"Swing for the Fence" Coaching Search

I have not posted much,but i do agree with alot of what is being said.. I want cpf gone. He has had a good tenure up until the last few years, but his time has come. If we are going to do this thing; hiring a new coach; then we definately need to pony up the money for a well proven coach..

Amen. Before the $15 million ESPN money, top SEC schools were already raising the mark and churning out the best coaches and coordinators while netting millions in profit. Most schools view this extra money as a way to keep the Muschamps at Auburn and pay for the best coaches to stay.

We don't have to start on Gruden, lord knows there are enough threads. I personally want him, but am not betting on it by any means. However, if we wanted Gruden, we could have him. What he makes ($4.5 mill) is around the same as the current highest paid coach in CFB. What it will take to get him ($6 mill) would sound high at the time, but would be surpassed within the length of the contract by another coach. If Saban goes to the NCG or the Rose Bowl, he will hit the $5 mill mark.

Take a risk and things could get worse than they are.
Pay a little xtra, you can gurantee a sellout for the next 4 years.

Last edited:
don't forget about the new contract with ESPN. the $ will be there. we just have to find the right guy for the job...that means someone who REALLY wants it.

I say we swing for the fences (semi-realistically) by going after Cowher and Gruden. When neither of those work out, I think we should grab and up-and-comer who would truly appreciate the opportunity to be a Vol. Gary Patterson or Brian Kelly could be great options. They both seem to be outstanding coaches, and have a decent level of intensity.

Most of your big time college coaches like Stoops and Carroll have big time egos, so the opportunity to coach in what most consider to be the premiere, most competitive conference in the nation might be appeal to some who we think are unmovable.

Most of your big time college coaches like Stoops and Carroll have big time egos, so the opportunity to coach in what most consider to be the premiere, most competitive conference in the nation might be appeal to some who we think are unmovable.
Well, bob stoops and pete carroll won't be the ones. Carroll has his choice of recruit out on the west coast and a not so tough conference to bludgen every year. Stoops might be a candidate if he didn't already make a ridiculous amount of money at oklahoma. These guys are untouchable in my opinion.

NO to Jon Gruden he blows as a coach!! Did anyone see his play calling against Dallas yesterday??? no passes over 15 yards!!! oh and I'm a Bucs fan he hasn't proven anything yet

Yeah you're right! It's not like he's won a superbowl with them or anything! :rolleyes:

Does anyone understand that Bob Stoops makes 6.5 million dollars/year?

Coaches Salaries and Contracts

The REAL question has to be asked, of the TOP 50 paid coaches, whom is a product of location, and who will not be leaving for 5-6 million dollars/year.

IMO:

Stoops, Carrol, Weis, Miles, Saban, Tressel, Brown, Richt, Beamer are ALL comfortable at their programs, and their locations.

That leaves us with, Ferentz, Petrino, Tuberville, Rodriguez, Bowden, Mangino, Schiano, Belloti, Davis and Jones.

Does anyone see our program altering coach anywhere in there?

I feel we may be looking around in college and thinking to narrow. We have great recruiting assistants in Stan Drayton(RB), Latrell Scott(WR), and Dave Clawson(QB? (so far)we may have to open the box a little wider in the search.

Mike Nolan, Lane + Monte Kiffin, Sean Payton all will have to start sounding reasonable, if we are looking for a superstar.

By the way, Jon Gruden received a contract extension last year through 2011, so we would be spending a ton of money for that + Fulmer's buyout + new UT Contract = could be estimated around 30-40 million for a hiring of this magnitude (don't see that happening)

Last edited:
id take Gruden. carroll would be ok although he is benefitting by doing what the old USC coaching legends did keep the Los Angeles recruiting gems at home and occassionally steal one like a Patrick Turner out of Tennessee. Stoops is Ok He gets the talent to het into the SEC champion rotation with Saban, Meyer, richt, Tuberville , & Miles (spurrier excluded because South Carolina is an afterthought):matrix:

hahaha

VN Store

Back