Starting QB Poll

Who do you think will be the starting QB for Tennessee?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am betting it will be Worley. CBJ is just not announcing it until he has to. JW will get his shot, If it doesn't work out then one of the others will step in. I just hope that we don't see quarterback by committee before the end of the season.

Reactions: 1 person
I promise you...if we have to start a true freshman in the SEC...WE'RE IN TROUBLE!!!! We'd better hope that Worley's the answer this year! Go Vols!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Ferguson will play by 2nd half, Worley starts but struggles!!! Did butch say he wasn't going to rotate QB'S ? Co starters 1A and 1B

Why all of the negative on Worley? You people act as if you are expecting failure. I hope Worley starts and remains the starter this year and the next year. His success is also the teams success. The guy wasn't named Gatorade Player of The Year because he sucks!!!

Reactions: 6 people
Where's the poll? To be honest, it's really a moot point, to begin with. CBJ and staff have been keeping their cards close to the vest. All we can do is speculate with little to go on.

I think they feel a bit obligated to let Worley start off, seeing he has SEC game experience and he hasn't hurt himself to this point. The first two games will probably be be treated as preseason games. That's the only way for them to tell who is the leader of the group.

He may not have hurt himself, but he is a junior and hasn't distanced himself from a RSFreshman and two true Freshman. To me that doesn't bode well for his future as a starting quarterback. Of course, I want whoever they decided upon to do well, but I won't be surprised if they start Ferguson.

I promise you...if we have to start a true freshman in the SEC...WE'RE IN TROUBLE!!!! We'd better hope that Worley's the answer this year! Go Vols!!!

I disagree. While it's not ideal, if they went with Ferguson to start the season he would have three starts before we start our SEC schedule against Florida. I don't care who they start, as I am sure they know what they are doing, but I won't flip out and scream "It's the end of the world!!!" if they start Ferguson.

It really doesn't seem like Peterman gets enough attention on here. As I believe Worley will be the starter for at least the first 2-3 games, I feel if anybody could pass him, it would be Peterman.

He's already had a year with the Tennessee football program, he's physically ready to compete in the SEC, he appears to have the strongest arm on the team, and he extends plays with his mobility.

Both Ferguson and Dobbs have potential, but I feel like Peterman is more game ready at this moment. He looks very well improved compared to his showing at the Orange and White game back in spring.

Of course, this will all hinge on the play of Worley, but I just feel Peterman brings the most to the table at QB this year. Worley may surprise us all, and flourish as the starter, but I just don't see it happening. I'll support him either way, and really hope he can find success as our QB here at Tennessee.

Last edited:
Why all of the negative on Worley? You people act as if you are expecting failure. I hope Worley starts and remains the starter this year and the next year. His success is also the teams success. The guy wasn't named Gatorade Player of The Year because he sucks!!!

I'm with coach.

That's what I do not understand.......to say we're going to go with someone else, is anticipating failure.... Whether it's Worley or someone else, I would like to see us finish with the player the coach goes with in the beginning, because that means they are being successful.

That's what I do not understand.......to say we're going to go with someone else, is anticipating failure.... Whether it's Worley or someone else, I would like to see us finish with the player the coach goes with in the beginning, because that means they are being successful.

Bingo.

Too many are already writing off this year and the next.

Last edited:
They need to keep it a surprise until gameday. Austin Peay won't know how to prepare for us!

I'm joking of course! :)

I would start Peterman only to give Dobbs time. Folks, Worley has proved time and again that hes not an SEC QB. Whenever he throws the ball, he stiff arms his passes. He makes BAD decesions and isnt mobile. Peterman made some dumb decesions in the spring game, but is more mobile and has a better throwing motion. All this being said, Dobbs is our man in the end and for the next 4 years

Reactions: 1 person
I would start Peterman only to give Dobbs time. Folks, Worley has proved time and again that hes not an SEC QB.
When was that? Unless you watched every practice and then went into the film room with the QB's... you simply don't know that. If you are basing it on his two starts as a Fr... be reminded that he performed as well as Bray and better than Simms.

Whenever he throws the ball, he stiff arms his passes.
He has an odd delivery. It concerns me that he tends to drop the ball just a little before delivering. That could well be his undoing.

He makes BAD decesions
Really? Based on what? The reports are that all of the QB's have made some bad decisions but he makes the fewest. You also have to factor in that you challenge guys at different levels. You don't throw 1st graders into an algebra class... you challenge the kids that are ready for it with algebra and teach 1st graders their numbers and simple math functions.

If a guy has proven he can make certain reads then you throw more complex things at him. He may not succeed. It will often make him look worse than another guy who is being challenged with things already mastered by the first guy.

My basic point is that good QB coaches/OC's like Cutcliffe do this. They challenge guys differently. Guys are at different points of development.

You nor I know whether Worley's "bad decisions" were made because he's at the same level as the others and struggling or because he's being challenged at a higher level.

and isnt mobile.
Jones made it clear from the start that he wanted someone who could manage the offense, avoid mistakes, and throw the ball first. All other things being equal I am sure mobility would factor in.... but that is down the line. Jones said he would run and apparently is running a pro-style offense. The spread option is unlikely to be a major component.

Peterman made some dumb decesions in the spring game, but is more mobile and has a better throwing motion. All this being said, Dobbs is our man in the end and for the next 4 years
Nice opinion but it is based on very little. Jones said before spring ball that there would be an open competition. He said guys who were there in the spring would get their chance then. The Fr were going to get their chance in the fall. Coming out of spring, Worley was running with the 1's the most and first. Dobbs got the first chance this fall to knock him off... and didn't. Ferguson got a chance recently... and apparently hasn't.

Jones has now decided to ramp up the pressure one last time to see who cracks and who excels. We will see very soon which way he decides to go.

But what has been said and reported publicly indicates nothing more than Dobbs and Ferguson have performed very well for freshmen. That does NOT mean they are performing at a 2nd or 3rd year level.

Reactions: 3 people
1. worley will be named starter monday
2. worley & peterman will both play sat. peterman will have better showing. fergie and dobber will play late.
3. same scenario vs. wku, although dobber and fergie don't get reps - tighter game.
4. peterman named starter going into uf game
5. dobbs starts to garner primary backup role
6. worley transfers (thanks for your services, son)

i'm still holding out hope that CBJ will name peterman on monday so we can skip a couple of steps. peterman has been better in camp and he and dobbs give us the highest ceiling on offense.

7. dobbs catching up fast and given first injury or issue to peterman, he becomes the starter (around game 8).

Unless Ferguson or Dobbs has taken one of the two top spots their potential red shirt will not be burned against APSU or WKU. They will not play unless there are injuries unless they break into the top two.

Reactions: 5 people
They key here is game experience I've been saying it over and over that will be key to Worley starting and after others get game experience then he will lose the job

People keep saying this like JW has a season under his belt. While it does count as experience, Peterman would have the first 2 games to get his own. I think a dt qb gives us a better chance

VN Store

Back