Sec Title Scenarios

IF we lose to SC that means we are 0-2 against them and if they beat both teams go on to win their final game USC wins

If our one loss is to USCe that not true they would have a 2-0 record against us. Basically we have to beat South Carolina to avoid a mess of the hottest variety. If we do beat them and lose to Kentucky then we end up tied with Bama who we have a 2-0 record against. Everyone else would still be one game behind. These last 2 games are rough matchups.. we have USC at their place and luckily have Kentucky at home but they are probably our worst matchup with Ivisic starting to get in his stride. They have 3 seven seven-footers and Trey Mitchell meaning even if Awaka and Aidoo are not in foul trouble we could have some issues they are a team that can go really big or small at the drop of a hat. So, us beating USCe is basically for all the marbles.
We only have to win 1 more game and it doesn't matter if the loss is to SC. H2H record doesn't factor. Any teams tied at the top are co-champions.

I don't see playing in the SEC tourney does the team any favors. Nothing to gain here. I would propose the top 2 seeds can sit it out and just rest and recover for the real tourney.
Great opportunity to play the bench guys. A lot! Id sit the starters and give the backups a great game experience.

Reactions: OrangeBeachVol
Win this next game. I think we will if the players are ready to play. Have just had two big games but there can't be any competitive
or motivational letup against a good SC team playing at home. We'll need another strong game--and probably need Mashack on that sturdy
guard for SC who's a good player (forget his name). SC plays a different, slower tempo, and let's hope we're ready for it, having played
them once already.
Can't let SCjr rob us of another special season albeit in a different sport. Fate can't be that cruel to us can she? Yeah, I know. Rhetorical.

Reactions: walkenvol
We only have to win 1 more game and it doesn't matter if the loss is to SC. H2H record doesn't factor. Any teams tied at the top are co-champions.
Yeah, but that coveted #1 seed hangs on the SCjr game. I'd like to think any combination that gets us to 3-1 seals it, but if we crack that door for the committee to shaft is, they'll certainly do it. Not saying 4-0 would clinch it, but it would make it really, really hard for them to not give us the nod. Still wonder if being the top 2 seed might not be an advantage if it means playing closer to home for the fans. Guess I'm kinda preparing for the worst.

The rules seem fto agree on that the tiebreakers only exist for tourney seeding?
Tie Breakers
1.Two-Team Tie. The following procedure will be used in the following order until the tie is broken:
A. Won-lost results of head-to-head competition between the two teams.
B. Best winning percentage of the two teams versus the highest seeded common opponent (and proceeding through the No. 14 seed, if necessary).
C. Coin flip by the Commissioner.

2.Three-Team Tie (or more). When three or more teams are tied, the following procedure will be used in the following order until the tie is broken. If two teams remain tied after a tiebreaker provision, the two-team tiebreaker formula will be used. 2
A. Best winning percentage of games played among the tied teams (Example: Team A is 3-1, Team B is 2- 2 and Team C is 1-3 – Team A would be seeded highest, Team B second-highest and Team C lowest of the three).
B. Best winning percentage of the tied teams versus the highest seeded common opponent (and proceeding through the No. 14 seed, if necessary).
C. If two teams remain, coin flip by the Commissioner.
D. If three or more teams remain, draw by the Commissioner.

There’s only one banner I’m interested in hanging, and it’s not a conference one.

Well probably the rest of us think an outright conference championship is pretty special since I've only seen 1 in my life.

Also postseason success is a crapshoot even when you're good, with matchups, regions, etc. I would rather not have another 2019 situation where it was one of the best UT teams ever yet we lost the SEC Title in the final 2 weeks of the season, lost in the SECT Final, and got bumped from the NCAAT in the S16. So for as great as that team was, we ended up with little to show for it. So cherish a banner.

Well probably the rest of us think an outright conference championship is pretty special since I've only seen 1 in my life.

Also postseason success is a crapshoot even when you're good, with matchups, regions, etc. I would rather not have another 2019 situation where it was one of the best UT teams ever yet we lost the SEC Title in the final 2 weeks of the season, lost in the SECT Final, and got bumped from the NCAAT in the S16. So for as great as that team was, we ended up with little to show for it. So cherish a banner.
I never said it wasn’t a good thing. My sights are simply set higher than winning the conference, so I won’t lose sleep if we don’t.

IF we lose to SC that means we are 0-2 against them and if they beat both teams go on to win their final game USC wins

If our one loss is to USCe that not true they would have a 2-0 record against us. Basically we have to beat South Carolina to avoid a mess of the hottest variety. If we do beat them and lose to Kentucky then we end up tied with Bama who we have a 2-0 record against. Everyone else would still be one game behind. These last 2 games are rough matchups.. we have USC at their place and luckily have Kentucky at home but they are probably our worst matchup with Ivisic starting to get in his stride. They have 3 seven seven-footers and Trey Mitchell meaning even if Awaka and Aidoo are not in foul trouble we could have some issues they are a team that can go really big or small at the drop of a hat. So, us beating USCe is basically for all the marbles.
Our SEC loses have been against teams that play at a slower pace and play physical tough defense. We beat the pants off the kitties at their place. They play most similar to bama who we’ve swept. It’s a conference game and there are no guarantees, but SC it a tougher match up than the kitties.

