SECN coverage disappoints

Hacksaw

BELIEVE THE HEUP!
As much as I dreaded seeing coverage of our losses during the dark times, one of the great things about our current success is the anticipation of watching the highlight shows, particularly after a BIG win.

I don't know if anyone else noticed SECN's postgame and Sunday morning shows. We went to a neutral site and energetically disassembled a ranked non-conference opponent in every aspect of the game. So I was surprised to see Nico's 2nd quarter interception lead-off the "highlights" and get a fair amount of the limited time spent discussing the game. They also casually mentioned that Nico threw a second INT later in the game, without the context of it being a tipped ball at the LOS.

But why bother focusing on any of that in a game where we won by 40+ points?! If this were the ACC Network, it would be more understandable. It just really makes me wonder who is making the decisions when it comes to these things.

They definitely had some nice things to say, too, so maybe I'm just being overly-sensitive?

I watched. Coverage didn’t bother me. Texas is the big story from yesterday - rightly so. And they focused on Nico’s interceptions to then talk about the way he handled them. There was also lots of love for the defense. Very complimentary coverage all in all.

I watched. Coverage didn’t bother me. Texas is the big story from yesterday - rightly so. And they focused on Nico’s interceptions to then talk about the way he handled them. There was also lots of love for the defense. Very complimentary coverage all in all.
Michigan was overrated. They'll lose 2 or three more.

Michigan was overrated. They'll lose 2 or three more.
Undoubtedly. But that doesn’t take away from the fact they were the defending national champion playing in one of college football’s best environments - and fake UT manhandled them. I think the score is the result of how bad Michigan is more than how good Texas is, but it was still a newsworthy outcome.

I understand that they were trying to tell the story of the INTs and how he overcame them. It sounds like a really interesting way to tell the story of the game. Again, it was disappointing to me that they led with that and I just think it was a poor editorial choice. We had already put a TD on the board before that happened, but there was no mention or highlights of that score. And just offhandedly commenting about the second INT without context was misleading, IMO. If the game had been closer, Nico's rebound from the INTs might have made more sense as a narrative. To me the story of this game had nothing to do with Nico's INTs.

Reactions: SAPPER 5
They are never going to script that show to meet the expectations of every team's respective homers. It's a highlight show, and with 16 teams in the conference, there is alot to get through in an hour, especially with most teams being in non-conference play. They had our game up 2nd in the pecking order (behind TX-UM which was a Top 10 matchup). I thought that was appropriate placement. They also said some nice things, Ben Watson in particular made the astute point (often lost on the casual fan) that it is really our running game that is the engine that drives the train on offense. Nico didn't have a Heisman line yesterday so I thought their coverage of him and us overall was basically fair. I am very glad we have him though, I doubt we would trade first year starters with anybody.

They are never going to script that show to meet the expectations of every team's respective homers. It's a highlight show, and with 16 teams in the conference, there is alot to get through in an hour, especially with most teams being in non-conference play. They had our game up 2nd in the pecking order (behind TX-UM which was a Top 10 matchup). I thought that was appropriate placement. They also said some nice things, Ben Watson in particular made the astute point (often lost on the casual fan) that it is really our running game that is the engine that drives the train on offense. Nico didn't have a Heisman line yesterday so I thought their coverage of him and us overall was basically fair. I am very glad we have him though, I doubt we would trade first year starters with anybody.
As per being a homer, I stand guilty before you.

I have no expectation of them scripting the show for me (or any other fan). To me (and I think anyone else who watched -- Vol fan, or not), the story of this game was the complete domination of a ranked ACC opponent by a ranked SEC team. That's what I was expecting to see when I tuned in to the SEC Network's coverage. They did get around to that, as I alluded to in my OP. It's just that if you ask people who saw the game to summarize what happened, I don't think anyone would start off talking about Nico's interceptions. And I doubt that many would bring it up at all.

