Ten Thoughts (Middle of camp edition)

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee Saturday night."
Staff member
We are less than three weeks away till the beauty of Big Orange Football gets going. We are in the middle of camp, and here are some my thoughts going into the season opener.

1. It's nice to read that the wide receivers are comign along. Croom and North are going to be solid targets, and I still really like Ryan Jenkins. Pig Howard has had an up and down camp, but it's still early. Honestly, I'm not too worried about the wide receivers other than blocking. Hopefully Jones and Azzanni will get this off and running. The wide outs were poor in blocking last year which was a reason for a lack of big runs. UT needs big plays from its running game this season in order to keep defenses honest.

2. It's been interesting to here what some coaches and writers are saying about Dan McCullers and him being the key to the season (which Butch Jones basically said during camp). I no doubt believe in his talent, but I'm not sure if he has the raw ability to make big plays. Also, can he play on obvious passing downs and create a pass rush? Either way, UT needs a dominant run stopper and McCullers has that ability. Getting UT's D in third and longs will be important and McCullers ability to stop the run will be huge.

3. However, I think the two most important people on defense are Jacques Smith and Brian Randolph. It's going to be a long season at cornerback. UT doesn't have the horses to compete there. Randolph is going to have make plays and make correct reads in order for the defense to be successful. He will be the guy to protect the back end and shut down 15 yard+ part of the field. Jacques Smith is going to have be a dominant pass rusher. Sadly, his hand/wrist is going to keep him out possibly for the first two games and UT needs him to have a big year in order to help the secondary. I honestly can't remember the last time UT had a good pass rush. The pass rush will be paramount to helping out the secondary.

4. I like what I'm hearing from the backups at offensive line, but still concerned also. Dylan Weisman is going to get some playing time this year and will be very helpful at guard this year. Mack Crowder has had a solid camp. Can somebody step up at tackle? UT could be in trouble if Richardson or James goes down with the lack of experience. Austin Sanders or Brett Kendrick need to step up and be that third tackle.

5. Brent Brewer is going to be an interesting player to watch. If you remember at South Carolina former LB D.J. Swearinger and how versatile he was at what Spurrier and Co. call the "SPUR" position. Basically a hybrid linebacker/safety that helps in zone coverages and also can play TE's in man coverage, while being able to contain the run, especially the outside. Brewer definitely has good run stopping ability and plays decent in zone coverage. Swearinger was good at helping in third and medium distances where he can watch for draws and screens, but still maintain good pass coverage. I look for Brewer to do the same. He has good enough instincts I believe he can handle that spot. He will also be the guy to handle spy assignments on mobile QB's like Mariota and Driskel.

6. Look for Butch Jones and Mike Bajakian to use the RB's in a lot of pass situations. Neal and Lane both have good hands and run solid enough routes to be potent in the passing game. In watching some Cincinnati games, they like to run HB screens with their quick offensive line, and I bet they will use that this year, especially with a new QB. The key will be is their vision and the wide receivers committed to blocking. You have to be patient and make the right reads when you get the ball, something Lane and Neal have had problems with. The wide receivers also must be able to handle their blocks initially so they help create space.

7. I love Curt Maggitt and his abilities, but he has not been used properly at UT. He is definitely an every down player, but I want to see him get after the QB more in some stunt and weak side blitzes. Remember, there were some analysts who thought he would become a DE at the college level. Hopefully he still has that really quick first step after the knee, but he's a guy you can play around with and create havoc in the backfield. John Janacek needs to use him as an X-Factor.

8. Mike Bakanjian will have to adapt with Worley. Cincinnati liked using the play action to run deep routes and make big plays. Worley is not that kind of quarterback. He's a dink-and-dunk accurate passer. There is nothing wrong with that, but it'll be interesting to see what kind of passing routes they use this year. I would imagine hitches, slants, and short ins/out will be featured, but can Worley throw the deep post and comebacks to keep safeties back and from playing inside the box. Worley must be able to make these throws. I'm not sure he can though from just seeing him two years ago. Yet it's been awhile and hopefully he's improved in that department.

