SEC Coaches talk UT

but we still had NO running game!

Believe what you like, but the facts don't support this position.

Averaged 160 yards per game in a pass happy offense with 413 rushing plays vs 477 passing plays on the season. Throw out the lost yardage from QB sacks and they averaged over 5 yards per carry. How many times were you yelling at the TV for them to run the ball before the next pass? Neal was either leading the SEC or 2nd in yards gained by a running back prior to his injury.

While that's not be the best running offense in history it is absolutely a running game.

Reactions: 1 person
My only opinion on DD is that the team quit on him and that should NEVER happen with a person that KNOWS how to coach. He was truly clueless.

The last quote has to be from Spurrier....thoughts on who said what?

EDIT: This one --> "I’m not sure Derek Dooley was the right guy for the job. That defense last year was record-setting bad. They had a top-five offense nationally, but the defense was so bad it carried the team down. That offense was as good as any team we played.”

Based on how we played against each opponent, my guess would be that it's Richt. I can't see that being Spurrier since I'm sure the beat down they got from Florida was more impressive in his eyes.

I smell Saban on #1, Franklin on #3, Miles with 6, and Muschamp #2.

Pretty spot on IMO. Dooley wasnt the problem last year. Him and Chaney built a great offense in their 3 years together. Wilcox leaving was problem A, and Sunseri replacing him was problems B,C, and D.

Dooley wasnt the problem? Wilcox left to escape Dooley and the sinking ship of a program he created. 4 SEC wins, 3 consecutive losing seasons for like the first time ever, the worst defense in school history, a team mistake-riddled team that absolutely quit on him vs Vandy, 4 wins last year with him on the sideline .... I could go on..... Dooley was definitely the problem.

SO...if we had CBJ and this coaching staff LAST yr, would we have won 8-9 games?? Would have been nice...im excited to see what the next few years hold..I know we will take lumps in our first yr but after the kinks get fixed and the right pieces are in place, in time this team will be SCARY good!!! :)

Ok, a few points to make on this one.

1. We didn't run the ball a lot last year because our Offense was designed to throw. We had a skilled QB, great receiving, and a good Offensive Coordinator.

2. We tried to run a Defense that we had no right running in the first place. We didn't have the talent in the right spots to run a damn 3-4 Defense and Dooley should have known that from the beginning. You don't run an Offense or Defense when you don't have the people to run it. It would be like running a power running team with 175 pound fullbacks and running backs. It doesn't work.

3. Dooley should have never been hired to begin with. Its one thing to hire a Coordinator who has a long track record of being very good at his job, its quite another to hire someone who has a losing record as a coach. Hamilton hired him because he thought that he would be like his father, Vince, who was the best coach Georgia ever had. He should have learned from Alabama when they hired Don Shula's son. Just because they have a last name of a legendary coach doesn't mean they have a quarter of their father's abilities or charisma as a leader of people.

4. Sunseri did have a good track record going into his job. There was no reason to think that he couldn't make it work here, except for the fact that we really didn't have the talent to run a 3-4. To run that D you have to have Outside Linebackers who can cover or pass rush, depending on the situation. The same for the Middle Linebackers. The problem was we didn't have the Linebackers to run this D, and yet Dooley hired him anyway knowing that he didn't have the depth or the talent at LB to run it. He was hoping that Sunseri could work a miracle and instead it turned into a ticking time bomb and cost him his job.

I will not mention Dooley or Sunseri anymore after this. I appreciate that they tried but they weren't the men for the job. I do wish them luck in their future endeavors and that they learn from the mistakes they made here.

Now, can we all just forget about the past and focus on what is in front of us. We have a team full of young men who are wearing our colors and appear to be damned proud of it. Let us gather together as a fanbase and get behind them.

Go Big Orange!

SO...if we had CBJ and this coaching staff LAST yr, would we have won 8-9 games?? Would have been nice...im excited to see what the next few years hold..I know we will take lumps in our first yr but after the kinks get fixed and the right pieces are in place, in time this team will be SCARY good!!! :)

We woulda been 10-2 with CBJ and staff last year. If only we had got rid of Fooley after the UK debacle in 2011...

VN Store

Back