Strassburg shutdown opion thread

I can't believe they won't let him pitch in the playoffs. What's the point of going to the playoffs if you're not gonna try to win?

I can't believe they won't let him pitch in the playoffs. What's the point of going to the playoffs if you're not gonna try to win?

If I were a Nationals fan who had spent money attending games and following that team all year long I would be irate about all of this. Imagine if it were the Cubs, in the midst of a 100+ year WS drought, in the Nats shoes right now. Can you imagine the outrage from Cubs fans if their team had the best record in the NL in mid-September and the front office just went ahead and ran up the white flag for the year in hopes of possibly winning multiple titles somewhere on down the line. The organization owes it to their fans to try and win now, when they are fielding a team capable of contending for the pennant, not in some hypothetical scenario somewhere down the road.

Strikeouts are so overrated. Results for W/L is what matters. Laughable all that y'all can put up are K numbers.

Strikeouts are so overrated. Results for W/L is what matters. Laughable all that y'all can put up are K numbers.

What's the bestest stat then there bud?

Being able to dominate and put away hitters. So overrated.

If I were a Nationals fan who had spent money attending games and following that team all year long I would be irate about all of this. Imagine if it were the Cubs, in the midst of a 100+ year WS drought, in the Nats shoes right now. Can you imagine the outrage from Cubs fans if their team had the best record in the NL in mid-September and the front office just went ahead and ran up the white flag for the year in hopes of possibly winning multiple titles somewhere on down the line. The organization owes it to their fans to try and win now, when they are fielding a team capable of contending for the pennant, not in some hypothetical scenario somewhere down the road.

Our record in non Strasburg starts would still be the best winning pct in baseball. So. There's that.

Exactly. Cubs fans would be rioting in the street. Nothing is guaranteed in baseball, it's mind boggling a franchise that hasn't won **** would do this.

Obvious answer. But it could be worse.

I'm not saying it doesn't hurt us.

It'll just be funny when, if we get eliminated, everyone acts like that is the sole reason for it. Instead of recognizing the utter randomness of MLB postseason.

It'll just be funny when, if we get eliminated, everyone acts like that is the sole reason for it. Instead of recognizing the utter randomness of MLB postseason.

"What he said."

2001g1CoxPostGame.jpg

K rate obviously isn't a defining stat, but to say they are overrated is just dumb. Pitchers with a high K/9 tend to be very good. The strikeout is the best out you can get because nothing can happen as the ball is not put in play. Hard to argue that is overrated.

Strikeouts are pretty irrelevant in evaluating past value, but they are heavily useful in predicting future dominance. Give me the great strikeout pitcher in the postseason every time.

Was genuinely curious as to why arencibia, or anyone with sense, hadn't already jumped on that hanging curveball of a comment.

I guess I should say that most of the time it is the best out to get with the exception of the groundball for a doubleplay.

But overall, strikeouts aren't overrated. However, wins and losses for a pitcher are ;)

VN Store

Back