Ten Thoughts (The Western Kentucky Postgame Report)

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee Saturday night."
Staff member
Hey guys. Sorry this is late, had to work and wait on watchespn.com to put this up. Then I had dinner during the middle of the replay. Anyways, let's get this going.

1. Was seven turnovers fluky and won't happen for 25 years? Yes. Did UT help create some of those turnovers? Yes. Did UT do a good job of making sure they capitalized on said turnovers? Yes. So overall, while somewhat fluky, you can't penalize UT for doing a good job overall on the turnover game. And UT only had one turnover. Is that the main reason UT won? Yes. But I don't believe that's a bad thing.

2. Justin Worley is not an SEC quarterback right now. The offense just isn't in full rhythm. I know what Butch wants to do. Set up the run, go deep on play action. Justin isn't that kind of QB. He also gets happy feet under duress and he's not setting his feet. He has to play better for UT to have a good year.

3. The linebackers are not doing their job in the pass game. They are too passive in their zones, and just like last year, they are not reacting quickly. I don't like how open the middle of the field was. Too many easy crossing routes.

4. However, I am liking the interior pass rush. They were in Doughty's face and forced bad passes and for him to be uncomfortable. I also thought on in between the guards play, they held their own. I'd like to see more block shedding and more tackles for loss, but overall nice game.

5. The defensive ends are crashing in too much on run plays and there was too many cutback lanes for WKU. UT needs to seal the edge and funnel those runs inside where the linebackers can make the play.

6. Now, let's get to some good. I love the aggressiveness from the defensive backs. Brian Randolph doesn't make that pick in the endzone last year, and they read pass plays well. I really liked how aggressive Sutton was and he's doing really well. McNeil played sideline-to-sideline as the protector.

7. Travis Stephens offensive player of the game: Marlin Lane. I love how he runs. Just very aggressive, one cut and go. He puts his shoulder down and gets positive yards every play, even with the line not having their best game. I want him to get 20 carries a game and see what else he can do. Neal is a solid back too, and UT has a nice 1-2 punch.

8. Al Wilson defensive player of the game: Brian Randolph. Eight tackles, two picks. WKU had zero huge pass plays and he's doing a great job of playing both up front in the middle of the field and covering the back end. He looks 100% from his knee injury and glad he's back.

9. Pig Howard needs to get the ball more. Run more screens for him, some slants, etc. He's explosive and I love his running style. Yes he can make guys miss, but he only does it when he has too. He also gives Worley a security blanket he can throw too when nothing is there and Howard is the guy that can make a two yard gain into a first down.

10. How many of you would have taken a 52-20 score Friday night? Okay, me too. I'm happy with the win. UT isn't where they need to be, and no team is. There are some concerns, but positives too. The defense is aggressive (to a fault), but the run game had 240 yards and Lane continues to get better. Oregon will be a tough game, but a good test of where this team is.

Go Vols!!! :hi:

Last edited:
Reactions: 23 people
Hard for Randolph to make that pick last year when he was on crutches and the sidelines.........

Jus' Sayin'........

GBO

On point, Z.

How many hours does Butch spend watching the Stanford - Oregon game this week?

The man has his work cut out for him.

Reactions: 1 person
Hard for Randolph to make that pick last year when he was on crutches and the sidelines.........

Jus' Sayin'........

GBO

Well, he did play three games before the injury.

Hey guys. Sorry this is late, had to work and wait on watchespn.com to put this up. Then I had dinner during the middle of the replay. Anyways, let's get this going.

1. Was seven turnovers fluky and won't happen for 25 years? Yes. Did UT help create some of those turnovers? Yes. Did UT do a good job of making sure they capitalized on said turnovers? Yes. So overall, while somewhat fluky, you can't penalize UT for doing a good job overall on the turnover game. And UT only had one turnover. Is that the main reason UT won? Yes. But I don't believe that's a bad thing.

2. Justin Worley is not an SEC quarterback right now. The offense just isn't in full rhythm. I know what Butch wants to do. Set up the run, go deep on play action. Justin isn't that kind of QB. He also gets happy feet under duress and he's not setting his feet. He has to play better for UT to have a good year.

3. The linebackers are not doing their job in the pass game. They are too passive in their zones, and just like last year, they are not reacting quickly. I don't like how open the middle of the field was. Too many easy crossing routes.

4. However, I am liking the interior pass rush. They were in Doughty's face and forced bad passes and for him to be uncomfortable. I also thought on in between the guards play, they held their own. I'd like to see more block shedding and more tackles for loss, but overall nice game.

