SEC Office should move to Charlotte

Atlanta or Nashville makes sense. You could argue both are bias though (Atlanta to Georgia and Nashville to Tennessee. No Vanderbilt doesn't count lol).

Culturally, Nashville would be pretty neutral as there are a lot of Alabama, Kentucky, and Auburn fans here, not just Tennessee. There is a Vandy following as well.
Again though… What’s the point?

agree, but what I really want is a very thorough investigation into the horrific officiating this year. Yes I think it was awful in our games, but every game I watched it was bad. Admittingly I watch games different than most fans, as I officiated for many many years. This year is the worse I've seen.

Just a few geography facts. I'm not a proponent of some of this, but it might be thought-provoking:

1. The center of mass of the 16-team SEC is somewhere in northern Mississippi (before Texas and Oklahoma, it was still in northern Mississippi, but closer to the Alabama border).

2. The closest city (real city, not big town) to that center of mass is Memphis. If you want the conference HQ centered better, put it in Memphis. If you want the championship game centered better, put it in the Liberty Bowl.

3. The first of those would be great for Tennessee. Having the conference HQ in our state is a mildly good deal. Closer to Ole Miss than to us, but much better than it being in Alabama.

4. The second of those would not be good for us. Memphis is a ~7 hour drive for Knoxville fans. It's 3 1/2 hours for Nashville fans. Atlanta is closer for most of us.

5. If you want an out-of-conference city to put either HQ or CG in, Charlotte is a pretty good choice. But really far from the newer members of the club (A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, Mizzou, and Arkansas). St Louis, Indianapolis, and Cincinnati might be better choices.

I personally like the SEC CG in Atlanta. Then again, I also like the idea of it rotating. Anyway, that doesn't matter, given what Deerpark has told us. So Atlanta it is.

But moving the HQ, whether to our center of mass or to a city just outside the footprint, would be a huge improvement. Maybe one day.

Go Vols!

1701710505540.png

Reactions: AllVols
Just a few geography facts. I'm not a proponent of some of this, but it might be thought-provoking:

1. The center of mass of the 16-team SEC is somewhere in northern Mississippi (before Texas and Oklahoma, it was still in northern Mississippi, but closer to the Alabama border).

2. The closest city (real city, not big town) to that center of mass is Memphis. If you want the conference HQ centered better, put it in Memphis. If you want the championship game centered better, put it in the Liberty Bowl.

3. The first of those would be great for Tennessee. Having the conference HQ in our state is a mildly good deal. Closer to Ole Miss than to us, but much better than it being in Alabama.

4. The second of those would not be good for us. Memphis is a ~7 hour drive for Knoxville fans. It's 3 1/2 hours for Nashville fans. Atlanta is closer for most of us.

5. If you want an out-of-conference city to put either HQ or CG in, Charlotte is a pretty good choice. But really far from the newer members of the club (A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, Mizzou, and Arkansas). St Louis, Indianapolis, and Cincinnati might be better choices.

I personally like the SEC CG in Atlanta. Then again, I also like the idea of it rotating. Anyway, that doesn't matter, given what Deerpark has told us. So Atlanta it is.

But moving the HQ, whether to our center of mass or to a city just outside the footprint, would be a huge improvement. Maybe one day.

Go Vols!

View attachment 599869

Good post but the location of Auburn seems off, they should be a lot further South.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Just have Sankey and his cronies do zoom meetings from home and save money on office space so they can earmark that for training for the refs.

To be fair, I think he is more SEC bias than Alabama bias. He caters to Alabama fans since he lived in that area but I don't see a slant towards Alabama. He was very hard on them last year and this year.

Guy is a big-time SEC homer though.
He's about as exciting as a piece of moldy bread though.

Reactions: volbound1700

Go Vols!

View attachment 599869
I don't think having the SEC HQ geographically centered matters much. The ADs and admins could care less where they fly in and few are probably driving to Bham now. Fat cats are going to fat cat.

