Swain on the d-line

Our defense gave up 20.3 points per game (PPG) in 2023, which is down from 29.1 PPG in 2021 (the 2022 Vol's defense gave up 22.8 PPG). Last year's defense ranked 9th in PPG given up since 2000. The 2015 Vols squad was the last defense to give up fewer than 20.3 PPG (20.0 PPG). You have to go back to 2008 to find defenses that gave up fewer PPG than 20.0.
Say what you want, but we are getting better on defense and this year's D should be even better.
Combine this with, hopefully, improved offensive production and we should be set to win around 10 games this year.

Our defense gave up 20.3 points per game (PPG) in 2023, which is down from 29.1 PPG in 2021 (the 2022 Vol's defense gave up 22.8 PPG). Last year's defense ranked 9th in PPG given up since 2000. The 2015 Vols squad was the last defense to give up fewer than 20.3 PPG (20.0 PPG). You have to go back to 2008 to find defenses that gave up fewer PPG than 20.0.
Say what you want, but we are getting better on defense and this year's D should be even better.
Combine this with, hopefully, improved offensive production and we should be set to win around 10 games this year.
Our Defense has improved since the Huepel Era began. Dating back all the way to 2016 Our defense would give up a few 40+ pt games a season. Last season noone scored 40 points on us. That alone is an improvement. Going back and looking at those and seeing Vandy score 45 and 42 Pts on us in back to back years made me sick to my stomach.

Little was 6-3 Pierce 6-5, the big difference is Pierce wing spread, both great D-lineman. I look for Pierce to bat down or effect a lot of passes along with the sacks.
Leonard was long too. I saw him up close in a sleeveless shirt; (Senior Bowl) and He had some long guns. Jonathan Brown had em too. Had a good conversation, nice guys. 1997.

Last edited:
Ainge said on this radio show today the Fulmer told him that Pierce reminded him of Leonard Little. High praise, and accurate IMO.
Ainge also talked about how badly Pearce whooped Dayne Davis and others. Was in the backfield as Nico caught the snap. Asked Heupel "how are you going to block him in fall camp?" Heup said "we won't with just one.."

Ainge also talked about how badly Pearce whooped Dayne Davis and others. Was in the backfield as Nico caught the snap. Asked Heupel "how are you going to block him in fall camp?" Heup said "we won't with just one.."

Hype shoulda said, "That's for our Opponents to worry about!"

Steele Rates UT Dline #8 in the Country. 1-Osu- 2 Psu-3Utah-4Michigan-5Neb- 6 A&M-7 Uga-8 Tennessee. Some players are rated higher than UT's, but UT has the depth. And Pierce.
I didn’t realize UGA had a dominant defense this yr as they’ve lost a ton of players to the draft.

Though they reload every year in recruiting and portal.

Pearce is a Junior. Way too early to make that claim. Also, too early to put them in the same class as White and Smith.
Garrett is a beast but I'm not sure I would put him in the same company as Reggie White. There are at least 4-5 other NFL DE's in Garrett's tier currently. Watt, Bosa, Parsons, and Crosby come to mind without thinking about it. Could also throw Reddick in that convo too.

Pearce is a Junior. Way too early to make that claim. Also, too early to put them in the same class as White and Smith.

Myles Garrett is in the mold of Reggie White and Bruce Smith as a talent. He just needs their longevity to be in their class. The talent however is already in that class.

Reactions: cardvolfan
A lot of players will whip Dayne Davis, if he plays a lot...Unfortunately.

Nah. James Pearce is not Myles Garrett. Nobody is. Garrett is a generational player in the mold of Reggie White and Bruce Smith. We'll probably not see another defensive end like Myles Garrett for another decade.
His professional career isn't anywhere near theirs. Another awful take.

His professional career isn't anywhere near theirs. Another awful take.
He has extremely bad takes. But Garrett is feared just as much as those guys were. His career accomplishments aren't up to theirs yet but on a play to play basis, he's as good as anybody.

Who cares what Fulmer says, just go away.
Always "backing" our guys and relentlessly standing up for them to the point where other fan bases hate us is what makes this fanbase and area great. If we lose that we're no better than any other place or large metro in America. It's a big reason we still could recruit decently even being in the wilderness for years. People come here and feel like they're part of a family. Fulmer was not qualified for AD, but I would never believe he was doing anything other than what he believed could get us back to winning.

VN Store

Back