Ten Years Ago 10-3 (6-2) with Three Huge Road Wins!

Woodstock, you and Boca seem to have an uncanny knack for finding the cloud in every silver lining. I'll bet y'all are a lot of fun to hang out with.:no:

I sort of liked the 2004 team better. They beat Texas A&M 38-7 in the Cotton Bowl. I was pissed off at the Peach Bowl and that colored My opinion of the 2003 season.

Reactions: 1 person
I sort of liked the 2004 team better. They beat Texas A&M 38-7 in the Cotton Bowl. I was pissed off at the Peach Bowl and that colored My opinion of the 2003 season.

Unfortunately, I was at both of those ill fated Peach Bowls. Never seen fans so happy about winning the Peach Bowl as the Clemson and Maryland fans were.

To think we used to understand how the players couldn't get up for a Peach Bowl game because it was such a let down......

Unfortunately, I was at both of those ill fated Peach Bowls. Never seen fans so happy about winning the Peach Bowl as the Clemson and Maryland fans were.

To think we used to understand how the players couldn't get up for a Peach Bowl game because it was such a let down......

Clemson fans at work let Me have it after that game:banghead2:

That was my freshman year at UT! IIRC, that win in the swamp was fueled by a last second Hail Mary TD just before halftime. What a great game!

My goodness, bama fans truly are the worst. Any time you bring up a win against them its "well, huh, we werent very good then" In that case, I dont guess their last 4 wins against us count. A horrible breed of people.

The OP described that win as a "huge" road win. Maybe you and the OP feel like any win against Bama counts as a "huge" win, and that's fine if you feel that way. It's kinda flattering.

To your point, I don't consider any of the 6 wins in the current streak to be "huge" wins as the Tennessee teams we beat simply weren't that good. '09 was a good win, as that game almost cost us the national title, but beating a team that finished 7-6 simply doesn't feel "huge" to me.

But I'm not telling you how to feel.

I was front row of the end zone at the bama game. Greatest football experience of my life. the missed field goal by bama at the end of regulation, the 4th and 19 conversion, Clauson's laying out for the goal line. btw as much as I hate the whole state of alabama I got to say their fans on that day(and the 5-6 other games I've seen down there) were extremely gracious. Thanks for making me remember this. Gonna make the whole day better.

Me too Molten.

Hard to describe how we felt after that game. Exausted, elated, awed, and totally emotionally spent. Surprised the players, Vols and bammers alike, could even walk afterward.

Agree with ya on our bamer hosts too. Very gracious and just like us could barely believe the incredible game we just witnessed.

Pretty sure none of them (the gracious ones) ever post on VN.

Brianlsanders, Alabama fans have enjoyed a LOT of perfect seasons. One that they don't like to discuss occurred in 1955, when they finished 0-10-0 and scored only 48 points all year. That team was coached by Bear Bryant's immediate predecessor, Jennings B. Whitworth (1955-1957), who amassed an overall record of 4-24-2 (.166) and a conference mark of 3-18-1 (.159). Alabama teams under his direction also compiled 17 consecutive losses (from 11/13/54 - 10/20/56), and 19 consecutive games without a victory (10/30/54-10/20/56). Included within that streak were back-to-back losses to the Commodes (21-6 and 32-7) and Tennessee (20-0 and 24-0). During that 19-game span, Alabama was shut out NINE times. See
Alabama Historical Scores.

Let's hope that Tennessee's transformation under Butch's leadership is almost as dramatic as that which 'bama achieved in the years immediately after the darkest period in their program's history.

Reactions: 5 people
Nice wins on the road, but UF and Bama weren't very good. South Carolina sucked back then. However, the Miami win was unexpected. Outstanding defensive performance.

Pretty much this, though winning at Florida is always a big deal for us. The Alabama game was a classic albeit Bama was pretty awful that year. The Miami game was definitely huge, it knocked them out of the NC picture.

Any 5OT win, against one of your biggest rivals, in their house, is a huge win.

I would take the stance that a 10-3 team shouldn't need 5 OTs the knock off a 4-9 team, no matter who or where. But I understand if you disagree. It was a great game.

Brianlsanders, Alabama fans have enjoyed a LOT of perfect seasons. One that they don't like to discuss occurred in 1955, when they finished 0-10-0 and scored only 48 points all year. That team was coached by Bear Bryant's immediate predecessor, Jennings B. Whitworth (1955-1957), who amassed an overall record of 4-24-2 (.166) and a conference mark of 3-18-1 (.159). Alabama teams under his direction also compiled 17 consecutive losses (from 11/13/54 - 10/20/56), and 19 consecutive games without a victory (10/30/54-10/20/56). Included within that streak were back-to-back losses to the Commodes (21-6 and 32-7) and Tennessee (20-0 and 24-0). During that 19-game span, Alabama was shut out NINE times. See
Alabama Historical Scores.

"Ears" Whitworth began his Alabama tenure by benching 2 year starting QB/DB Bart Starr in favor of starting a "youth movement". Nothing that followed should have surprised anyone.

The OP described that win as a "huge" road win. Maybe you and the OP feel like any win against Bama counts as a "huge" win, and that's fine if you feel that way. It's kinda flattering.

To your point, I don't consider any of the 6 wins in the current streak to be "huge" wins as the Tennessee teams we beat simply weren't that good. '09 was a good win, as that game almost cost us the national title, but beating a team that finished 7-6 simply doesn't feel "huge" to me.

But I'm not telling you how to feel.

Bama sure acted like it was a huge win in 09 when they won by 2 points at home against a down TN team. Just sayin

Bama sure acted like it was a huge win in 09 when they won by 2 points at home against a down TN team. Just sayin

Haven't we passed the point where we can call '09 a "down year" considering that it's our best season in the past 5 years and probably won't be bettered for at least a year or two more? Having said that, Bama should have rolled UT that day.

Woodstock, you and Boca seem to have an uncanny knack for finding the cloud in every silver lining. I'll bet y'all are a lot of fun to hang out with.:no:

I love to have a good time.

However, the bottom line is UF and Bama weren't very good that year. You want to talk about a schedule set up to make a run at the NC, that was it. UT stumbled against the 2 toughest conference teams they played (UGA and Auburn).

Haven't we passed the point where we can call '09 a "down year" considering that it's our best season in the past 5 years and probably won't be bettered for at least a year or two more? Having said that, Bama should have rolled UT that day.

7-5 is a down year for TN football IMO. Of course the Dooley years make 7-5 look pretty good.

"Ears" Whitworth began his Alabama tenure by benching 2 year starting QB/DB Bart Starr in favor of starting a "youth movement". Nothing that followed should have surprised anyone.

What, precisely, is your point? Are you suggesting that the Whitworth era should simply be dismissed from the historical record on the grounds of insanity or blatant stupidity?

is this supposed to uplift and inspire because it shows what's possible?

or

is this supposed to depress and discourage because it took place 10 years ago?

Then UT gets pounded by a 6-6 Clemson team in the Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl

Not sure but Woodstock pretty much sucked the air right out of this thread

VN Store

Back