Swain on the d-line

Nah. James Pearce is not Myles Garrett. Nobody is. Garrett is a generational player in the mold of Reggie White and Bruce Smith. We'll probably not see another defensive end like Myles Garrett for another decade.
Oh boy.. if he plays every snap like he’s the best in the country like he is he will become those legends.. guaranteed

That list is 🐎 💩

Welp, could be, Steele does his homework and sometimes it comes down to splitting hairs. Tennessee hasn't recruited on the level with Osu, Uga, Mich & Psu in the last 5 years, but has developed and accumulated some talent. To be ranked in the top 10 (DLINE) is major; considering where the Vols were 5 years ago.

You also think LeBron would be a bench player in the 90s I'm assuming?
There would be a bunch of problems with just dropping a modern day Lebron in the 90’s. He’d have to actually learn how to dribble, learn how to not walk, and probably would actually have to get a post game because the spacing would suck for his game. If he grew up in that time he’d still be a all time great, but if you just dropped him in the 90’s he’d ultimately be a bench rider, because he’d get called for carrying and walking every possession. And on that note the most overrated thing in sports, and has been for along time, is lebron’s ball handling

Note number two. Comparing eras is the stupidest thing ever. Complete different games and basically apples and oranges. Just let the all time greats be great
Comparing eras is stupid but you just told me why LeBron would be a bench player in the 90s. He would dominate just like he would in any other. So would Miles Garrett, Aaron Donald, and Von Miller, White would also dominate is this one.

It’s probably been a good 10-15 years since I’ve felt this excited about the D-Line. Preseason hype aside, this seems to be the consensus as a strength this year.

Most teams with a great QB and elite D-Line have a punchers chance against anybody, so if Nico is as advertised we could be in for a really fun year.

Probably the group I'm most excited to watch this season. Hopefully our front seven is as dominant as we're hoping, which will take some pressure off of our inexperienced secondary.
And will also help the offense in the early stages of the season until they get off and running.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Nah. James Pearce is not Myles Garrett. Nobody is. Garrett is a generational player in the mold of Reggie White and Bruce Smith. We'll probably not see another defensive end like Myles Garrett for another decade.
I was going to say "Get Real" then I saw who this post was from and realized that would be a waste

Just rewatched the 2022 Alabama game and while our defense had some dudes (shoutout Byron Young), we just didn’t have the horses to keep Bryce Young in check and make it a more comfortable win, which it very much could have been. A whole lot of 6 man blitzes in that game, because that’s what Banks felt he had to do.

Situation is very different this year.

lol , the only play more overrated than Garrett was Albert haynesworth. Sheesh
Haynesworth overrated? My Lord, that man DOMINATED the NFL for 2 or 3 years there at his peak. He was more dominant than ANY interior lineman that I've seen play pro football in my life. And I'm old as crap.
Now, maybe you are referring to his guaranteed contract in WA when he apparently just tapped out and took his $100M or something. Sure then.
But, as far as his peak ability (not entire career), I'd put him easily on the Rushmore of interior DLs in pro football all time. I don't have to like his ways and mannerisms to say that either.

Just rewatched the 2022 Alabama game and while our defense had some dudes (shoutout Byron Young), we just didn’t have the horses to keep Bryce Young in check and make it a more comfortable win, which it very much could have been. A whole lot of 6 man blitzes in that game, because that’s what Banks felt he had to do.

I believe Bryce Young changed Aaron Beasley's career after juking him @ 15 times in that game. Young was something special. I don't think I saw AB miss another tackle on a blitz for the rest of the season AND last year combined.

Last edited:
You also think LeBron would be a bench player in the 90s I'm assuming?

Lebron would foul out on charges in the 90’s. The NBA didn’t let stars just shoulder their way to the basket like now. We don’t know what Lebron would be if he was born 15 years earlier - some unimaginative coach may have turned him into another Dennis Rodman, since that’s the closest build he reminds me of.

Jevon Kearse IMO

If I were going to pick a defensive end out of a lineup to be the best in the league, Kearse or Clowney look the part. Guys with a little bit of a belly and great footwork - such as Mathis and Freeney are some of the best to ever rush a QB.

Reactions: perico
Our defense gave up 20.3 points per game (PPG) in 2023, which is down from 29.1 PPG in 2021 (the 2022 Vol's defense gave up 22.8 PPG). Last year's defense ranked 9th in PPG given up since 2000. The 2015 Vols squad was the last defense to give up fewer than 20.3 PPG (20.0 PPG). You have to go back to 2008 to find defenses that gave up fewer PPG than 20.0.
Say what you want, but we are getting better on defense and this year's D should be even better.
Combine this with, hopefully, improved offensive production and we should be set to win around 16 games this year.
Fyp

I believe Bryce Young changed Aaron Beasley's career after juking him @ 15 times in that game. Young was something nospecial. I don't think I saw AB miss another tackle on a blitz for the rest of the season AND last year combined.
Frustrating even two years later to watch our guys chase Young out of the pocket, dead to rights, and then let him buy time to throw every time. One of the most dynamic efforts I’ve ever seen by a college qb, especially in a losing effort.
And then there were all the missed tackles on Gibbs, but that young man isn’t a football player but a poet with his feet, so I can’t be too mad.

Being able to count on four/ five to pressure, is huge.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

Very few teams did that year, to be fair.

VN Store

Back