5. The defensive ends are crashing in too much on run plays and there was too many cutback lanes for WKU. UT needs to seal the edge and funnel those runs inside where the linebackers can make the play.

6. Now, let's get to some good. I love the aggressiveness from the defensive backs. Brian Randolph doesn't make that pick in the endzone last year, and they read pass plays well. I really liked how aggressive Sutton was and he's doing really well. McNeil played sideline-to-sideline as the protector.

7. Travis Stephens offensive player of the game: Marlin Lane. I love how he runs. Just very aggressive, one cut and go. He puts his shoulder down and gets positive yards every play, even with the line not having their best game. I want him to get 20 carries a game and see what else he can do. Neal is a solid back too, and UT has a nice 1-2 punch.

8. Al Wilson defensive player of the game: Brian Randolph. Eight tackles, two picks. WKU had zero huge pass plays and he's doing a great job of playing both up front in the middle of the field and covering the back end. He looks 100% from his knee injury and glad he's back.

9. Pig Howard needs to get the ball more. Run more screens for him, some slants, etc. He's explosive and I love his running style. Yes he can make guys miss, but he only does it when he has too. He also gives Worley a security blanket he can throw too when nothing is there and Howard is the guy that can make a two yard gain into a first down.

10. How many of you would have taken a 52-20 score Friday night? Okay, me too. I'm happy with the win. UT isn't where they need to be, and no team is. There are some concerns, but positives too. The defense is aggressive (to a fault), but the run game had 240 yards and Lane continues to get better. Oregon will be a tough game, but a good test of where this team is.

Go Vols!!! :hi:

GREAT ANALYSIS!!!

I especially like point #3. AJ is not tight enough on man-to-man coverage and was too deep on a couple of 3rd down zone coverages that gave up down conversions. Our LBs need to cover the backs swinging out. I believe the return play of Maggitt will be important.

I think you give WKU a little too much credit in saying the turnovers are why we won.

what's wrong with Jason Croom's hands????? wow. had he hung on to that ball, he would've easily scored. Worley???? badly underthrew Marquez, kudos to Mr.North for the spectacular catch that he made!!!! Wish one of the Freshmen were ready at QB!!!!

Reactions: 4 people
Unlike past years, I expect some significant improvement in pretty much all these areas over the next week and especially over the rest of the season. Next week's game against Oregon will give us a good look at where we are (as you said). It'll be a great challenge for this team and for the coaching staff.

I am looking forward to seeing how our guys rise to the occassion next Saturday.

Reactions: 4 people
I wish we had better play at the QB position, Worley badly underthrew Marquez, kudos to Mr. North upon making an spectacular catch!!!! What's wrong with Jason Croom's hands? Overall looking forward to the challenge with the Ducks, next week!

So, you didn't watch the game?

You can't say what happens if the TOs don't happen. You see how TN outplayed them in the second half, I have no reason to believe that TN doesn't play harder if the score was closer in the first half. I think UT wins by 17+ even without their string of miscues in the first qtr.

Reactions: 2 people
You can't say what happens if the TOs don't happen. You see how TN outplayed them in the second half, I have no reason to believe that TN doesn't play harder if the score was closer in the first half. I think UT wins by 17+ even without their string of miscues in the first qtr.

I tend to agree.

* Play for and make the breaks and when one comes your way - SCORE

Enjoyed the write up Z.

So, you didn't watch the game?

Did you see what happened in the 2nd half largely unaided by turnovers? Who's to say how many points WKU would have scored or we would have scored without turnovers?

I think you give WKU a little too much credit in saying the turnovers are why we won.

Was just about to post this. It may be the reason we won by the margin we did, but I don't think the turnovers are why we won.

Good post ZJC.

Reactions: 2 people
It always amazes me how quiet it is at my parents' house. They live close by off Antioch Church Road.

I think we've had this discussion before if I remember correctly about Friendsville.

Yup, it's nice to be able to go out, smoke a cigar, and just listen to nature with my music in the background with annoying anyone or hearing the city.

Well I just got home from taking my family to the game. I agree with the op. Justin had a pick earlier in the game that was called back because of a d-penalty. He threw that ball up for grabs as well. His throws seemed to float a lot more than they should. I hope the offense gets it in gear this week, they were flat and the line did more laying on people than pushing people around. In the end we pulled away due to superior talent and conditioning but that won't fly the rest of the season. It looked like UT was holding back in the 2nd quarter on offense. They were much crisper in the first two drives of the second half.

VN Store

Back