Stacey Abrams chosen to give Democratic response to Trump's State of the Union

I'll take exception to this remark right here.

If moving means you get that $40K a year starting salary position with a company and have the potential to move up in said company, pack up the U-Haul and get your ass to wherever that job happens to be. Especially if it's in your skill set.

As for education, if you choose the wrong degree and can't find a job in your chosen field. Or better yet, didn't do the research in college as to what the job market in your chosen field of study was truly like, you deserve to look foolish for studying Southeast Asian Medieval Literature and getting said degree.

What other factors might you be talking about?

I agree with quite a bit of what you said. It's extremely logical and makes perfect sense.

To use an example from one of my fellow parishioners here: there's been a business expand their hours and open another shift, which means more available jobs. The pay isn't amazing but it's still a solid paycheck and with time and good planning it can be used to open more doors down the road.

There are some barriers, though. The neighborhood they live in is well over a mile from the nearest bus stop. No problem, they're willing to walk to the bus stop. But the job is third shift, which they don't mind working, and the bus doesn't run at times that allow for reasonable arrival or departure. They would have to get to work several hours early even if they caught the last bus. The multi-generational household shares a single car and it is needed elsewhere so it can't be driven to the job opportunity.

This is the type of issue I am referring to. Not a wasted degree that isn't worth the paper it's printed on, not digging in your heels because you aren't willing to move for a better job because you just don't want to, but an actual situation faced by hundreds of people even in the small City I live in now.

I agree with quite a bit of what you said. It's extremely logical and makes perfect sense.

To use an example from one of my fellow parishioners here: there's been a business expand their hours and open another shift, which means more available jobs. The pay isn't amazing but it's still a solid paycheck and with time and good planning it can be used to open more doors down the road.

There are some barriers, though. The neighborhood they live in is well over a mile from the nearest bus stop. No problem, they're willing to walk to the bus stop. But the job is third shift, which they don't mind working, and the bus doesn't run at times that allow for reasonable arrival or departure. They would have to get to work several hours early even if they caught the last bus. The multi-generational household shares a single car and it is needed elsewhere so it can't be driven to the job opportunity.

This is the type of issue I am referring to. Not a wasted degree that isn't worth the paper it's printed on, not digging in your heels because you aren't willing to move for a better job because you just don't want to, but an actual situation faced by hundreds of people even in the small City I live in now.

If the jobs are there, perhaps the business should approach the city about adding a new stop to the bus line? The city gets more in revenue from said bus stop, more in taxes from the additional employed and everyone wins.

Things like this are (should be) common sense. If the city refuses, that's on them. If the manager/owner doesn't make the attempt at changing the paradigm, that's on him.

Reactions: AM64 and AshG
I have a question ... isn’t what she did supposed to be a “ Rebuttal “ to the SOTU ? If it was prerecorded , wouldn’t that be a “Prebuttal” .

Yes, but it makes no difference for Dims. They formulate one point of view and never deviate, negotiate, or compromise. Their minds are like sprung bear traps ... closed and locked. Listen to Pelosi ... "NO".

A: None of them are professing to be the king of business mountain like old squirrel hair is. B. Using Pelosi as your measuring stick is a self-defeating argument in defending him. Congratulations on outing yourself as the nut hugging, jock sniffer I was referring to.

Hey, you are insulting squirrels. Racist!

Reactions: AshG
I
Good question, and probably, but "racist" seems to be the go to term these days.

I think we're at a point where we can just start calling people Ists and cover it all. But yeah, until then, racist will work for squirrels.

Reactions: AM64
Plus, the Dems were trying to raise her chances at the getting into the US Senate in a couple years.

Not sure she did herself much good with that speech, but the Dems no doubt lapped it up.

Plus, the Dems were trying to raise her chances at the getting into the US Senate in a couple years.

Not sure she did herself much good with that speech, but the Dems no doubt lapped it up.
As a GA resident I can say if she can find a way to stay relevant, which supports your point, she has a shot for sure.

VN Store

Back