Teams that played Oregon closer than us

I bet all of those tams had at least one QB who could get the ball to receivers, receivers who could run routes and catch the ball, a running back that could hit the holes and run north & south, and no walk-ons in the first 22.

You're talking about programs that rarely get close to top-30 in recruiting that did better against Oregon than we did. Maybe it's because their coaches put the players in a position to succeed more than ours did?

Reactions: 2 people
The games presented by the OP do not "prove" the point since they were played in a different season by different players.

That said, Jones and his staff did lay an egg Saturday. That was a poorly coached game. Nicholl's state statistically put up about as good of a fight as UT did.

Reactions: 1 person
All of the following teams with much less talent than ours did better against Chip Kelly coached Oregon teams running the same scheme, often with more talent than this Oregon team.

Arkansas State
Fresno State
Washington State (3 different times)
Oregon State (4 different times)
Purdue
Utah

Even Derek Dooley did better against them than we did yesterday.

You gotta know that Oregon was extra keyed up for us because we are from the SEC and they wanted to make a statement against the SEC.

Oregon fans are typically very informed, but this opinion above is not reflective thereof, though it is common for fans with a successful team to imagine their team more talented than ever before. Oregon fans in 2010 were also predicting Darron Thomas would be an NFL QB, and that turned out a bit rash, despite his great success in their system.

First, several of the top prospects on this Oregon roster were contributors to the 2010 team.

Second, that Oregon roster actually had two players go in the first day of the draft. In fact, all of the skill players, save the QB, would get NFL paychecks, including both running backs (James & Barner), the top three wideouts (Maehl, Davis & Tuinei), the top tight end (Paulson), as well as two of the OL (Asper & Weems). Just read the Tennessee box score from the 2010 game, and you'll see an Oregon player in the league. I don't think you have the same 1-2 punch at RB as the 2010 roster, and I don't think your WR/TE depth, without Lyerla, is as good. The best wideout, Huff, was also a contributor on the 2010 team.

Third, I don't think this Oregon defense is as good talent wise as the 2010 unit, though time will tell. That 2010 unit produced 10 players off the 2-deep to get NFL paychecks. Others on their roster, like Cliff Harris, may have made the league without their pot problems, and several from the roster are current NFL prospects on this team.

Obviously, time will tell.

I meant Oregon players that were drafted following that year, in 2010.

And sorry, but you're way off on this one. All you have to do is look at recruiting classes, NFL prospects, and the physical make up of this team. 2010 was a scrappy bunch who rode a wave of momentum and luck to the title game. I never thought Darron Thomas would be an NFL player - too skinny, too slow, too long of a throwing motion, and not a big enough range of throws.

This 2013 team is stacked with not just NFL talent, but top end NFL talent. As I said, if Mariota declares, you could see Mariota, Olumu, and Lyerla drafted in the first round alone.

And again, it's an eye test. This roster is loaded with physical specimens. It's more experienced, more entrenched in the "Oregon Way," and way more talented. I was always amazed that the 2010 team went undefeated and made the title. I would be shocked if that DIDN'T happen this year. I'm not guaranteeing that this team outperform 2010 in that they win the title. Too many factors play into being undefeated outside of pure talent. But I promise you that this team has considerably more top-end talent - the most that Oregon has ever had. Our running backs might have been better in 2011 with James and Barner. Our Dline might have been better in 2005 with Ngata, Olshansky, and Long. Our wide receivers might have been better in 2001 with Howry and Parker.

But as a two deep unit, top to bottom, on both sides, this team is more talented than any Oregon team in history. No argument.

VN Store

Back