Student Loan Forgiveness, Free College

rjd970

Proposal by Elizabeth Warren on 2020 campaign....

Elizabeth Warren releases sweeping student debt cancellation and free college plan - CNNPolitics

Warren's new plan would forgive $50,000 in student loans for Americans in households earning less than $100,000 a year. According to analysis provided by her campaign, that would provide immediate relief to more than 95% of the 45 million Americans with student debt. The Massachusetts Democrat and 2020 contender is also calling for a drastic increase in federal spending on higher education that would make tuition and fees free for all students at two- and four-year public colleges and expand grants for lower-income and minority students to cover costs like housing, food, books and child care.
The campaign estimates that the plan would cost $1.25 trillion over 10 years.

The revenue from Warren's wealth tax proposal -- a 2% tax on wealth above $50 million and a 3% tax on wealth above $1 billion -- would pay for her newest proposal, her campaign said......"For two cents on the dollar, we could pay for universal child care, universal pre-K, universal college and knock back the student loan debt burden for about 43 million Americans and still have nearly, just short, of $1 trillion leftover," Warren said. "It tells you how badly out of whack our economy is right now."

I have mixed feelings on this. On one side this could almost be a stimulus by wiping out debt and freeing up money to put in the economy, plus if we are going to subsidize something make it incentivized to do something constructive like go to school. Perhaps it makes someone more marketable to get a job instead of sitting at home.

On the flip, its more taxing wealth and will be yet another government balloon bureaucracy. I would also want this to cover learning a trade, or only cover certain academic areas that are actually marketable in the workforce, which I think would have the most impact for the buck. If somebody is getting a free degree in comparative 17th century literature then we are wasting money.

Elizabeth Warren releases sweeping student debt cancellation and free college plan - CNNPolitics

I have mixed feelings on this. On one side this could almost be a stimulus by wiping out debt and freeing up money to put in the economy, plus if we are going to subsidize something make it incentivized to do something constructive like go to school. Perhaps it makes someone more marketable to get a job instead of sitting at home.

On the flip, its more taxing wealth and will be yet another government balloon bureaucracy. I would also want this to cover learning a trade, or only cover certain academic areas that are actually marketable in the workforce, which I think would have the most impact for the buck. If somebody is getting a free degree in comparative 17th century literature then we are wasting money.
A Federal VAT? Oh boy, that a black diamond slush hill that refroze overnight waiting to happen.

How about free tech school for HS juniors and up? Get rid of generational welfare over time and pay for the schools that way. Return the US to manufacturing excellence.

Nah, let's just hand out fish, it much easier to eat them already cleaned and cooked. Who wants to learn to fish? Rather stay high and down on the corner selling meth. ****ing Dims.

Reactions: Boca Vol and Zues1
I don't think the plan is that bad of an idea, but did she mention how much it would cost?
It's not that the plan is "bad" for an additional tax, it's just that's it's an additional tax for the Dims to rob from down the road and then justify raising it a percent here, a percent there, dropping the worth limit to 1mil, then 500k, then next thing you know you have a fed VAT, fed income tax, state VAT, State income tax, county income tax, local income tax. Dims never stop.

How about free tech school for HS juniors and up? Get rid of generational welfare over time and pay for the schools that way. Return the US to manufacturing excellence.

Nah, let's just hand out fish, it much easier to eat them already cleaned and cooked. Who wants to learn to fish? Rather stay high and down on the corner selling meth. ****ing Dims.
Community college is free in multiple states. It's just getting a certificate is frowned upon in the circles of "higher thinking"

Community college is free in multiple states. It's just getting a certificate is frowned upon in the circles of "higher thinking"

Yes, if you don’t have 6 figure college debt on a degree that can’t get you a job then you’re a nobody.

Libs have pushed for a long time everyone should go to college and that's the main issue here. Not everyone is built for college. There isn't a damn thing wrong with trade schools or hell just go to work, learn a skill and work your way up.

NOT COMM COLLEGE! Tech Schools. Learn a trade.
I'm pretty sure tech programs are taught at most, if not all, community colleges. But I do agree with starting those programs in high school. Lots of demand in those jobs and the students who are bad at academics are rarely told by advisers that tech programs are an option.

I demand reparations for having paid off college myself!
As you should. Just like all the immigrants who became citizens the right way should be refunded any and all fees associated with becoming a citizen if the illegals magically become citizens.

Libs have pushed for a long time everyone should go to college and that's the main issue here. Not everyone is built for college. There isn't a damn thing wrong with trade schools or hell just go to work, learn a skill and work your way up.

Yeah, it's just libs.

We shouldn't bail anybody out, but if we're going to bail groups out, it shouldn't be automakers and it shouldn't be banks. It should be the young people society duped into the lie that everyone needs a 4-year degree. We won't let 18 year olds buy alcohol, but we'll indoctrinate them to believe the only pathway to success starts with $40k of student loan debt.

Reactions: theFallGuy
Yeah, it's just libs.

We shouldn't bail anybody out, but if we're going to bail groups out, it shouldn't be automakers and it shouldn't be banks. It should be the young people society duped into the lie that everyone needs a 4-year degree.We won't let 18 year olds buy alcohol, but we'll indoctrinate them to believe the only pathway to success starts with $40k of student loan debt.

The ones who chose worthless degrees, such as SJW degrees, shouldn’t be bailed out by anyone. Let them starve.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
I'm pretty sure tech programs are taught at most, if not all, community colleges. But I do agree with starting those programs in high school. Lots of demand in those jobs and the students who are bad at academics are rarely told by advisers that tech programs are an option.
I looked for a welding class at Comm College's in Cincinnati and there weren't any. They used to be taught at comm colleges but I think the tech programs died out. Kids are shuffled through the system now because the system has to survive. When we get back to preparing kids vs. catering to them we will be able to MAGA. However, right now the inmates run the asylum.

Reactions: Rishvol
First they came for the billionaires, and I did not speak out
Because I was not a billionaires.
Then they came for the millionaires, and I did not speak out
Because I was not a millionaires.
Then they came for the comfortably wealthy, and I did not speak out
Because I was not a comfortably wealthy.
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.​

Yeah, it's just libs.

We shouldn't bail anybody out, but if we're going to bail groups out, it shouldn't be automakers and it shouldn't be banks. It should be the young people society duped into the lie that everyone needs a 4-year degree. We won't let 18 year olds buy alcohol, but we'll indoctrinate them to believe the only pathway to success starts with $40k of student loan debt.
Absolutely just libs. Most teachers are libs and they push college for 13 years. I don't want banks, automakers or dumb young people who usually only go to college to party bailed out.

Why are liberals bound and determined to make a college degree the next high school diploma?
Because everybody being poor sounds better to them than having everyone above a certain level of wealth, but some people being waaaaay above that level and others far behind.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...progressives aren't upset because some people are that poor. They're upset because some people are that rich. What it is precisely that makes them upset is telling.

If doubling the poor person's income meant that a rich guy's income would also double, they wouldn't like it because the inequality between them has grown, even though the poor guy doubled his income.

I'd try to achieve the same economy-spurring growth in a slightly different way.

First, rather than just forgive government student loans, I'd let people enroll in a repayment plan with no interest. As long as they did not default, they could pay off with no interest. Would be much less expensive and would not require nearly as much funding through higher taxes.

Second, I'd increase the tax on the wealthiest by 1 to 5 %, structured similarly.

Third, I'd reduce middle class taxes by a 70 % of amount we generated by the increased taxes on the wealthiest, using the other 30 % to reduce the national debt.

VN Store

Back