SEC Coaches talk UT

volsfansince4387

Athlon asked SEC coaches about the other teams in their conference. Here is what they had to say about the Vols.

Original Article

Opposing coaches size up the Volunteers:

“They will be an up-tempo, no-huddle spread offense that will play with a lot of enthusiasm." …

"Their problems certainly weren’t on offense last year. They were on defense. Butch Jones has hired some coaches with some experience in the SEC, like John Jancek and Willie Martinez, who know the league and know the type of player it takes to be successful in this league." …

"They have to replace so many key players on offense. That will take some time." …

"The offensive line was very good. Losing (offensive line coach) Sam Pittman may hurt more than losing any of the players. He is a really good coach." …

"I always respected what Cincinnati did under Jones. They seemed to be a well-coached team." …

"They have won two SEC games in two years. That is bizarre. It just shows you how fiercely competitive the SEC is — for a school with those resources to have only two wins in two years." …

"Butch Jones is a hit ‘em in the face kind of guy who will try to win back the state of Tennessee in recruiting. You sense he has the right energy for the job." …

"I’m not sure Derek Dooley was the right guy for the job. That defense last year was record-setting bad. They had a top-five offense nationally, but the defense was so bad it carried the team down. That offense was as good as any team we played.”

Reactions: 5 people
That seems to be about what I thought they'd say.

And I must admit I LOL'd after seeing what they had to say about Arkansas.

"I’m not sure Derek Dooley was the right guy for the job. That defense last year was record-setting bad. They had a top-five offense nationally, but the defense was so bad it carried the team down. That offense was as good as any team we played.”

If the defense had been any better I hate to think what it would have been like having Dooley another year. When I look at CBJ's post practice videos and compare them to Dooley's the difference is like day and night.

Can't wait to get this season started!

Reactions: 1 person

If the defense had been any better I hate to think what it would have been like having Dooley another year. When I look at CBJ's post practice videos and compare them to Dooley's the difference is like day and night.

Can't wait to get this season started!

If Wilcox stays, we're all singing Dooley's praises.

Reactions: 8 people
It's a shame that the offense was wasted last year. It was scary good.

The sad part is that it wasn't even as good as it could have been. Can you imagine that team with Da'Rick and if Tyler had learned how to read a defense. They had the potential to be the best offense ever at UT.

Reactions: 3 people
The sad part is that it wasn't even as good as it could have been. Can you imagine that team with Da'Rick and if Tyler had learned how to read a defense. They had the potential to be the best offense ever at UT.

Think about how big of a pit in our stomach's we'll get, as Vol fans, to see if CP/Hunter/Bray/Da'Rick tear it up in the NFL.

What could have been.

Think about how big of a pit in our stomach's we'll get, as Vol fans, to see if CP/Hunter/Bray/Da'Rick tear it up in the NFL.

What could have been.

Agreed. Of course, no matter how good they could have been, they would have had to overcome a horrible defense...

"They have won two SEC games in two years. That is bizarre. It just shows you how fiercely competitive the SEC is — for a school with those resources to have only two wins in two years." …

Is that you Coach Franklin? Sounds like something he would say.

So wasn't the right guy for the job but built a top 5 offense??? How does that make sense?? It's pretty obvious why the D was bad. How good the line was shows that with time and stability Dooley could have gotten the D up to where it needed to be.

The O was it's worse enemy last year more than anything. D had its issues, but the had plenty of opportunities to put the game away and didn't. Made the D look way worse than they should have.

People say they want to move on, but keep harping on it.

Posted via VolNation Mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

Maybe the best passing offense, but we still had NO running game!

So wasn't the right guy for the job but built a top 5 offense??? How does that make sense?? It's pretty obvious why the D was bad. How good the line was shows that with time and stability Dooley could have gotten the D up to where it needed to be.

The O was it's worse enemy last year more than anything. D had its issues, but the had plenty of opportunities to put the game away and didn't. Made the D look way worse than they should have.

maybe b/c he was the coach of the whole team and not the OC?

just taking a stab - seriously we need an unlike button on Volnation for posts like this

Reactions: 10 people
That offense rarely scored when it really mattered...lots of fluff is my personal opinion...

Having Rodgers, Patterson, and Hunter all on the same team is just un-real. Not to mention a very solid WR in Z Ro and one of the best TE's in the league last year in Rivera.

I still can't believe we almost had all that on one team. Even without Da'Rick we had one of the best offenses in the nation. Just scary good.

That offense rarely scored when it really mattered...lots of fluff is my personal opinion...

the offense scored enough to win every game last year (with the exception on Bama and Vandy). Its hard to score 50+ points a game week in and week out in the SEC just to have a chance at winning. The defense sucked. Give us any other defense in the SEC lat year (minus Kentucky) and we would have won 9 or more games

Reactions: 5 people

It's time to let your love for Dooley go.

Reactions: 8 people
the offense scored enough to win every game last year (with the exception on Bama and Vandy). Its hard to score 50+ points a game week in and week out in the SEC just to have a chance at winning. The defense sucked. Give us any other defense in the SEC lat year (minus Kentucky) and we would have won 9 or more games

If that was true they would have won (Florida choked/Georgia choked/South Carolina choked and Miss St and Missouri) not saying they sucked but they never scored when the defense was primed and the game was on the line.

Yay!
Look who pulled their head out of Dooley's ass long enough to leave us with another gem!

Reactions: 7 people
If that was true they would have won (Florida choked/Georgia choked/South Carolina choked and Miss St and Missouri) not saying they sucked but they never scored when the defense was primed and the game was on the line.

my point is that the offense scored enough that they should have never been put in those positions. If it wasnt for the offense would could have been 2 and 10 last year

VN Store

Back