I think Nashville makes sense for the SEC CG after they're done fleecing the taxpayers.... uh, I mean, building the new stadium there.

Good post but the location of Auburn seems off, they should be a lot further South.
Yeah, I just put the dots down in a rush from memory, heh. I knew Auburn was at the Georgia border on one of those highways, I just picked the wrong one. :)

Probably got Ole Miss and Miss State pretty far off, too.

I don't think having the SEC HQ geographically centered matters much. The ADs and admins could care less where they fly in and few are probably driving to Bham now. Fat cats are going to fat cat.

I think Nashville makes sense for the SEC CG after they're done fleecing the taxpayers.... uh, I mean, building the new stadium there.

I doubt many of us care whether the HQ is convenient for the ADs and admins. It is more a matter of having a building full of hundreds of employees, high and low, who are managing the conference's business, who are each loyal to some team when they're off duty, and that's more likely to be the local or in-state team. Given that, it would be better if they're not all living 45 minutes down the road from our arch-nemesis.

And once we agree that we want to move the HQ out of Alabama, the best argument for moving it is probably to make it more centrally located.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
I doubt many of us care whether the HQ is convenient for the ADs and admins. It is more a matter of having a building full of hundreds of employees, high and low, who are managing the conference's business, who are each loyal to some team when they're off duty, and that's more likely to be the local or in-state team. Given that, it would be better if they're not mostly all loyal to our nemesis.

And once we agree that we want to move the HQ out of Alabama, the best argument for moving it is probably to make it more centrally located.

Go Vols!
Meh. Like most businesses, what most of the employees like or want doesn't matter.

The power at the SEC won't shift with the location and if there's a "bat phone" from Tuscaloosa that rings on Commissioner Sankey's desk, it will still ring in Memphis or Charlotte.

I'm not really worried if the secretary to the vice president of community relations for the SEC is a Dawg fan.

Meh. Like most businesses, what most of the employees like or want doesn't matter.

The power at the SEC won't shift with the location and if there's a "bat phone" from Tuscaloosa that rings on Commissioner Sankey's desk, it will still ring in Memphis or Charlotte.

I'm not really worried if the secretary to the vice president of community relations for the SEC is a Dawg fan.
Have you not worked in a large organization?

If you had, you would know that a lot of the real power, the day-to-day power, is wielded by the secretaries and staff minions who make up the bulk of the organization.

Sure, Sankey and his key subordinates, the deputy commissioner and all the associate commissioners, they're going to be hired from anywhere in the nation, and may not have lifetime loyalty to ANY of the SEC schools. But that's only like 10% of the organization. The other 90%, the secretaries and staff minions and assistants and record keepers and book keepers and statisticians and coordinators and schedule keepers, and on and on, they're mostly NOT hired from a national pool of talent.

Those lower and mid-grade positions are mostly filled by local folks looking for a job. They grew up mostly nearby, and they went to school mostly nearby, and they probably went to college or university mostly nearby, and...well, they have loyalties, too.

And they're the ones putting together the schedules and briefing books, and proposed rule changes and all those other things that eventually get to one of the top leaders for a decision.

Here's where the power comes from: If I'm the staff nug, and you're the boss, and you tell me to put together some options for ___x___, well, that gives me power. The power to decide what options you look at. What you choose from.

So a ludicrous example, you tell me to put together a list of halloween candies we'll be handing out next October, and I hate peanuts, I'm going to give you a list that include Twizzlers and Milky Way and Skittles, but you're not gonna see any Payday or Snickers bars as options. You get to "decide," but I'm the one providing the options from which you do.

That's power in the hands of a bunch of local Bama fans.

The location of the HQ makes a significant difference, even if it is subtle and near-impossible to prove.

Let's get it out of Alabama.

Go Vols!

Have you not worked in a large organization?

If you had, you would know that a lot of the real power, the day-to-day power, is wielded by the secretaries and staff minions who make up the bulk of the organization.

