Should we switch to a 3-4 on defense

I see us as a 4-3-4 or 4-2-5 mixed with 5-2-4 and throwing in the corner blitz or sending a extra man now and then. We will be more aggressive as we get more talented and deeper. GBO

If we do get Nolan that really changes the dynamic. He is a good enough player that we can use him as a hybrid back like Georgia loves to do. You have to have a very talented and very resilient player to pull it off but once you do the offenses are always having to account for him. It truly is the fly in the ointment for many OCs.

I am still a big fan of 4-3, run it a lot on PS3 NCAA. Fireman is the best play lol.

Not sure our formations are the problem. We need tighter coverage of WRs.

They did play a similar version of a 3-3-5 by dropping the best pass rusher into coverage on 3rd down. Its a shame too because the second best pass rusher in the SEC could have potentially gotten more sacks had he not been 10 yards from the line of scrimmage. Pearce only needed 1 to tie or 2 to lead the league.
We do run a 3-3-5

They also have much better secondary that can play man coverage and a front 3 that can still get home, something that the Vols have been missing for a long time.

Almost no one is sending 3 on a regular basis. On almost every play a 3-4 team is simply blitzing/stunting into a 4 man front.

My
Almost no one is sending 3 on a regular basis. On almost every play a 3-4 team is simply blitzing/stunting into a 4 man front.
my point exactly. Sending 3 while dropping your best pass rusher and playing soft zone with 2 deep safeties is about as conservative of a defense as you can play.

O Thomas, T West, Hobbs up front and Pearce, Josephs, A Carter, and K Pili standing and rotating in Ross, Bradley, C Herring, Spillman,, and Telander. We are recruiting so much speed at edge so would be nice to have them all on the field in a 3-4. Prolly never happen but fun to think about it
Is that you SAL

NO. The last thing this program needs to do at this point is to put more linebackers on the field. The Vols haven't had a line backer in a few years who would even be in the 2 deep for any of the teams in the top half of the SEC.

NO. The last thing this program needs to do at this point is to put more linebackers on the field. The Vols haven't had a line backer in a few years who would even be in the 2 deep for any of the teams in the top half of the SEC.

You play less linebackers.

It's either outside linebackers or stand up defensive ends. Either way, I'd rather have four hand in the dirt DLs than 4 guys standing up who are a;; useless in pass coverage

lol you don’t think our edge guys can play the flats

Jenny is a huge Vol fan and a friend of mine. she recommends the 867-5309 defense

No, that wont help us to defend against the dreaded flip six three hole
NME9.gif

Reactions: McDad
We need a 1-10 with Paul Bain on the line (actually wouldn't need the other 10 except to have some guys to help Bain celebrate the sack every play)

A 1-9-1. That way, if Paul Bain were to whiff on the sack (God forbid), we'd have Rod Wilks to clean up the mess.

Reactions: VetVol

VN Store

Back