Should we switch to a 3-4 on defense

They did play a similar version of a 3-3-5 by dropping the best pass rusher into coverage on 3rd down. Its a shame too because the second best pass rusher in the SEC could have potentially gotten more sacks had he not been 10 yards from the line of scrimmage. Pearce only needed 1 to tie or 2 to lead the league.
That's not what really is meant by the 3-4 or the 3-3-5. In 3-4 or 3-3-5, one or both of the outside linebackers is usually a pass rusher on passing downs. The base of the 3-front defenses is with only 3 players on the line but the outside linebackers can cover gaps or be edge rushers. It can be a way to get bigger players in your front seven, especially if you're using a 2-gap approach (every lineman covering two gaps and basically acting like 3 DTs) or some approach with multiple DTs taking multiple gaps.

For our defense I'm not sure how much it matters what it's labeled. We use Pearce pretty much like a 3-4 OLB as it is, covering the edge, rushing the passer, and even dropping into coverage sometimes. They call the position a LEO.

Reactions: DonDiego
That's not what really is meant by the 3-4 or the 3-3-5. In 3-4 or 3-3-5, one or both of the outside linebackers is usually a pass rusher on passing downs. The base of the 3-front defenses is with only 3 players on the line but the outside linebackers can cover gaps or be edge rushers. It can be a way to get bigger players in your front seven, especially if you're using a 2-gap approach (every lineman covering two gaps and basically acting like 3 DTs) or some approach with multiple DTs taking multiple gaps.

For our defense I'm not sure how much it matters what it's labeled. We use Pearce pretty much like a 3-4 OLB as it is, covering the edge, rushing the passer, and even dropping into coverage sometimes. They call the position a LEO.
Oh I know. I was being facetious about dropping our best/only real pass rusher into coverage on 3rd down.

The days of having 3 or 4 linebackers on the field are mostly gone anyway.

Yeah. Let’s replace them with a Jumbotron and surround it with cubicles.

You addressed the defensive position so similarly to how Fulmer wiped out 4000 seats from our stadium.

O Thomas, T West, Hobbs up front and Pearce, Josephs, A Carter, and K Pili standing and rotating in Ross, Bradley, C Herring, Spillman,, and Telander. We are recruiting so much speed at edge so would be nice to have them all on the field in a 3-4. Prolly never happen but fun to think about it
Please explain how a 3-4 defense fixes CBs that couldn’t cover their a$$ with both hands?

There are so many ways to run the 3-4. It can work here. More than anything, schemes have to be understood and executed. 335, 425, 43, 34, it doesn’t matter if it is poorly coached.

After running the 335 and 43 for years, I much prefer a 3 man front at the HS and low college levels. However, anything can work.

Not sure if we should switch to 3 4 or not but I am sure that we need to switch defensive coordinator and defensive back coaches

O Thomas, T West, Hobbs up front and Pearce, Josephs, A Carter, and K Pili standing and rotating in Ross, Bradley, C Herring, Spillman,, and Telander. We are recruiting so much speed at edge so would be nice to have them all on the field in a 3-4. Prolly never happen but fun to think about it
NOOOOOOOO. We don’t have 5 stars along the front. The Georgia’s and Bama’s can pull that off but the Vols, H-E-double hockey sticks no.

Get a hold of Josh Heupel at UT sports and discuss this with him.

VN Store

Back