SEC replacement team

IF an SEC school left, who would yall like to see most to replace them?

• Total voters
Originally posted by crazyguy@Aug 5, 2005 11:00 PM
Bring on Notre Dame...I'd love to have a traditional power as a whipping post :)
[snapback]122272[/snapback]​

Uh, I seem to remember a different outcome last year. What is the series record - 4-3-1 in favor of UT? Hardly dominance...

Originally posted by WP99ND06@Aug 6, 2005 10:18 AM
Uh, I seem to remember a different outcome last year. What is the series record - 4-3-1 in favor of UT? Hardly dominance...
[snapback]122586[/snapback]​

We'd be hospitable, but we wouldn't let you play our thirs string QB every time either.

West Virginia:

A. Still in the Southeast
B. The only school left that would bring in more TV revenue
C. Rabid fans would also add to coffers
D. Would actually be a mid-level SEC team

Vandy for West Virginia can we swap now

Hey why not UTC there a junior varisty team but arent that good its like the same as UAB playing Alambama but what do i know it was just a thought

Vanderbilt is also the saving grace for SEC academics.

I don't know that that is as true as you may think. Vandy is a great school that definitely helps the SEC's academic standing, but some people have this notion that the SEC is 11 Junior Colleges and Vanderbilt. That's just not true.

Originally posted by milohimself@Aug 6, 2005 11:16 PM
Vanderbilt is also the saving grace for SEC academics.
[snapback]122902[/snapback]​

Vandy also only contributes a hand out for cash

Originally posted by GAVol@Aug 6, 2005 8:18 PM
I don't know that that is as true as you may think.  Vandy is a great school that definitely helps the SEC's academic standing, but some people have this notion that the SEC is 11 Junior Colleges and Vanderbilt.  That's just not true.
[snapback]122904[/snapback]​

I know, the SEC has solid schools. But I mean Vanderbilt is the only really good school academics-wise.

Originally posted by thebradmanvolfan@Aug 6, 2005 8:16 PM
Hey why not UTC    there a junior varisty team  but arent that good  its like the same as UAB playing Alambama    but what do i know  it was just a thought
[snapback]122903[/snapback]​

Chattanooga vs. UAB... :eek:lol: You can't be serious.

Originally posted by milohimself@Aug 5, 2005 9:32 PM
Between all those teams...

Southern Miss. I mean, they're C-USA but they're the best team in the state of Mississppi.
[snapback]122255[/snapback]​

Yeah, I agree. The only objection to having Southern Miss in the SEC that I'd have would be that we already have two Mississippi teams in the SEC.

Personally, (I'll get shot for saying this) I'd like to see Tulane overhaul its athletic program and get back in the SEC. Just to give us Tigers a real football rival again. Of course, it'll never happen. But here's dreaming.

Tulane has a long way to go to make it to the top. As for a replacement team, I think Southern Miss could replace Mississippi State. I mean, MSU's academics aren't that great and IMO their program is barely better than Vandy and Kentucky. Southern Miss's academics aren't that much better but their program is.

Originally posted by milohimself@Aug 6, 2005 10:23 PM
Chattanooga vs. UAB... :eek:lol: You can't be serious.
[snapback]122912[/snapback]​

Hey i know chattanoga would get there butts handed to them but you know it was just a thought

Well... There are a number mid-major teams out there that are probably better than MSU, Vandy or Kentucky if you'd want to replace them. But taking any D-IAA team and putting them in the SEC like that is crazy. I can't think of any conference besides the Sun Belt in which even the best of D-IAA teams would do well.

I'm a Memphis fan, but we will never get an SEC invite, mostly because of recruiting reasons.
I could argue our case though. Southern Miss is always decent in football, but their attendance isn't great and their basketball program is weak. Memphis leads CUSA in attendance and would easily average upper 50ks for football. Our urban environment and large alumni population in the area would also provide a huge fan base
The basketball program is consistently strong, we used to be at the top of the country in attendance, and we play in some pretty plush facilities. ESPN loves to air our games too because the Forum is top-of-the-line as far as lighting and technology goes.
Right now our biggest asset is basketball. Football is doing very well and our fan base has grown exponentially in the past two years, and if we continue to raise attendance and go to bowl games we will be in good shape. If, by chance, we win a basketball championship, we will get some looks from BCS conferences, but the SEC will probably not be one of them.

You guys have to remember that theres more to who goes to a conf. than football. All the other sports, money, academics...etc. Each school contributes something IMO. Vandy-academics, MSU-Bball, UK-bball....I dont know enough about a UAB or SMU, but I cant see a reason as to why one of the twelve would leave.

Originally posted by GatorVille@Aug 7, 2005 7:25 PM
You guys have to remember that theres more to who goes to a conf. than football.  All the other sports, money, academics...etc.  Each school contributes something IMO.  Vandy-academics, MSU-Bball, UK-bball....I dont know enough about a UAB or SMU, but I cant see a reason as to why one of the twelve would leave.
[snapback]123442[/snapback]​

I can understand why you dont know anything about UAB football, but you know nothing about UAB's basketball team? SMU has some history, but it's been a while... quite a while. :laugh1:

The UAB basketball team is solid too. But, there are more than two sports in the NCAA. I also dont knwo about their academics and funding. They would be a solid addition to the SEC Football. But, theres more then just football.

SEC seems to be good in football and women's basketball. Men's basketball is good, but not the greatest... Then again, every other conference out there looks small fires compared to the ACC.

Originally posted by GatorVille@Aug 7, 2005 7:30 PM
The UAB basketball team is solid too.  But, there are more than two sports in the NCAA.  I also dont knwo about their academics and funding.  They would be a solid addition to the SEC Football. But, theres more then just football.
[snapback]123450[/snapback]​

UAB last year had both the women and men's soccer teams in the Top 25. Our synchronized swimming team (as lame as that may sound) is about 4th in the nation. Our baseball team is pretty successful and has beat Bama, LSU, and other traditionally strong baseball programs last year. Football is much improved including a bowl game last year and the school's first-ever Top 25 rankings. Basketball, of course, is the staple at UAB and our most recognized sport. UAB is quite good in a number of sports... they just happen not to be the big revenue-generating sports. Hopefully things will change though with the success of our football team.

I would love FSU to be in the sec cuz im so tired of their cupcake schedule and high rankings.i say if they were in the sec they would only win 7 games this season! gah if we dont make the rose bowl then i hope we play the criminoles in another bowl. i cant stand blobby bow-down!

If you havent noticed, Fl state plays in the toughest confrence in college football. How is there schedule cupcake?

Yeah . . . . there's a lot of things to criticize FSU about, but schedule isn't one of them. They open with Miami and end with Florida.

Originally posted by vols2345@Aug 7, 2005 9:30 PM
If you havent noticed,  Fl state plays in the toughest confrence in college football.  How is there schedule cupcake?
[snapback]123499[/snapback]​

dude whatever! sec is the toughest by far! the only tough games fsu have this yr are florida and miami...

VN Store

Back