consult much.

Pretty much my experience as well with engineering faculty and business as well. Most of them have consulting side gigs in their private companies. I guess Volstrom's liberal arts acquaintances must not consult much.

I was thinking Volstrom was engineering (could be wrong), so I was surprised by his response.

Reactions: volkyries
I hear that Obama, Clinton and Soros are in Mexico preparing to lead an army of gay/trans migrants on a march through the deep south. Shut your windows and lock your doors: They want to take over! Eeeekkkkk!

I bet you'd welcome them with your pink corset and heels.

I was thinking Volstrom was engineering (could be wrong), so I was surprised by his response.

Yeah, I thought so as well. I was just messing with the liberal arts comment. Guess I could have used blue font for it.

I really didn't consider the consulting jobs that most science related professors had to be "side jobs" as much they all did it and considered it to be part of their compensation.
What I consider a side job is summer break type of work. I have a niece that teaches, I'll have to ask her how many of her female colleagues work during the summer. My sample size may be out of date, since almost every teacher I have known is long retired.

VN Store

Back