It would because South Carolina would have the same record and therefore would be #1 due to head to head. They are only 1 game behind.

There’s only one banner I’m interested in hanging, and it’s not a conference one.
We've only won the regular season conference title 7 times in 80 years.

Less than once a decade, on average.

We are arguably the best team in the best conference in basketball now.

I get what you're saying (I want a F4 before I kick the bucket, too), but you should learn to appreciate an SEC championship.

TN 13-3
Bama 12-4
USCjr 12-4
KY 11-5
Barn 11-5
FL 10-6

TN: at USCjr, v KY
Bama: at FL, v Ark
USCjr: v TN, at MSU
KY: v Vandy, at TN
FL: v Bama, at Vandy
Barn: at Mizz, v GA
Just looking at that schedule, I think Tennessee needs to win at S.C. I don't have much faith that we will get any help from Florida or Vandy against Bama, nor Vandy against Kentucky. Just take care of business Wednesday night and settle the issue.

Just looking at that schedule, I think Tennessee needs to win at S.C. I don't have much faith that we will get any help from Florida or Vandy against Bama, nor Vandy against Kentucky. Just take care of business Wednesday night and settle the issue.

Alabama at Florida I think has a good shot. UF already played them to OT at their place and Florida needs a W.

We've only won the regular season conference title 7 times in 80 years.

Less than once a decade, on average.

We are arguably the best team in the best conference in basketball now.

I get what you're saying (I want a F4 before I kick the bucket, too), but you should learn to appreciate an SEC championship.
“Learn to appreciate.” 😂😂

Our SEC loses have been against teams that play at a slower pace and play physical tough defense. We beat the pants off the kitties at their place. They play most similar to bama who we’ve swept. It’s a conference game and there are no guarantees, but SC it a tougher match up than the kitties.

I expect SCjr to come in over-confident Wed based on this and their earlier win. That is what A&M did too when they came to Knoxville. How'd that work out for them?

I don't know that the guys can make SCjr look as bad as the metrics say they are, but I think they will bring them back down to earth and demoralize them enough that they close with a loss at State as well.

More worried about the raw talent UK puts on the court so let's go into that one with the 1 seed locked up.

there is one big difference in the last time we played UK.. Zvonmir Ivsic. He was just starting to get PT when we played them and didn't play against us due to injury iirc. He's a Croatian unicorn-lite type player. His availability along with their other 2 7 footers. They have 3 7 footers and neither leads the team in rebounds that's 6'9 Tre Mitchell. If they can get our guys in foul trouble it could get ugly fast. Hence, a bad matchup. USCe is not the best matchup in the world, especially being on the road but, they beat us in a close game because we shot 5/21 from 3 and 12/21 from the charity stripe. 1 or two threes and a slightly below-average performance from free throw line and we win that game easily. They have Josh Gray but he plays less than 10 mins a game and their starters in the frontcourt aren't that scary. USCe is more important but a more winnable game

UK is going to be a good barometer of how we can deal with long teams in the dance at this point in the season. At this point, we pretty much know Philips and Estrella arent ready yet. JJJ can stand in in a pinch but he is at his best as a 'clean-up guy' playing the 4 and giving help. Aidoo and Awaka have become better at not getting in foul trouble but its still a big deal. all of their best games are ones where they ended the game with 3 or less fouls. We have won 1 game where AIdoo had 4 or more fouls and lost the other 4. Awaka fouled out twice we lost both. Kansas is the only game we lost where one or both of them were not in serious foul trouble. The other 5 was them getting in early foul trouble or fouling out.

Seems crazy that we are now playing another SEC title game Wed. against lowly Carolina, but they find a way to win close games.
They AIN'T lowly. Good team wins many close games. Only real bad game was blowout loss to Bruce & Co. Btw they beat us already. So stop underestimating the opposition. Jeepers Wally

Reactions: On In Two
They AIN'T lowly. Good team wins many close games. Only real bad game was blowout loss to Bruce & Co. Btw they beat us already. So stop underestimating the opposition. Jeepers Wally

They’re a lowly SEC athletic program that is having an unexpected great year in basketball. But as an athletic program, they’ve been a perennial SEC bottom feeder.

Reactions: Volfan1000
We go 2-0 next week and win the regular season title while a 1-1 record gives us a share of the regular season crown per today's Sports Source episode.

They’re a lowly SEC athletic program that is having an unexpected great year in basketball. But as an athletic program, they’ve been a perennial SEC bottom feeder.

South Carolina can hang their hats on having an excellent women's basketball program and an excellent baseball program.

Reactions: On In Two

VN Store

Back