Tennessee All-Time Offense vs. Tennessee All-Time Defense

Gen. Neyland said Herman Hickman was the best college guard ever to play the game, so I would have to list him as our best ever guard. Andy Kozar was a great Fullback with Curt Watson close.

Agreed, that was heresy.....

You have Albert Haynesworth, Dwayne Goodrich, and Bill Bates on your defense. You have no clue what you're talking about. Little played LB for one year and it was nothing to write home about. If you want to argue he should play over Reggie White, I'm open to that argument.

must be a tough list if two time All Americans & All SEC guys like Delong, Kiner, Walker, Seivers can't make it on

Unfortunately, many, if not most, contributors to this thread are simply too young to know just good Steve Kiner was. We produced All-American linebackers like an assembly-line factory during the Dickey and early Battle era, but Kiner was the best and most intimidating of them.

It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Hey, I think I was just insulted on the internet! Imagine that!
I will stick by it though. We all know Manning was great but in the college game I would rather have Shuler who could tuck it and run if need be.

Hard to go wrong with many of the choices here. Arguments can always made for top stars on all-time teams

Shuler is a great choice for QB as is Manning
We had a host of all-American linebackers like hacksaw Reynolds and Paul naumoff. Have to add Jackie walker who was so disruptive teams had to scheme just to account for him

Also Bobby Majors who won offensive player of the game as a defensive back. Be interesting to see the Pre 80s team vs the greats from the 90's forward

The list is skewed too much to the last 20 years, obviously. We had a several great DBs and LBs in the late 60s/70s--Bobby Majors was a fantastic player, Conrad Graham, others. Stanley Morgan was great. As a collegiate player, Shuler was as good as Manning, if not better--he could do it all, and at a very high level--outstanding passer, and very effective runner, and knew when to run. Better than Holloway. James Stewart had a more productive UT career than Webb or Lewis--absolute stud who played several years in the NFL. And let's not forget Johnnie Majors--Heisman runnerup who should have won the award--got screwed by northern bias. Hickman has to be at guard. No. 1 player on all-time list--maybe D. Atkins.

Reactions: 2 people
You have Albert Haynesworth, Dwayne Goodrich, and Bill Bates on your defense. You have no clue what you're talking about. Little played LB for one year and it was nothing to write home about. If you want to argue he should play over Reggie White, I'm open to that argument.

That was the OP's team from the TOS. I had Fair and McDaniel at CB. I also took Carter over Bates although Bates is highly underrated by UT fans IMO.

Last edited:
That was the OP's team from the TOS. I had Fair and McDaniel at CB. I also took Carter over Bates although Bates is highly underrated by UT fans IMO.

Good ole Friday night...:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Hey, I think I was just insulted on the internet! Imagine that!
I will stick by it though. We all know Manning was great but in the college game I would rather have Shuler who could tuck it and run if need be.

Shuler was a great athlete and maybe the strongest arm I have seen at UT. He threw 50 yards like it was 20. Yes he could run some too. But he simply is not the field general manning is, and often used less than sound judgement on passing. He had a great opportunity in nfl that he couldn't live up to as well. I would not take him over manning, or conredge, or clausen, or Martin. Now off the field he's shown himself to be a buisiness mastermind. Still not sure if even Peyton matches his networth, he's so much more then just a great athlete. Schuler is a force off the field . But take him over Manning? No way.

I would make a lot of changes to that all time lineup.

WR Carl Pickens
WR Tim McGee
WR Stanley Morgan
QB Tony Robinson
TB Chuck Webb
FB Greg Amsler
T Antone Davis
T Chad Clifton
G Bruce Wilkerson
G Cosey Coleman
C Bob Johnson
TE Jason Witten

DE Reggie White
DE Doug Atkins
DT Steve DeLong
DT John Henderson
LB Jack Reynolds
LB Al Wilson
LB Paul Naumoff
CB Dale Carter
CB Roland James
SS Eric Berry
FS Deon Grant

KR Willie Gault
PR Eddie Brown
ST Bill Bates
K Fuad Reveiz
P Ron Widby

To answer your question: yes, but barely thanks to the perfect check-off by Robinson to a single covered Tim McGee

Tony Robinson?

VN Store

Back