So Who Really Is Our Biggest Rival?

Biggest Rival?

• Total voters
Yeah! that's right! and this year let's kill them all and let the BCS sort them out!

Originally posted by TBALLVOL@Feb 18, 2005 5:55 AM
Yeah! that's right! and this year let's kill them all and let the BCS sort them out!

That's the way to be thinking right there. Just focus on winning, it's all you can do.

Here's my list (in order):

1. Bama
2. Bama
3. Bama

Georgia and Florida have shared time as rivals, perennial East competition, and big games. But, for those that aren't new to Tennessee football, there's only one choice.

Don't get me wrong: I loathe the gator chomp, would like to watch Spurrier get kicked in the nuts by a donkey, think Uga is a wanna-be with a dopey mascot, and laugh at even hearing the words "Vanderbilt" and "football" in the same sentence. But, only "Raaaaawwwll Taaaaahhhdddd" can rival the hatred elicited by "Rocky Top" in Tuscaloosa.

BUCK FAMA
GO VOLS

Alabama wins hands down, reasons: When the league expanded and split into divisions in 92, there were a lot of old rivalries that had to take a back seat due to the new alignments. We used to play a 5/2 round robin. In other words, we had 5 teams we played every year and 2 that would rotate on and off from among the other 4. We played annually: Vandy, Kentucky, Bama, Mississippi, Auburn, and the other 4 teams bounced on and off the schedule. Prior to 1988 the SEC only played 6 conference games and the round robin was a 5/1, whereas; 5 teams were on the schedule annually and the other 4 bounced on and off to make up the 6th game.

Prior to the SEC's division and expansion, Georgia Tech rivaled Alabama as our greatest rival. Tech was a member of the SEC until 1964 when they went Independent, then later joined the ACC. Even after Tech left the conference, we were such bitter rivals that neither school could bear the thought of not playing, so they remained on our schedule for another 23 years. From 1954 until 1986 we played them every year.

When the conference went to division play, it meant you played every team in your division and 3 which were not in the division, but with the only logical way to split the conference was by geography, it meant some of each team's annual rivals had to go. This was a real dilemma for the conference. For instance; one of Georgia's greatest rivals was Auburn, so the conference came up with a format that allowed 5 divisional games, 1 non-divisional but annual game (We got to keep Alabama) and then the other 5 teams bounce on and off to make up the other 2 conference games each year.

I can assure you that if Alabama/Tennessee had not been salvaged, there would never have been an expansion with divisional play.

So my vote goes to Alabama.

Now, you can argue this decade, the last 20 years, the last 5 years, but to all of the old-time Vol fans it is and will always be Alabama.

in the east, i gotta go with FLA.... gator - tennessee is fierce here in south FLA.... all i here about at skool is blah blah blah that roughness cal was bull blah blah blah... in the west, i pick ummmmmm bama.... outside the SEC.... gotta be MIAMI :bad: gawd i hate those guys :gun:

Originally posted by milohimself@Feb 14, 2005 6:19 PM
I don't think that anybody will disagree with me in saying the Army vs. Navy game is the best rivalry in all of college ball. The players in that game aren't even going pro nowadays -- They're just playing for the love of the game.

Biggest? Yes.

Best? No way.

Originally posted by checkerboard_charly@Feb 13, 2005 8:29 PM
i hope so. i am gonna cry if we do not beat them.

i mean i want to win by 40.

when was the last time we beat the crocs by more than 30 points?

allvol u there?

Last time we beat Florida by 40...

1990: 45-3 in Neyland, a 7-3 halftime lead exploded when Dale Carter returned the second half opening kick for a TD. It was great payback against Spurrier, who's Duke team had beaten us at home 4 years earlier. :angry:

Originally posted by Vol 4 Life+Feb 20, 2005 9:53 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Vol 4 Life @ Feb 20, 2005 9:53 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-checkerboard_charly@Feb 13, 2005 8:29 PM

allvol u there?

1990: 45-3 in Neyland, a 7-3 halftime lead exploded when Dale Carter returned the second half opening kick for a TD. It was great payback against Spurrier, who&#39;s Duke team had beaten us at home 4 years earlier. :angry: [/quote]
I hope we beat Spurrier and Florida both by 40 this season.....That&#39;s wishful thinking on my part though LOL :D That would be nice though

Originally posted by Vol 4 Life+Feb 20, 2005 9:53 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Vol 4 Life @ Feb 20, 2005 9:53 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-checkerboard_charly@Feb 13, 2005 8:29 PM

allvol u there?

1990: 45-3 in Neyland, a 7-3 halftime lead exploded when Dale Carter returned the second half opening kick for a TD. It was great payback against Spurrier, who&#39;s Duke team had beaten us at home 4 years earlier. :angry: [/quote]
I was there. Great game.

On a side note...Spurrier had beaten us in 1988, but we got revenge the next year, beating Duke 28-6. Then, of course, came the beat downs in 1990 and 1992.

Originally posted by orangetd88+Feb 21, 2005 12:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (orangetd88 @ Feb 21, 2005 12:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Vol 4 Life@Feb 20, 2005 9:53 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-checkerboard_charly
@Feb 13, 2005 8:29 PM

allvol u there?

1990: 45-3 in Neyland, a 7-3 halftime lead exploded when Dale Carter returned the second half opening kick for a TD. It was great payback against Spurrier, who&#39;s Duke team had beaten us at home 4 years earlier. :angry:

I was there. Great game.

On a side note...Spurrier had beaten us in 1988, but we got revenge the next year, beating Duke 28-6. Then, of course, came the beat downs in 1990 and 1992. [/quote]
AAAHHH. The down pour in 1992. Mose Phillips takin&#39; it 69 yards runnin&#39; through gators.

Hmmmm....I am a full fledged Gator Hater and Bama makes me mad too....but I would rather see a dead gator strung up on a goal post in Neyland than some red water in a bucket LOLOLOL....

Originally posted by g8terh8ter_eric@Feb 24, 2005 10:52 PM
than some red water in a bucket LOLOLOL....

MMMMMMMMMMMM Kool Aid&#33; <_<

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@Feb 28, 2005 12:03 AM
Our biggest rival is whomever we happen to be playing at the moment. I hate &#39;em all.

:good:My thoughts exactly&#33; :good:

i know they are not on our schedule much, but what about miami. i mean we have had some battles with those punks.... and it brought us the infamous "I&#39;m a soldier speech"

Tell Kellen Winslow Jr., to go sign-on with No-Limit Records before they go broke....oops....too late....ROFL&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; Make um say uhhhhhhhhhhh.....nana nana nana nana :cool: :cool: :cool:

VN Store

Back