Tennessee All-Time Offense vs. Tennessee All-Time Defense

Just reading the names of all those great players makes me go OMG. I've been watching for 43 yrs and I remember seeing most of them play. What great memories. Now which current player or players will we look back in a few years and say they belong on this list also?

Maybe Tiny, J. Stone, Juan James, Marquez North?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Well I will open up the debate by getting flamed for this but here goes.....I would put Heath Shuler at qb. Hear me out. Things break down in the college game. Guys running wrong routes, missed blocks and such more than in NFL so when that happens I want a qb that can scramble. Heath Shuler could do it all.

You want someone who can scramble, check out the youtube videos of Condredge Holloway.

I am older too and remember his gluefingers. I was torn between starting him and Morgan but allowed the versatility of Morgan win out. Seivers is definitely the first guy in when going to 4 wideouts

Stanley's career, purely as a receiver at UT, is somewhat difficult to evaluate. There is no question that he was a great player, indeed he remains the "career all-purpose yardage leader at Tennessee with 4642 yards. A talented all-round athlete, who played both tailback and wide receiver during his time at Tennessee, he led the 1973 team in pass receiving, averaging a school-record 23.2 yards per catch, and led the team in rushing from his tailback position in 1974 and 1975. He averaged 5.5 yards per carry over the course of his career" (Morgan, Kent to be UT Legends of the Game Saturday - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics).

DE: Reggie White
DT: Johnson Henderson
DT: Albert Haynesworth
DE: Doug Atkins
LB: Al Wilson
LB: Leonard Little
LB: Andy Spiva
CB: Dale Carter
CB: Dwayne Goodrich
S: Eric Berry
S: Bill Bates

Had to add Spiva.....Honestly I am not sure I would wish that defense on worst enemy, not sure there is an offense that could survive that...... That's just beyond pain train......

Peyton Manning QB
Tim McGee WR
Carl Pickens WR
Larry Seivers WR
Jamal Lewis RB
Jason Witten TE
Antone Davis T
Bob Suffridge G
Bob Johnson C
Chip Kell G
Charles MCrae T

Doug Atkins DE
Steve De Long DT
John Henderson DT
Reggie White DE
Raynoch Thompson LB
Al Wilson LB
Hacksaw Reynolds LB
Terry Fair CB
Dale Carter S
Eric Berry S
Terry McDaniel CB

I KNOW I'll get flamed.... but I want Da'Rick at WR. In the 4th, I want a strong physical WR that will NOT drop a ball when hit, and can make all the acrobatic catches. For example, that fade route TD near the end of the '11 Vandy game. Not saying our other historic WR wouldn't do similar things, but that guy could take a whopping and never flinch. Just my idiotic 2 cents.

Last edited:
must be a tough list if two time All Americans & All SEC guys like Delong, Kiner, Walker, Seivers can't make it on

Reactions: 2 people
I KNOW I'll get flamed.... but I want Da-Rick at WR. In the 4th, I want a strong physical WR that will NOT drop a ball when hit, and can make all the acrobatic catches. For example, that fade route TD near the end of the '11 Vandy game. Not saying our other historic WR wouldn't do similar things, but that guy could take a whopping and never flinch. Just my idiotic 2 cents.

Let's not settle for a poor man's Carl Pickens.

Peyton Manning QB
Tim McGee WR
Carl Pickens WR
Larry Seivers WR
Jamal Lewis RB
Jason Witten TE
Antone Davis T
Bob Suffridge G
Bob Johnson C
Chip Kell G
Charles MCrae T

Doug Atkins DE
Steve De Long DT
John Henderson DT
Reggie White DE
Raynoch Thompson LB
Al Wilson LB
Hacksaw Reynolds LB
Terry Fair CB
Dale Carter S
Eric Berry S
Terry McDaniel CB

No Leonard Little?

Let's not settle for a poor man's Carl Pickens.

You're probably 100% right, but I wasn't privileged enough to have watched Pickens; a bit before my time. Therefore I cannot truly voice an opinion on him. I just know I'd MUCH rather have that type of receiver than a Peerless Price type (and yeah I'll prolly get flamed for that one too).

Ends up a tie in a quadruple ot and two national championships are handed out

Quite a good point, not even Alabama could field a pro team better than UT. there are some great players not even mentioned, Doug Atkins was mentioned, but he played when stats were not kept on most things. He almost killed my childhood Idol Johnny U. then I found out he was from Ut and it was ok, I still was crazy about Unitas, but I started watching Atkins, Played basketball at UT. Imagine a DE playing basketball, He dominated as much as Reggie White(and Reggie is one of the greatest) in pro history, I'll stop but don't forget hacksaw Reynolds, Mike Lucci The LB can't remember Patreno? That met Larry Csonka in the whole at the goal line and stood him straight up and back, unforgettable andall American Floyd Little did no better against us.

VN Store

Back