9. The coaches know more than me, but as I've said before, I think Byron Moore getting reps at CB can be beneficial. He has decent man skills and good size to play the position, and he's probably the third best defensive back on the team. Tennessee needs to get the best talent on the field, and I would love to see Janacek run an interesting formation where he runs a 4-2-5 or 3-3-5 where all three safeties are on the field in passing situations. I think that would work well. Having Moore and Randolph in two deep coverages on third and longs would be a great way to help the defense out with both players having good ability to read the quarterback on deep passing routes. That would help alleviate the corners, and also the pass rush having so much pressure on them, and you can keep things in front of you on those 3rd downs with McNeil coveingr the middle of the field, looking something like a hybrid/ultra fast Cover 2.

10. Eighteen days to go, and as Coach Jones said, this is the most important part of camp where players will set themselves apart and where systems get implemented. It's very important for the offense to find a good tempo and get in the right sets, and for the defense to understand their assignment and coverage on plays. I'm getting excited and it's going to be fun year to watch the Vols.

Go Vols!!! :hi:

Reactions: 15 people
If I have learnt anything the past several off-seasons, it is to not take fall camp reports (hype) seriously.

Gameday can't get here fast enough.

Nice analysis. So many question marks make this a tough season to predict. We will surely see just how well these coaches can perform in dire straits. Even modest success would give me serious hope for the future.

We are less than three weeks away till the beauty of Big Orange Football gets going. We are in the middle of camp, and here are some my thoughts going into the season opener.

1. It's nice to read that the wide receivers are comign along. Croom and North are going to be solid targets, and I still really like Ryan Jenkins. Pig Howard has had an up and down camp, but it's still early. Honestly, I'm not too worried about the wide receivers other than blocking. Hopefully Jones and Azzanni will get this off and running. The wide outs were poor in blocking last year which was a reason for a lack of big runs. UT needs big plays from its running game this season in order to keep defenses honest.

2. It's been interesting to here what some coaches and writers are saying about Dan McCullers and him being the key to the season (which Butch Jones basically said during camp). I no doubt believe in his talent, but I'm not sure if he has the raw ability to make big plays. Also, can he play on obvious passing downs and create a pass rush? Either way, UT needs a dominant run stopper and McCullers has that ability. Getting UT's D in third and longs will be important and McCullers ability to stop the run will be huge.

3. However, I think the two most important people on defense are Jacques Smith and Brian Randolph. It's going to be a long season at cornerback. UT doesn't have the horses to compete there. Randolph is going to have make plays and make correct reads in order for the defense to be successful. He will be the guy to protect the back end and shut down 15 yard+ part of the field. Jacques Smith is going to have be a dominant pass rusher. Sadly, his hand/wrist is going to keep him out possibly for the first two games and UT needs him to have a big year in order to help the secondary. I honestly can't remember the last time UT had a good pass rush. The pass rush will be paramount to helping out the secondary.

4. I like what I'm hearing from the backups at offensive line, but still concerned also. Dylan Weisman is going to get some playing time this year and will be very helpful at guard this year. Mack Crowder has had a solid camp. Can somebody step up at tackle? UT could be in trouble if Richardson or James goes down with the lack of experience. Austin Sanders or Brett Kendrick need to step up and be that third tackle.

5. Brent Brewer is going to be an interesting player to watch. If you remember at South Carolina former LB D.J. Swearinger and how versatile he was at what Spurrier and Co. call the "SPUR" position. Basically a hybrid linebacker/safety that helps in zone coverages and also can play TE's in man coverage, while being able to contain the run, especially the outside. Brewer definitely has good run stopping ability and plays decent in zone coverage. Swearinger was good at helping in third and medium distances where he can watch for draws and screens, but still maintain good pass coverage. I look for Brewer to do the same. He has good enough instincts I believe he can handle that spot. He will also be the guy to handle spy assignments on mobile QB's like Mariota and Driskel.

6. Look for Butch Jones and Mike Bajakian to use the RB's in a lot of pass situations. Neal and Lane both have good hands and run solid enough routes to be potent in the passing game. In watching some Cincinnati games, they like to run HB screens with their quick offensive line, and I bet they will use that this year, especially with a new QB. The key will be is their vision and the wide receivers committed to blocking. You have to be patient and make the right reads when you get the ball, something Lane and Neal have had problems with. The wide receivers also must be able to handle their blocks initially so they help create space.

