Target Closing 9 Stores Due to Retail Theft

TN404

Target's (TGT) retail theft problem is now leading the retailer to close up shop in various locations around the country. Shares of Target plunged to a session low on the news, falling nearly 2%.

Yahoo Finance's Brooke Dipalma reports:

On Tuesday the big box retailer announced plans to close nine stores, effective Oct. 21.

"We cannot continue operating these stores because theft and organized retail crime are threatening the safety of our team and guests, and contributing to unsustainable business performance," the company said in a statement.

The stores set to close include one in Harlem, New York; two in Seattle, Washington; three near San Francisco and Oakland, California; and three in Portland, Oregon. All "eligible" employees will be offered the opportunity to transfer to other Target locations, the company said.

The decision to close stores came after the company reported that inventory shrinkage — mostly the theft of merchandise — would cut profits by $500 million this year. In 2022, profits took a $700 million hit from inventory shrinkage.

"Shrink in the second quarter remained consistent with our expectations but well above the sustainable level where we expect to operate over time," Target CEO Brian Cornell said in the company's second quarter earnings call.

Target added it "invested heavily in strategies to prevent and stop theft and organized retail crime in our stores" prior to closing stores, including by adding more security to stores, using third-party security guard services, and implementing "theft-deterrent" tools across our business.

We didn't have Internet 30 years ago. Social media and news' websites make it seem much worse
These herd smash and grabs weren't going on 30 years ago to the extent it is today. You rarely saw maybe two or three people try this in retail stores. This is what happens when people know laws won't be enforced and DA's won't prosecute.

These herd smash and grabs weren't going on 30 years ago to the extent it is today. You rarely saw maybe two or three people try this in retail stores. This is what happens when people know laws won't be enforced and DA's won't prosecute.
the problem is going to be that people are going to start taking things into their own hands.

the problem is going to be that people are going to start taking things into their own hands.
I don't necessarily see that as a problem. A lot of people need to get familiar with the FAFO principle. Of course, then the ones trying to protect their businesses and own life will be vilified by the left and prosecuted by the same system that didn't stop all this to begin with.

This is a direct attack on inner city trans people. Where will they purchase their tucking swimsuits without a local Target?
Solid take.

On Luther’s continuum I put this at a 81.6% attack directly on the inner city trans community. The solution is to make sure Trump doesn’t get re-elected.

I would also venture to say I doubt you see a rural DG in a looting scenario.
Idk, when I was at the beach back in June I had to stop at one out on this rural beach highway to get some things. I sure felt like I was looting that place with all the shhhhtuff I walked out of there with for next to nothing.

VN Store

Back