Season Predictions

I'm at 9-3, but hope Joe proves to better expected. Lose to Georgia. Lose one of Bama, Texas A&M, Florida, USC. Win the rest. Throw in an extra loss though, because Milton may be inconsistent and our offense has an unexpected bad game.

Georgia - unfortunatley I expect Carson Beck to step right in at QB and even compete for the Heisman. From the tape I've watched of him, he looks very poised and polished. I think we play a much closer game in Knoxville and test Georgia, but Beck and Georgia are too much to handle.

Bama - While winning in Tuscaloosa is a near impossibility, until Bama gets the QB position situated I think we stand a chance. There is no doubt that we will be under dogs though and you know Saban has to be livid that we scored 52 on him last year. I'm sure he has devoted some part of his offseason to figure out how he will stop our offense this year. But if not, will he have a QB to keep up like Bryce Young, or even remotely close to him? I'm projecting this one as a loss for now though.

Texas A&M - are they still overrated or are they making good strides? They lost a lot of one score games last season. Add in a new OC. Is that enough to make a huge difference in the win and loss column for them? I guess until I see it, I have a hard time believing their offense will keep up with ours, especially at Neyland. I'm projecting us to win this one.

Florida - winning at the swamp is never easy and getting a win over Florida will be a dogfight regardless of each team's talent. Unfortunately Joe has already given Florida players some good bulletin board material. I still have us as the favorites in this game, but don't feel good about it. This could be Milton's first real test of adversity as the starting QB. Will he sink or swim this time?

USC - Tennessee players will have revenge on their minds. So will fans who have been having to hear USCjr fans for the whole offseason.There is no way we overlook this game. I'd be shocked to lose this game, but if Rattler has our number again, what can you do? But our defense should be even more improved playing with the energy of our home crowd. I don't see it happening again. Tennessee wins.

Mizzou, UTSA, UK, etc - Maybe we lose one of these games, or more likely we lose to two of the aforementioned teams (Bama, A&M, Florida, USC) instead of just one. But thats just to temper expectations. Joe could be more consistent than expected and have us go on a really good run.
What extensive tape have you watched of Beck? Mop up duty? Why are y'all so scared of georgia.

Reactions: igotworms
There is no shame in that. They overachieved to this point, and were very fortunate. Things will even out in terms of luck and good fortune. They replace a lot of production, and they still have a questionable defensive backfield, as well as OL. The interior DL is thin. It will catch up to them this year. The question is what does it cost them in terms of current and future recruiting. The coaching job has still been brilliant and isn't deteriorating. The roster and depth improvement just has to continue to eliminate years with more downside.
Don’t quite understand this

So routing LSU, beating Bama, FL, Clemson and enroute to an 11 win season was due to luck? Also, DL is not thin. They have 6 quality players who are all upperclassman that will all rotate plus Daveon Hobbs who will get some snaps. I will say OL particularly LG us thin until Mays gets back at center. As far as secondary, that remains to be seen.

Callin 9-3 expecting 10 wins tho....and think 11 is possible...4 t/ East title. We have Bama at their house not expecting the dub there!

Reactions: KeyVol14
9-3 with a bowl win to hit 10-3.

BUT

This will be the last season we don't make the playoffs for a good while. Expanding playoffs to 12 teams means our beloved VOLS will have at least a punchers chance to win it all nearly every year once we make the playoffs. The future is very very bright on the Hill thanks to our great CJH and the AD that hired him

Reactions: KeyVol14
13-1 lose to either Georgia or at Alabama, but hoping for 15-0 and Heupel raising the trophy.... Now I was told there is a pick'em contest ran here during football season.....

Don’t quite understand this

So routing LSU, beating Bama, FL, Clemson and enroute to an 11 win season was due to luck? Also, DL is not thin. They have 6 quality players who are all upperclassman that will all rotate plus Daveon Hobbs who will get some snaps. I will say OL particularly LG us thin until Mays gets back at center. As far as secondary, that remains to be seen.
Wasn't luck, but they have been on the good side of injuries and the breaks that can go either way in a game and across a season.

Last year means nothing. Last year Mizzou played GA a lot better than we did and they won at SCe by 2 TD's. That same team that beat us by almost 30. Yet we pulled away late and blew Mizzou out. So if GA had lost to Mizzou last year would they be going backwards or just got caught not being focused. I guess we will see in a few months how dangerous of a game it is..I hope to hell it's not , but I'd bet a lot of money it won't be an easy game. Anybody that watches college football knows how dangerous SEC road games can be. Especially as cold and potentially snowy as it can be in Mizzou in November. Even moreso when it's the week before possibly our biggest game of the season vs GA
If that's the case we can lose to anyone. Watch out for Virginia

So many factors to say how every game will go. I think the ceiling is a undefeated season and the worst case floor season is 8-4. I won’t concede any game, we are capable of beating everyone on our schedule. There are also 2-3 games that could easily go either way. I say am pretty confident of 10-2 and still think 11-1 is quite possible. It’s tough for anybody to win them all but I give us a shot at making the playoffs if the breaks fall our way. Get ready for a fun and exciting season! GBO

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer
11-1
Listening to Ainge yesterday and he made a great point. If Ga shows up and we only have a loss to bama and the game is for the East, Neyland will be unlike anything we’ve ever seen. Gameday will be there, the fans will be insane, the players will know they are playing for a shot at a championship, and it will be the most hostile environment Carson Beck has ever witnessed. I like the vols in another instant classic my friends 😉!
”may be” ??