7. I love Curt Maggitt and his abilities, but he has not been used properly at UT. He is definitely an every down player, but I want to see him get after the QB more in some stunt and weak side blitzes. Remember, there were some analysts who thought he would become a DE at the college level. Hopefully he still has that really quick first step after the knee, but he's a guy you can play around with and create havoc in the backfield. John Janacek needs to use him as an X-Factor.

8. Mike Bakanjian will have to adapt with Worley. Cincinnati liked using the play action to run deep routes and make big plays. Worley is not that kind of quarterback. He's a dink-and-dunk accurate passer. There is nothing wrong with that, but it'll be interesting to see what kind of passing routes they use this year. I would imagine hitches, slants, and short ins/out will be featured, but can Worley throw the deep post and comebacks to keep safeties back and from playing inside the box. Worley must be able to make these throws. I'm not sure he can though from just seeing him two years ago. Yet it's been awhile and hopefully he's improved in that department.

9. The coaches know more than me, but as I've said before, I think Byron Moore getting reps at CB can be beneficial. He has decent man skills and good size to play the position, and he's probably the third best defensive back on the team. Tennessee needs to get the best talent on the field, and I would love to see Janacek run an interesting formation where he runs a 4-2-5 or 3-3-5 where all three safeties are on the field in passing situations. I think that would work well. Having Moore and Randolph in two deep coverages on third and longs would be a great way to help the defense out with both players having good ability to read the quarterback on deep passing routes. That would help alleviate the corners, and also the pass rush having so much pressure on them, and you can keep things in front of you on those 3rd downs with McNeil coveingr the middle of the field, looking something like a hybrid/ultra fast Cover 2.

10. Eighteen days to go, and as Coach Jones said, this is the most important part of camp where players will set themselves apart and where systems get implemented. It's very important for the offense to find a good tempo and get in the right sets, and for the defense to understand their assignment and coverage on plays. I'm getting excited and it's going to be fun year to watch the Vols.

J. Smith has been average for three yrs. Why do think this yr. will be any different? Hope I'm wrong; a pass rush is a DB's best friend.

Reactions: 3 people
J. Smith has been average for three yrs. Why do think this yr. will be any different? Hope I'm wrong; a pass rush is a DB's best friend.

He had a hard time scratching DE in his first 2 and then was played wildly out of position as WLB in the 3-4 last year.

In fact, everyone on the field was played out of position.

Reactions: 1 person
I think our offense and defense will be middle of the pack in the SEC. Great coaching and key games at home (Auburn, Vandy) gets us to 7 wins.

Thanks for using the word "dominant" correctly... Good analysis ....

A freshman will emerge to challenge Worley for the starting QB spot. Both Dobbs and Fergie are making strides to challenge him.

On McCullers, I disagree with your take on him. He has the raw talent and ability. The issue is he has a teddy bear personality. I had a ham handed pal like this. Huge guy, hands the size of hams. The nicest guy you'd ever meet. Soft spoken if he said anything at all. Very polite, willing to help anyone, and just a big teddy bear. Never really saw him mad except once and even then he just left instead of fighting. You knew if he made a fist with those hams and hit you, you wouldn't need a doctor, rather a priest to read your last rites. But he just wasn't a fighter. Now, by all accounts, Dan doesn't have what coaches call a mean streak but has been asked him for it. Clowney has it and switches it on during games and off afterwards. The thing with Dan, is that I think he's the kind of human being we should all be, slow to anger and just a plain all around decent. But on the field we a "Hulk smash" guy. Hopefully, he doesn't get changed into a Ray Lewis.

My concern at this point is that none of the QB's seem to be separating themselves. At least not in the sense that no one has decided to be the "Alpha" and take on that leadership role. This is the most troubling thing IMO. In this league, so goes your QB, so goes your season.

I hope we don't have to see any of the freshman OL this year. The guys behind the first team are mostly redshirt sophomores. I hope they can do well this year because they will certainly be needed next year.

My concern at this point is that none of the QB's seem to be separating themselves. At least not in the sense that no one has decided to be the "Alpha" and take on that leadership role. This is the most troubling thing IMO. In this league, so goes your QB, so goes your season.

