Steroids (Thread)

That documentary is awesome. My favorite part is when he nails the guy in the symphony for using amphetamines.

Are we talking 1950's natural? I mean, I drink a 16 oz. protein every night after I workout. Does that mean I'm "all natural"? I'm not using anything illegal, but technically not "natural" either.

That's a silly argument.

Yep 1950's. If you can't pack on the muscle without taking something then you don't play.

Takes out all the what if's. I like it that way.

Do away with weightlifting & any kind of other training too.

Right. I don't understand why the guy with the most natural ability is to be glorified over somebody who got to the same level through performance enhancers. The guy with natural ability certainly didn't earn it.

Everyone needs sustenance. Not everyone needs steroids, and if they do, a professional will prescribe them to you.

Keep in mind CC, not everyone is smarter than a physician when it comes to steroids.

you'd be surprised how much doctors outside the hrt specialty lack in knowledge about anabolic-androgenic steroids.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not saying it is going to happen. I would really like to see it though.

I am an average athlete by today's standard.

Irrelevant. Should we ban 7 footers in the NBA because we're short in comparison?

Why? I feel like the story of the game has left the game.

Not one bit. Baseball players have looked for an advantage (substances or otherwise) from the inception of the game, and will continue to do so until history's final out has been recorded. Does that make it 'right'? No.

If a substance or practice is banned, then the player should receive punishment if caught breaking the rule. Will that stop everyone from partaking in the banned practices? Of course not. Ever heard the phrase "if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying"? Not to mention the money that on can earn by gaining an advantage on your fellow player. Bigger contracts, perks for reaching performance milestones - or even being the difference between being a career minor leaguer (making next to nothing) and playing a few seasons in the show (league minimum is $400+ thousand a year).

To get back to the question asked by OP, yes and no. I don't like that some HOF-caliber guys (Bonds) used them to break (in his case, shatter) sacred records. In his case, yeah, I do care that he used them. Does that mean he doesn't belong in Cooperstown? Of course not. Do I care that the 25th man on the roster used PEDs to earn that roster spot? Unless he bumped a guy who never used or cheated, no. Do I care if an injured guy used them to get back quicker or stay healthy? Not one bit.

When arm injuries/surgeries ended my playing career, did I contemplate using to extend my career? You bet ya. If using a PED would have gotten me back healthy enough to play in time for my last year of eligibility, would I have used? Most definitely.

Irrelevant. Should we ban 7 footers in the NBA because we're short in comparison?

Not one bit. Baseball players have looked for an advantage (substances or otherwise) from the inception of the game, and will continue to do so until history's final out has been recorded. Does that make it 'right'? No.

If a substance or practice is banned, then the player should receive punishment if caught breaking the rule. Will that stop everyone from partaking in the banned practices? Of course not. Ever heard the phrase "if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying"? Not to mention the money that on can earn by gaining an advantage on your fellow player. Bigger contracts, perks for reaching performance milestones - or even being the difference between being a career minor leaguer (making next to nothing) and playing a few seasons in the show (league minimum is $400+ thousand a year).

To get back to the question asked by OP, yes and no. I don't like that some HOF-caliber guys (Bonds) used them to break (in his case, shatter) sacred records. In his case, yeah, I do care that he used them. Does that mean he doesn't belong in Cooperstown? Of course not. Do I care that the 25th man on the roster used PEDs to earn that roster spot? Unless he bumped a guy who never used or cheated, no. Do I care if an injured guy used them to get back quicker or stay healthy? Not one bit.

When arm injuries/surgeries ended my playing career, did I contemplate using to extend my career? You bet ya. If using a PED would have gotten me back healthy enough to play in time for my last year of eligibility, would I have used? Most definitely.

Did I say that?

I commend you for not using a PED.

Did I say that?

I commend you for not using a PED.

No, you didn't say that; I guess I thought you implied something you apparently did not.

Don't commend me so quickly. If I had enough time to recover from surgery to play that last season of eligibility or if I thought I could have come back strong enough to have a shot at being picked up as an undrafted free-agent, I most definitely would have taken them.

No, you didn't say that; I guess I thought you implied something you apparently did not.

Don't commend me so quickly. If I had enough time to recover from surgery to play that last season of eligibility or if I thought I could have come back strong enough to have a shot at being picked up as an undrafted free-agent, I most definitely would have taken them.

Man I wish I would of had the shot to play college ball. Small town BS is a dream killer.

Man I wish I would of had the shot to play college ball. Small town BS is a dream killer.

I am from a very small town. I had to play lots of summer ball and go to showcases to have that shot. Ironically, the injuries that eventually ended my career were a direct result of a misdiagnosed injury I suffered while playing summer ball...lol.

I am from a very small town. I had to play lots of summer ball and go to showcases to have that shot. Ironically, the injuries that eventually ended my career were a direct result of a misdiagnosed injury I suffered while playing summer ball...lol.

Maybe I missed it, but would you take Roids to have healed faster to back out and play? I would.

Maybe I missed it, but would you take Roids to have healed faster to back out and play? I would.

Just a couple things that hasn't really been discussed clearly. The term "roids" is being used very loosely. There are many many many types that have specific characteristics & benefits as well as different side effects & levels of toxicity. Also age. Using them as a teen or in early twenties is more risky than waiting until your body has fully matured or later. Also, unless you plan on being on juice you entire life non stop, you need to know the measures you need to take in order to help get your body back to normal & getting your natural juices flowing again as well as helping keep as much of the benefits you gained while taking roids.

Just a couple things that hasn't really been discussed clearly. The term "roids" is being used very loosely. There are many many many types that have specific characteristics & benefits as well as different side effects & levels of toxicity. Also age. Using them as a teen or in early twenties is more risky than waiting until your body has fully matured or later. Also, unless you plan on being on juice you entire life non stop, you need to know the measures you need to take in order to help get your body back to normal & getting your natural juices flowing again as well as helping keep as much of the benefits you gained while taking roids.

I agree, I was just not being very specific.

If the timeline were different (had Tommy John in August, no way to be back for any portion of the season no matter what) or if I had another year of eligibility, yes I would have. If that were my first arm injury/surgery, I wouldn't have really considered it, but complete shoulder reconstruction (along with some major complications) and TJ surgery within 18 months of each other left me significantly weaker (not just in my arm) than I had been since I was probably 15 or 16. My justification was that I wouldn't have used them to enhance but to just get back to where I should have been at that time.

You speak the truth. That's one of the reasons I think it should be decriminalized and studied, regulated, and prescribed to only those who had reached an acceptable level of physical maturity. Too many people lack even a basic understanding of all things "roids". When I was considering using them I spent hours searching/reading online for legitimate information (most was found in forums) as well as speaking with people I knew personally who either currently or previously used. I feel that had I decided to use, I was knowledgeable and prepared enough to have done so safely without risking any serious or long-term effects (it would have been only 1 or 2 cycles).

Last edited:
I have no problems with somebody using....bc even if you do use them you still have to put in the effort....

What I do have a problem with is those guys who use and then swear up and down they are natural....just admit it and be done with it....

if I benched 405 natural and 480 with steroids...does it diminish the fact that I still pushed 480lbs off my chest to a full extension....NO....I still had to go to the gym week in and week out and put in the hours and time to do it....just bc you dose doesn't guarantee anything....

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back