12-1 regular season. We lose the first matchup with Bama, but win the one that matters in Atlanta.
Wouldn’t this be a fun season. They drop to 3 after loss in SECCG we go to 4. Both win Semis and then beat Bama for the ring .

I'll listen to a positive analysis and think 10-2 then a negative one and think 9-3 lol. Maybe the schedule is tougher than I'm thinking. But maybe the defense will really be that much better?

Wouldn’t this be a fun season. They drop to 3 after loss in SECCG we go to 4. Both win Semis and then beat Bama for the ring .
That would be totally awesome.

However, I don't think we can be ranked #4 with a 12-1 record after winning in Atlanta. Let's play this out:
  • On the TSIO, we're 6-0, having already defeated Florida, A&M, and USCe. We're probably already in the Top 5 at that point.
  • We lose to Bama, dropping to 6-1, and probably dropping a few spots. Somewhere in the 6-10 range.
  • Then we rattle off three wins in a row, getting to 9-1. Probably one of just a handful of teams in the country with less than 2 losses.
  • At this point, Georgia is likely the #1 team in the land, and undefeated. They come into Neyland. We beat them.
  • No way we don't pop up into one of the Top 3 or 4 spots at that point. Say, Bama, Ohio State, Michigan, and us. In some order.
  • We beat Vandy, then go to Atlanta. Where we beat Bama's ass like it's 2022.
  • Worst case for us then is #2, behind one of the B10 schools (whichever one beat the other the weekend after we beat UGa). If the OSU-Mich winner loses their conference CG, we could be #1, at 12-1, going into the playoffs.
For us to be #4 at that point, there would have to be not one, but two TCU-like teams running the table through the regular season and their own CG. Say Oklahoma and Clemson. But two undefeateds from lesser conferences, plus the B10 champ, plus us as the SEC champ, leaves no room for Bama.

See? I just don't think it could happen that we're 12-1, SEC champs, and just #4.

A better way to manufacture the third meeting of the season between us and the Gumps in the national championship game is to have us at #1 and them at #3 after Atlanta. Or us at #2 and them at #4.

It is most definitely fun to contemplate. Here's hoping it plays out that way.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
I'll listen to a positive analysis and think 10-2 then a negative one and think 9-3 lol. Maybe the schedule is tougher than I'm thinking. But maybe the defense will really be that much better?
Only concern I have is LG. Once Mays gets back that should settle some things. Huepel should be able to scheme around it as well. Defense as a whole should be improved. I really do think we have a great shot at 10-2 once again.

Only concern I have is LG. Once Mays gets back that should settle some things. Huepel should be able to scheme around it as well. Defense as a whole should be improved. I really do think we have a great shot at 10-2 once again.
Besides the schedule as I mentioned, I'm also concerned about the what ifs... like with Joe I think he'll be improved regardless but what if he still lacks what Hooker had... remember that crucial fumble again Bama and then he came back out and drove them for a TD? Or what if he gets hurt again?
Mays health scares me so if he's out I think it could really hurt.
What if the secondary still sucks?
What if Kentucky and A&M is vastly improved? What if they fold in the swamp again?
I'm more concerned about the strength of the schedule. I think the games will be a lot closer and I'm worried we won't pull out the W every time.

Besides the schedule as I mentioned, ...
I'm more concerned about the strength of the schedule. I think the games will be a lot closer and I'm worried we won't pull out the W every time.

Is it just me or do we actually have a favorible schedule? We only have 3 preseason top 25 teams on the schedule. 2/3 of them are at home. We played 6 top 25 teams last year NOT counting the bowl game. Obviously Alabama and Georgia are the most likely L's...but one of those is at Home. Doesn't A&M seem to not live up to expectations every year.? And they are at Home and barely in the top 25. We don't play an OOC game with a team as hot as Pitt was last year. South Carolina is at Home. I mean you look at the schedule and I think we should win them all outside of Alabama and Georgia...if you can just split those (and win the rest of the games your favored in)...you are in the playoff.

I know anything can happen, and there always seems to be a heartbreaker every year, but to me the schedule looks pretty good.

Is it just me or do we actually have a favorible schedule? We only have 3 preseason top 25 teams on the schedule. 2/3 of them are at home. We played 6 top 25 teams last year NOT counting the bowl game. Obviously Alabama and Georgia are the most likely L's...but one of those is at Home. Doesn't A&M seem to not live up to expectations every year.? And they are at Home and barely in the top 25. We don't play an OOC game with a team as hot as Pitt was last year. South Carolina is at Home. I mean you look at the schedule and I think we should win them all outside of Alabama and Georgia...if you can just split those (and win the rest of the games your favored in)...you are in the playoff.

I know anything can happen, and there always seems to be a heartbreaker every year, but to me the schedule looks pretty good.

Typically, the media over-ranks, A&M. However, this year they return 88% of their offensive production. And, they return all their starters on the both the offensive and defensive lines.

They had a ton of injuries last year; something like 15 to 20 players out.

VN Store

Back