Sufficient Wide Receiver Experience

chattaboogie

I drink and post.
So I was just reading Football Time and the receiver bios got me thinking about experience at the position.

Player Games Played In
V. Dallas 23
D. Young 19
Cody Blanc 11
J. Carter 11
P. Howard 10
J. Croom 3

Then you can include Brendan Downs who has seen action in 18 games as Tight End.

Justin Worley, the likely choice at QB, has played in 9 games the past two seasons and has attempted 110 passes.

I know this does not show productivity but it does show that we are far from throwing out a bunch of true freshmen. The players listed will all benefit from the offseasons they have been a part of as a member of an SEC team. I feel that these players have sufficient talent and were simply eclipsed by the incredible talents that have made up our passing game the last two years. I believe that this group has enough in-game experience to not come out shell shocked and completely incompetent as some posters on here seem to think.

Also, we field a veteran O Line and two veteran backs to help take away some of the stress.

I am looking forward to a consistent Volunteer offense this season.

Reactions: 19 people
So I was just reading Football Time and the receiver bios got me thinking about experience at the position.

Player Games Played In
V. Dallas 23
D. Young 19
Cody Blanc 11
J. Carter 11
P. Howard 10
J. Croom 3

Then you can include Brendan Downs who has seen action in 18 games as Tight End.

Justin Worley, the likely choice at QB, has played in 9 games the past two seasons and has attempted 110 passes.

I know this does not show productivity but it does show that we are far from throwing out a bunch of true freshmen. The players listed will all benefit from the offseasons they have been a part of as a member of an SEC team. I feel that these players have sufficient talent and were simply eclipsed by the incredible talents that have made up our passing game the last two years. I believe that this group has enough in-game experience to not come out shell shocked and completely incompetent as some posters on here seem to think.

Also, we field a veteran O Line and two veteran backs to help take away some of the stress.

those WRs plus the TEs / HBs have a grand total of 47 receptions during their careers at Tennessee. Spending time on special teams counts as game participation but does not do a lot toward developing pass receiving skills on SEC football fields.

to show that another way, that is point 5 receptions per game played for our returning pass catchers..

I recognized an over sight. I missed getting Young's receptions. I've added those

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
those WRs plus the TEs / HBs have a grand total of 39 receptions during their careers at Tennessee. Spending time on special teams counts as game participation but does not do a lot toward developing pass receiving skills on SEC football fields.

to show that another way, that is point 3 receptions per game played for our returning pass catchers..

I was focusing more on the issue of players being intimidated by the game atmosphere. I think that it is important that these players have spent time on the field because that results in a higher level of comfort and confidence. Also, they have had more time in a college strength and conditioning program and more practice reps than true freshman would. Have they caught a lot of passes? No. But I think they will be able to get the job done and perhaps buy some time for young players such as North to develop.

Reactions: 5 people
I was focusing more on the issue of players being intimidated by the game atmosphere. I think that it is important that these players have spent time on the field because that results in a higher level of comfort and confidence. Also, they have had more time in a college strength and conditioning program and more practice reps than true freshman would. Have they caught a lot of passes? No. But I think they will be able to get the job done and perhaps buy some time for young players such as North to develop.

I agree with those points and is why I think those kids will be out there opposed to the freshman, at least for the majority of the year. but they are still learning how to play their positions and have a lot to learn yet

I agree with those points and is why I think those kids will be out there opposed to the freshman, at least for the majority of the year. but they are still learning how to play their positions and have a lot to learn yet

Agreed

Player Games Played In
V. Dallas 23
D. Young 19
Cody Blanc 11
J. Carter 11
P. Howard 10
J. Croom 3

I like the post but be careful most people on here don't like positive thinking.

Reactions: 4 people
I agree that we have sufficient WR experience. We will also have 2 warm-up games to prep our youngsters in front of a friendly crowd before they go to the Zoo and Swamp. WR is not like the QB position. Experience isn't THAT important. I believe we will be fine. As you said,we have a stud OL and experienced RBs to relieve the pressure. I am confident CBJ will have our WRs ready by the Oregon and Florida games. GO VOLS!

Reactions: 2 people
I thought Croom was a RS freshman?

He was a medical redshirt. He played in 3 games before injuring his shoulder.

:hi:

As far as the thread goes this team has a lot of depth, talent and experience especially in the trenches where it matters. Backs, WR's and QB's are only as good as the line and ours can be really good with the line that we have this year! JMO

:eek:k:

Tennesseeduke

Reactions: 3 people
Also I think the linebackers will be much improved. I'm really looking forward to the 4-3 again and seeing Maggitt, Johnson, Propst, King, Sapp, Bynum & company doing work! The D Line is deep and talented now that all the players that were redshirted from last year are available and have a year of weight room under their belt. If the D line is even decent with the likes of McCullers, Couch, Miller, Malik Brown, Jason Carr, Hood, O'brian, Saulsberry, Smith, Vereen etc... then this should help with the D backs and their coverage. Now that Sal dumb@#$$ is gone to FSU this defense should be good to really good. JMO

Improved kicking game and just equal to last year on the return game, to me sets up for 9 to 10 wins because of the TEAM experience and really good coaching!

:good!:

Tennesseeduke

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I like anything that catches touchdowns!! Like more someone who can throw the ball to people to catch the touchdown....just saying.

I think Worley surprises a lot of people this year! Kids got game and now coaching!

:eek:k:

Tennesseeduke

Misleading by the OP....Young is playing a totally new position so he might as well be a freshman. Croom's 3 games no reasonable person would classify as experience, and I don't think Blanc has a catch yet.

Reactions: 1 person
I like the fact that even though our experience varies our rbs and o-line have played for a while together and are experienced and that our qbs and wrs while inexperienced are talented and can grow into 2-4 years of playing together
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Misleading by the OP....Young is playing a totally new position so he might as well be a freshman. Croom's 3 games no reasonable person would classify as experience, and I don't think Blanc has a catch yet.

I do believe DY played some in the slot last year. Mainly for screens and reverses.

those WRs plus the TEs / HBs have a grand total of 39 receptions during their careers at Tennessee. Spending time on special teams counts as game participation but does not do a lot toward developing pass receiving skills on SEC football fields.

to show that another way, that is point 3 receptions per game played for our returning pass catchers..

When the other team de-values them and loads up against the run, these boys just have to run disciplined routes, get open, make that catch and go. Sorta like what ZRodgers did against NCSt. last year.

VN Store

Back