SI.com's SEC Preview...

gardners_51609

Get Heuped Up!
Alabama, Texas A&M lead 2013 SEC conference preview - College Football - Andy Staples - SI.com

Tennessee picked to go 6-6(3-5) and 5th in the SEC East.

Can any of the new coaches make an immediate dent? Kentucky's Mark Stoops and Tennessee's Butch Jones have energized their respective fan bases because of their recruiting and their energy, but both of those coaches know they don't have the rosters to hang with the best in the SEC yet. Jones has a better group -- his offensive line might be one of the best in the conference -- but he also has a schedule that includes Oregon, Florida, Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina. At Auburn, Gus Malzahn takes over an offense full of players recruited to run his scheme, but the Tigers still must get much better on defense. New Arkansas coach Bret Bielema might have the best chance at an immediate impact. The players coming of age in Fayetteville now signed when Bobby Petrino was at the height of his power, and Bielema has always been good at whipping a talented-but-not-quite-elite roster into giant-slaying shape. Unfortunately, the SEC West is home to some massive giants.

Mark Helfrich, Gus Malzahn, Bret Bielema headline 2013 college football new head coaching primer | Campus Union - SI.com

I don't really understand the Bielema love. Arkansas is going to be bad.

I'm with ya
The media has been all about Bielema. It's just bc he was the biggest name new coach. Arky is going to be very bad. Their roster is in rough shape. They've been losing kids all fall camp too.

Big Ten coach. ESPN loves the "Big Whatever" conference over the inbred, racist, hayseed SEC. :banghead2:

Three straight Rose Bowls is probably why they like BB. That said, the parallels between Arky and UT are uncanny. Both are breaking in a new QB, have young and inexperienced WRs, need to improve immensely on Defense, and have a coach from another conference that has instilled some excitement in the fanbase. Arky is probably a 6-6 team just like UT. The West is brutal.

That's fine, and they might not. I just don't understand calling a 6-6 prediction "love". If that's "love" then SI "loves" Jones just as much as Bielema.

I wasn't limiting the comment to this one article. Overall, Bielema has been regarded as the best hire and most likely to do well quickly. I just don't see it. I'm not saying that Jones is going to come in and have early success either.

Bielema played SEC-like football, scheme wise, at Wisconsin. He'll transition just fine, and him being the best hire I could definitely see coming true. I don't have much knowledge on how Arkansas' team looks right now, short of knowing they have a new QB, so it might take him a while to bring in the talent he wants, but don't think Bielema can't coach in the SEC.

Reactions: 1 person
That's fine, and they might not. I just don't understand calling a 6-6 prediction "love". If that's "love" then SI "loves" Jones just as much as Bielema.

In fact, SI has us going 3-5 in the SEC and Arky going 2-6. Without that Oregon game, they'd have us at 7-5.

Additionally:

Can any of the new coaches make an immediate dent? Kentucky's Mark Stoops and Tennessee's Butch Jones have energized their respective fan bases because of their recruiting and their energy, but both of those coaches know they don't have the rosters to hang with the best in the SEC yet. Jones has a better group -- his offensive line might be one of the best in the conference -- but he also has a schedule that includes Oregon, Florida, Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina.

Those are 5 of the 6 predicted losses. I'm guessing SI predicts UT loses to Vandy again.

The Vandy game is the only one I'll disagree with. I think we beat Vandy. This team isn't the same one that was mentally defeated and had given up @Vandy last year.

I'm just not buying into the Vandy hypewagon just yet.

Bielema played SEC-like football, scheme wise, at Wisconsin. He'll transition just fine, and him being the best hire I could definitely see coming true. I don't have much knowledge on how Arkansas' team looks right now, short of knowing they have a new QB, so it might take him a while to bring in the talent he wants, but don't think Bielema can't coach in the SEC.

Sam Pittman (OL Coach) is a fantastic fit for a Bielema line-em-up-mow-em-down style running attack but I don't know how well Chaney's scheme and especially play-calling will fit in.

I wasn't limiting the comment to this one article. Overall, Bielema has been regarded as the best hire and most likely to do well quickly. I just don't see it. I'm not saying that Jones is going to come in and have early success either.

I agree

He's had more success at the major conference level than any of the other new coaches, in that he's the only one who's had success at the major conference level.

Ill get flamed for this but Charlie Strong was the best coach available in terms of X and O on the market last offseason. He knows exactly how to play and win on the defensive side of the ball in the SEC, and he took a Lousiville team that had half the talent Flordia did and beat them straight up. I feel our best assets with Butch our his leadership, recruiting, and drive. I've never been a huge fan of a spread offense like A&Ms last year, but Butch will bring the run game with him also. I'm excited yet cautious about the future of our offense until I see full commitment to power run the football. I'm all for speeding the game up and getting our players in supreme shape, but in three years I want a power run game in which we don't have to rely on our starting MLB on goal line situations to score the ball. I have full faith in this staff to get that done, and I have full faith with Jancek and others on the other end to bring the house and cause turnovers and sacks, which is what Jancek likes to do. Hell, honestly I'm just ready to quit talking about it and start watching the Butch Jones era with excitement and a smile on my face as I see some VOLS football.

He's had more success at the major conference level than any of the other new coaches, in that he's the only one who's had success at the major conference level.

Which also has nothing to do with the current situation. The SEC West is a long way from the B10. His situation right now at Arky has nothing to do with his success at Wisc.

Which also has nothing to do with the current situation. The SEC West is a long way from the B10. His situation right now at Arky has nothing to do with his success at Wisc.

The BIG 10 is a lot closer to the SEC W than the Big East or the Sun Belt.

I think most here are pretty confident that our coach from the Big East who has never coached in the SEC can get it done for UT, so why is it crazy to think a coach who was very successful in he big 10 can get it done a Arky?

IBWT....In Butch We Trust....I believe we can end up anywhere from 5-7 to 8-4. First up is our smackdown of AP.

I think most here are pretty confident that our coach from the Big East who has never coached in the SEC can get it done for UT, so why is it crazy to think a coach who was very successful in he big 10 can get it done a Arky?

it just is.

you know better than that, you neo maxi zoom dweebie.

mess with the bull and you get the horns.

Reactions: 1 person

Cause a significant number of VN posters are infected with a virus-bacterium hybrid, the symptom thereof being illogical reasoning. :angdev:

it just is.

you know better than that, you neo maxi zoom dweebie.

mess with the bull and you get the horns.

Fire alarms are real funny, aren't they Bender? what if your house, or what if your dope was on fire?

Impossible sir.....it's in Johnson's underwear.

Vandy at 8-4................never happen. Why dont we schedule the school of the blind every week so we can win 9 games. They have beaten NO ONE!!!!!!! Its back to the same old Vandy weve all grown to love over the past 100 years, you know the one you used to route for when they played anybody but UT. Franklin should have jumped ship when he had the chance but he chose to stay and get that penis lookin head of his beat in.

VN Store

Back