Worley was alpha his red shirt year. He called team meetings, and called in the off field plays. We are in better shape than many think at QB. People concentrate too much on Worley's 2 big ints, but fail to remember his %. He also played a system in HS that was similer in style and timing s CBJ system. He put up gaudy numbers in HS, I think there is potential there to shock some defenses.
The concern for me is WR, there is talent, but not depth, and experience. This normally results in turnovers. I hope they can get past that quickly, and finish their development early.
That is all, GBO

Worley was alpha his red shirt year. He called team meetings, and called in the off field plays. We are in better shape than many think at QB. People concentrate too much on Worley's 2 big ints, but fail to remember his %. He also played a system in HS that was similer in style and timing s CBJ system. He put up gaudy numbers in HS, I think there is potential there to shock some defenses.
The concern for me is WR, there is talent, but not depth, and experience. This normally results in turnovers. I hope they can get past that quickly, and finish their development early.
That is all, GBO

You will also get interceptions because someone ran the wrong route. It happens with young WR's...

A freshman will emerge to challenge Worley for the starting QB spot. Both Dobbs and Fergie are making strides to challenge him.

One of two things would have to happen for us to see a freshman starting at qb....injury or the season tanked.

Nice analysis. So many question marks make this a tough season to predict. We will surely see just how well these coaches can perform in dire straits. Even modest success would give me serious hope for the future.

Modest success sets the bar too low for me, and is too ambiguous. We at least need to get to some kind of bowl game, all these coaches, athletic directors etc. make the big bucks so regardless of the circumstances if you cannot have a 50% win record (especially with four much lesser opponents on the schedule) and a bowl game you are a failure. Plain and simple.

That is all, GBO

Worley didn't have a red shirt year. He played as a true freshman when Bray was hurt and Simms couldn't get it done. I do agree about the systems being similar. I recall his senior year highlight film. He had some really good receivers as many short to mid range passes were broken for TD's by the receivers. Hopefully, our young WR's wil mature quickly.

The problem with this thread is that it makes the absolute assumption that Worley will be the QB. The truth of the matter is (and very few posters here understand this) is that the starting QB will be the one who makes the fewest mental errors in the game and not the ones who could potentially put together the most wins. The reasoning is quite simple. Nothing will destroy what CBJ is trying to accomplish faster than a plethora of those moments where the team puts together three solid plays in a row and then the QB accomplishes the 'Big-Oh No!'. You know--like when all the air is sucked out of the stadium--the fans at home are attacking their televisions in horror--(think Simms). These moments will destroy the dream faster than well executed losses will. Nobody expects championships this year so losses will smart but they will not destroy. Therefore the QB at the end of Spring camp will be he that holds his mental faculties together the best. Nothing else will count.

Modest success sets the bar too low for me, and is too ambiguous. We at least need to get to some kind of bowl game, all these coaches, athletic directors etc. make the big bucks so regardless of the circumstances if you cannot have a 50% win record (especially with four much lesser opponents on the schedule) and a bowl game you are a failure. Plain and simple.

I agree with this 100%! Of course, championships should be the goal but for us, right now, that is a long term goal. The short term goal (as in this season) needs to be to get bowl eligible and imo actually WIN a bowl! Getting to a bowl would be great but personally I think actually winning a bowl is crucial in terms of continuing momentum and showing recruits that we are headed in the right direction!

Worley's arm is stronger than the OP seems to think. He isn't going to do it like Bray but can throw deep. My bigger concern watching him in practice video is that he drops the ball before delivering. He almost winds up a little. He is accurate. I think he will be successful but Simms' downfall was a slow delivery. If that hitch inhibits Worely then it could open the door for Peterman. OTOH, the D Wuerfful had the most messed up and slow looking delivery I have ever seen... and a weak arm. He did fine.

With Peterman, I wonder about his "fine" accuracy and decision making. Everything else seems to be there. He has good athleticism and arm strength. All four QB's seem to be more solid between the ears right now than Bray ever was or is likely to become.

For all the nice words, I struggle to believe that either of the freshmen can

The concern for me is WR, there is talent, but not depth, and experience.

I agree on Worley and the obvious inexperience of the WR. I do think there are plenty of WR's who have the tallent to perform at a high level;

-Harris
-Howard
-Jenkins
-Bowles
-North
-Croom
-Young
-Smith
-Blanc
-Carter

Everybody wanted Croom, Bowles, and North! Time for them to shine