"Swing for the Fence" Coaching Search

kiddiedoc

Renaissance Man
Staff member
Listening to John and Josh on WNML, I borrowed the above quote. Their point was that we should go full-force for a very big name and proven winner, offering money that would make even the Bama faithful shudder. Alabama did the opposite, starting with some sexy, hot-hands, and pushing a huge sum of money at Saban after the early candidates fell through.

Numbers I heard: "$6-7 million"
Names: "Carroll, Stoops, Gruden"

Thoughts?

Pete Caroll is landing on Mars swing for the fence IMO. No way, but how sweet would it be!

I've said this a million times, but money will be the deciding factor in who we get.

If we agree to pay Pete Carroll $25 million per year, he's going to pack his stuff and move to Knoxville.

Of course, we're not going to pay that kind of money for anybody, but my point remains the same. The amount of money we poney up will be a HUGE factor in who we get.

Can we afford $5 million/year? I don't know.

id take Gruden. carroll would be ok although he is benefitting by doing what the old USC coaching legends did keep the Los Angeles recruiting gems at home and occassionally steal one like a Patrick Turner out of Tennessee. Stoops is Ok He gets the talent to het into the SEC champion rotation with Saban, Meyer, richt, Tuberville , & Miles (spurrier excluded because South Carolina is an afterthought):matrix:

People thought Alabama was out of touch with reality offering $4 million to Saban.

Do people really think there isn't enough money in the lenghty pockets of the big-name boosters to shove another million or so to the right guy? Also, don't forget the ginormous SEC TV contract.

Tradition + Facilities + Location + $6 million might just buy you anyone you want.

People thought Alabama was out of touch with reality offering $4 million to Saban.

Do people really think there isn't enough money in the lenghty pockets of the big-name boosters to shove another million or so to the right guy? Also, don't forget the ginormous SEC TV contract.

Tradition + Facilities + Location + $6 million might just buy you anyone you want.

I just don't think they'll have to throw $6 million at the guy they want.

i think they stole my idea. :)

start with a white board and proceed to list and rank order the important qualities of the next coach: ability to recruit, history of winning championships at the FBS level, etc. once the "ideal" is set on paper you open the wallet and see how close you can get to it in reality.

top of the list would likely be stoops, carroll, and gruden. they may laugh at $5-7mil and knoxville, or they may not. as my wife says, those guys have got plenty of money already, but they also have a very strong competitive drive -- what better competitive challenge than trying to bring UT to the top of the SEC?

if you factor in the potential lost revenue from 10 years of losers against, for example, the payout from several BCS bowls it makes economic sense.

im with you kiddiedoc open up the Checkbook Thunder and Haslam. How Elite we become is by how wealthy our headman will be one way or another. Either up front we pay the Right Guy a ton or someone flys under the radar like Pearl and works out and gets his huge payday later in raises and extensions

they may laugh at $5-7mil and knoxville, or they may not.

Say what you will about Knoxville, but a lot of people with plenty of money apparently think that East Tennessee is a fine place to live. Check out the newest mountain and lake communities in the area if you need evidence.

Bill Cowher will come for 3-4 million most likely. I would love to have his enthusiam and pro experience.

Listening to John and Josh on WNML, I borrowed the above quote. Their point was that we should go full-force for a very big name and proven winner, offering money that would make even the Bama faithful shudder. Alabama did the opposite, starting with some sexy, hot-hands, and pushing a huge sum of money at Saban after the early candidates fell through.

Numbers I heard: "$6-7 million"
Names: "Carroll, Stoops, Gruden"

Thoughts?

I agree with that, although I would have phrased it a bit differently. You don't dismiss a coach who oversaw arguably the most successful period in UT history to hire someone you hope will make it. You go get a big name that makes a big splash, and you pay him what it will take to get him.

I have said before that if I were making the decision, my first call would be to Butch Davis. I think he qualifies as that big hire, and I think he is much more likely to be lured to Knoxville from UNC than Stoops from OU, Carroll from LA, or Gruden from the NFL.

I can't see CPC giving up sunny cali for east tennessee. Besides, he has it made in the PAC 10. He is not used to "real" competition as far as recruiting goes. I'm sure that he would still do great but why take on the hassle if your CPC?

As for Stoops, he has proven that he can recruit in a good conference. He may like a change.

Unfortunately, most of what goes on will be "our people" talking to "their people" behind closed doors. The overtures won't be public for fear of rejection.

But I'm with KD and the guys on the animal... swing for the fence. We need a name, someone that can convince guys from across the southeast (and nation, for that matter) to come to Tennessee... and when they get here turn them into the champions that General Neyland did.

NO to Jon Gruden he blows as a coach!! Did anyone see his play calling against Dallas yesterday??? no passes over 15 yards!!! oh and I'm a Bucs fan he hasn't proven anything yet

Amen. I've been screaming this for two years. Why does everyone want Gruden or Cowher or Davis? Cowher will go back to the NFL for real money and Davis can win the ACC get to a BCS bowl frequently without nearly the pressure since UNC is a hoops school. Go get Mike Singletary 'cause the Yorks aren't smart enough to hire him past this season. Chris Peterson at Boise St. would be a great hire and wouldn't demand as much dinero, plus, he's young enough to stay around for 10 years.

Amen. I've been screaming this for two years. Why does everyone want Gruden or Cowher or Davis? Cowher will go back to the NFL for real money and Davis can win the ACC get to a BCS bowl frequently without nearly the pressure since UNC is a hoops school. Go get Mike Singletary 'cause the Yorks aren't smart enough to hire him past this season. Chris Peterson at Boise St. would be a great hire and wouldn't demand as much dinero, plus, he's young enough to stay around for 10 years.

Amen to what? You pretty much disagreed with everything that has been posted.

I like Gruden, I doubt he would come. Same with Cowher. I really like Butch Davis and Peterson. They are proven head coaches that can win and recruit. I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Muschamp or Venables, but they haven't been head coaches.

VN Store

Back