Sure, Sankey and his key subordinates, the deputy commissioner and all the associate commissioners, they're going to be hired from anywhere in the nation, and may not have lifetime loyalty to ANY of the SEC schools. But that's only like 10% of the organization. The other 90%, the secretaries and staff minions and assistants and record keepers and book keepers and statisticians and coordinators and schedule keepers, and on and on, they're mostly NOT hired from a national pool of talent.

Those lower and mid-grade positions are mostly filled by local folks looking for a job. They grew up mostly nearby, and they went to school mostly nearby, and they probably went to college or university mostly nearby, and...well, they have loyalties, too.

And they're the ones putting together the schedules and briefing books, and proposed rule changes and all those other things that eventually get to one of the top leaders for a decision.

Here's where the power comes from: If I'm the staff nug, and you're the boss, and you tell me to put together some options for ___x___, well, that gives me power. The power to decide what options you look at. What you choose from.

So a ludicrous example, you tell me to put together a list of halloween candies we'll be handing out next October, and I hate peanuts, I'm going to give you a list that include Twizzlers and Milky Way and Skittles, but you're not gonna see any Payday or Snickers bars as options. You get to "decide," but I'm the one providing the options from which you do.

That's power in the hands of a bunch of local Bama fans.

The location of the HQ makes a significant difference, even if it is subtle and near-impossible to prove.

Let's get it out of Alabama.

Go Vols!
Meh. I'm not buying that it's all "Bama fans" making the decisions that really matter.

People are talking about "The SEC tells the refs to favor Bama" and secretaries aren't making that call nor is there an order from some VP to "put together some ways we can skew things how we want....."

Most of what happens in the SEC office is BS NCAA crap and conference BS paperwork related to how much money they're getting.

The idea that people are somehow being told to "show me some options" that change ballgames is pure BS UNLESS you subscribe to the "SEC referees are taking orders to fix the games from Sankey and Co" theory.

That's an ENORMOUS conspiracy with lots of people involved and pretty unlikely to stay a secret for very long. If I were a secretary or middle level manager and had proof of that, I'm writing that best seller because I'm getting richer than I ever could just being a Bama fan.

Meh. I'm not buying that it's all "Bama fans" making the decisions that really matter.

People are talking about "The SEC tells the refs to favor Bama" and secretaries aren't making that call nor is there an order from some VP to "put together some ways we can skew things how we want....."

Most of what happens in the SEC office is BS NCAA crap and conference BS paperwork related to how much money they're getting.

The idea that people are somehow being told to "show me some options" that change ballgames is pure BS UNLESS you subscribe to the "SEC referees are taking orders to fix the games from Sankey and Co" theory.

That's an ENORMOUS conspiracy with lots of people involved and pretty unlikely to stay a secret for very long. If I were a secretary or middle level manager and had proof of that, I'm writing that best seller because I'm getting richer than I ever could just being a Bama fan.
Yeah, you just proved: you've never worked in a large organization. You just don't have a feel for what I'm talking about.

It's okay, drive on brother.

Go Vols!

Yeah, you just proved: you've never worked in a large organization. You just don't have a feel for what I'm talking about.

It's okay, drive on brother.

Go Vols!
Hehehehehe. You'd be surprised.

You can't answer WHAT all those Bama fans are somehow ACTUALLY DOING to make the SEC pro-Bama though can you?

Just one thing that can actually cause Bama to win. You think they've killed Bama investigations? You think they killed the things Fulmer gave them on Bama?

Tell me what you think they've been able to do at low levels to skew things. Actually what do you think they're able to skew in Bham that changes the playing field?

To be honest, Charlotte is pretty good about not caring about football . The Panthers play there and the ACC HQ is moving there or has moved there. Neither one of those play championship football.
Which outside of Baltimore can be said of every other NFL city in the southeast.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14

VN Store

Back