'20 SC WR Jalin Hyatt (UT SIGNEE)

If JG learns to throw a screen... (as a senior come on man)... this guy could have a big year

After rewatching some games I’ve convinced myself Mauer will be the primary guy this year. He is absolutely electric. Great timing on slants and crossing routes. I’m hoping he can learn under Chaney to take that next step this year. Guys with a lot of speed like Hyatt would benefit most from a guy like Mauer throwing to them hitting them in stride. I think HB has that potential to be a great passer, but it’ll be tough to come in as a freshman and win the job.

After rewatching some games I’ve convinced myself Mauer will be the primary guy this year. He is absolutely electric. Great timing on slants and crossing routes. I’m hoping he can learn under Chaney to take that next step this year. Guys with a lot of speed like Hyatt would benefit most from a guy like Mauer throwing to them hitting them in stride. I think HB has that potential to be a great passer, but it’ll be tough to come in as a freshman and win the job.
Yeah I’m hoping Maurer is improved enough to take over this season and allow Bailey to redshirt (but play in 4 games). Maurer made some mistakes obviously but he also made some momentum changing plays.

Yeah I’m hoping Maurer is improved enough to take over this season and allow Bailey to redshirt (but play in 4 games). Maurer made some mistakes obviously but he also made some momentum changing plays.
This may be a unpopular opinion, but I think Maurer has other issues he needs to get in order between the ears. For one, if he doesn't get over being criticized then SEC football was a bad career choice. I wouldn't be surprised if that one poster in the FF isn't Maurer himself.

Reactions: Big Orange#1
JG is the guy. Following Bama game he matured a lot last season and settled in. Won't be hampered by the mitt, good oline, and more time in the system. Sad it took so long, but he's the best qb going into the season. Maurer will get snaps. We'll be fine.

Reactions: irish1485
JG is the guy. Following Bama game he matured a lot last season and settled in. Won't be hampered by the mitt, good oline, and more time in the system. Sad it took so long, but he's the best qb going into the season. Maurer will get snaps. We'll be fine.
I honestly forgot about JG’s hand injury. As long as our overall QB play is better I don’t care who they trot out there. Think it will be the difference between winning 7-8 games or possibly winning 10 (or more).

Reactions: VolsSince78

Maurer‘s mistakes in the RZ still haunt me. He could have done some legendary stuff if he had thrown it away. Hope he’s added some serious weight. He is tiny.

Me personally...I prefer Shrout over Maurer
Shrout needs live game reps. He was only a one year starter in HS and it shows. I hope Shrout sticks with it because he will be a weapon as a upperclassman. IMO he's just like Trask, Trask never started in HS. Sat the bench at UF and as a RS Jr he looked pretty dang good. Shrout has a similar trajectory

Shrout needs live game reps. He was only a one year starter in HS and it shows. I hope Shrout sticks with it because he will be a weapon as a upperclassman. IMO he's just like Trask, Trask never started in HS. Sat the bench at UF and as a RS Jr he looked pretty dang good. Shrout has a similar trajectory
Yup...man that play action deep bomb he threw in the SCjr game was a thing a beauty.

This may be a unpopular opinion, but I think Maurer has other issues he needs to get in order between the ears. For one, if he doesn't get over being criticized then SEC football was a bad career choice. I wouldn't be surprised if that one poster in the FF isn't Maurer himself.
What’d I miss in the FF?

What’d I miss in the FF?
I think he’s referencing 1Vol8. On Maurer I’ll say this, when he started the UGA game there was a lot of waiting for someone else to do something on this roster. Maurer went out there and wasn’t afraid to perform and that in itself sparked the rest of the bunch into waking up. Don’t know if he’d have done the same starting the season against Georgia State and BYU and that will remain an unknown. If he’d have been QB of record in those two losses there would have been that ever faithful contingent that would pinpoint the decision as another Pruitt failure...only thing you can count on. 😏 So I give Maurer large credit for the change in attitude and remain open minded on his future.

Me personally...I prefer Shrout over Maurer
After watching both play I prefer neither. Shrout didn't play enough to confirm for sure but I can see how he could easily become an interception machine. Maurer showed some promise early on and could probably make a decent QB if he quit throwing it to the other team in the redzone.

Here's to hoping HB is the real deal. We certainly need him to be.

I think he’s referencing 1Vol8. On Maurer I’ll say this, when he started the UGA game there was a lot of waiting for someone else to do something on this roster. Maurer went out there and wasn’t afraid to perform and that in itself sparked the rest of the bunch into waking up. Don’t know if he’d have done the same starting the season against Georgia State and BYU and that will remain an unknown. If he’d have been QB of record in those two losses there would have been that ever faithful contingent that would pinpoint the decision as another Pruitt failure...only thing you can count on. 😏 So I give Maurer large credit for the change in attitude and remain open minded on his future.
Know what I never understood? I never understood how Maurer turned the ball over so much and still got to play while Shrout sat on the sidelines..... but I agree with your statements.

Maurer was a great spark and change of pace but he wasn’t great. I think he did some good things but also very bad. His hype was just us being sick of JG. I think HB is the only elite QB on roster. Shrouts throw to Calloway was a beauty.

Know what I never understood? I never understood how Maurer turned the ball over so much and still got to play while Shrout sat on the sidelines..... but I agree with your statements.
Things he ALMOST did got a way shorter leash than what the other QBs ACTUALLY did. And by “way shorter” I mean microscopic.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
Things he ALMOST did got a way shorter leash than what the other QBs ACTUALLY did. And by “way shorter” I mean microscopic.
I know always seemed he was getting laid into..... maybe that tells me they have higher expectations for Shrout. Possibly why he was the #2 going into this Spring Practice.

Reactions: butchna

VN Store

Back