Star Trek Discussion - Enterprise, TOS, TNG, Discovery, Picard, Strange New Worlds (Paramount+)

Last night I made it to the TNG Season 3 finale & Season 4 premiere 2-parter "The Best of Both Worlds Parts I & II"

I didn't realize how great these two episodes were. The acting by Jonathan Frakes was particularly top notch as was Elizabeth Dennehy guest starring as Lt. Commander Shelby.

It would have been great to have seen her character again. In today's television that story arc would have last 6 to 8 episodes with Riker as Captain of the Enterprise and her as #1 and that would have been awesome.

Last night I made it to the TNG Season 3 finale & Season 4 premiere 2-parter "The Best of Both Worlds Parts I & II"

I didn't realize how great these two episodes were. The acting by Jonathan Frakes was particularly top notch as was Elizabeth Dennehy guest starring as Lt. Commander Shelby.

It would have been great to have seen her character again. In today's television that story arc would have last 6 to 8 episodes with Riker as Captain of the Enterprise and her as #1 and that would have been awesome.

The Best of Both Worlds, Part I was the best episode of the series to that point. The resolution in Part II wasn't nearly as exciting, but Part I might be the best cliffhanger they've ever done.

I never cared much for Riker to that point. It wasn't until that episode that I started warming up to him. We might have seen more of him as captain and Shelby as the new #1 if the rumors had been true and Patrick Stewart had left the show after the third season. Fortunately for us, Stewart decided to stay and the storytelling as a whole got better.

In today's more serialized storytelling format, Picard processing the trauma of his assimilation would have been great drama for a multi-episode story arc instead of just the subsequent episode Family.

Last edited:
Reactions: CagleMtnVol
While I'm not the biggest fan of the original series I think it's dated but alright for its time . However I absolutely love the original series films. I'll eventually be picking these up on 4K. Hopefully a Black Friday sale!

VN Store

Back