Reactions: wrangler
As per being a homer, I stand guilty before you.

I have no expectation of them scripting the show for me (or any other fan). To me (and I think anyone else who watched -- Vol fan, or not), the story of this game was the complete domination of a ranked ACC opponent by a ranked SEC team. That's what I was expecting to see when I tuned in to the SEC Network's coverage. They did get around to that, as I alluded to in my OP. It's just that if you ask people who saw the game to summarize what happened, I don't think anyone would start off talking about Nico's interceptions. And I doubt that many would bring it up at all.
From the average, non-aligned fans point of view though, how Nico did is a main point of interest (probably THE main point of interest with Tennessee this year) and they discussed the good and the bad there. Certainly, as Tennessee fans we would prefer endless media fellatio but that's not the format of the show. There are several YouTube channels we can tune into this morning to get our Vol rocks off.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Doesn’t he keep picking the VOLS opponents?
Yep, he picked the Vols as the only team not to cover the spread. He said he believed they'd pull it out but under 8 points. He's been watching a lot of politicians flip flop and working it into his gig.

Undoubtedly. But that doesn’t take away from the fact they were the defending national champion playing in one of college football’s best environments - and fake UT manhandled them. I think the score is the result of how bad Michigan is more than how good Texas is, but it was still a newsworthy outcome.
Anyone who wasn’t expecting Texas to dismantle Michigan doesn’t really know much about football or doesn’t follow college football. This was a big winner for me on my gaming site.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
I think youre being too hard on them. They also showed the wide open td to kitselman, praised the defense for their effort, and then spent a few seconds talking about how they’re possibly a playoff team and right behind UTjr in the conference pecking order. That’s high praise especially from the Gaturd homer Chris Dopering who openly hates all things orange.

Reactions: crazyguy
From the average, non-aligned fans point of view though, how Nico did is a main point of interest (probably THE main point of interest with Tennessee this year) and they discussed the good and the bad there. Certainly, as Tennessee fans we would prefer endless media fellatio but that's not the format of the show. There are several YouTube channels we can tune into this morning to get our Vol rocks off.
For the record, I asked for neither scripting, nor fellatio. Hell, I didn't even realize those were options.

I haven't seen any issues in the coverage. Michigan vs. Texas is just a bigger story and the Notre Dame upset has gotten a lot of attention.

Still a long season so I don't really care where we are ranked right now.

I think youre being too hard on them. They also showed the wide open td to kitselman, praised the defense for their effort, and then spent a few seconds talking about how they’re possibly a playoff team and right behind UTjr in the conference pecking order. That’s high praise especially from the Gaturd homer Chris Dopering who openly hates all things orange.
I get that. I acknowledged it. My only problem was the choice to open the highlight with the only negative thing to happen to us -- something that turned out to be completely irrelevant to the outcome of the game. It just seemed like an odd choice to me. Again, if it had been the ACC Network's coverage, then it would have made sense.

I get that. I acknowledged it. My only problem was the choice to open the highlight with the only negative thing to happen to us -- something that turned out to be completely irrelevant to the outcome of the game. It just seemed like an odd choice to me. Again, if it had been the ACC Network's coverage, then it would have made sense.
They still spent more time talking about the good than bad. Sorry man, just think you’re focused on one little detail and not the entire segment.

They still spent more time talking about the good than bad. Sorry man, just think you’re focused on one little detail and not the entire segment.
No question about that. I am focusing on the choice they made to use the small amount of time they had to tell the story of this game to "highlight" INTs that were ultimately irrelevant.

By comparison, I watched a 1 hour YouTube video this morning by some NCSU homers called Pack Pride who broke down the game. They weren't limited to 2 and-a-half minutes. They had one full hour. They talked for 15 minutes before mentioning Nico's INTs, and then only in passing before going on to more relevant aspects. But the SEC Network led with it. I just wondered if I was the only one who thought that was odd.

VN Store

Back