Tennessee and Iowa -- initial comparison

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
In spite of the fact that Iowa is 10-3 and the Vols are only 8-4, the two teams seem to balance fairly well.

1. Iowa's best wins were against three 7-5 teams: Iowa State, Wisconsin, and Northwestern. The Vols best wins were against two 7-5 teams: Texas A&M and Kentucky.

2. Iowa's worst loss was against a 5-7 team: Minnesota. Tennessee's worst loss was against a 5-7 team: Florida.

3. Iowa lost to both Top 10 teams it played: Penn State and Michigan. Tennessee lost to all three Top 10 teams we played: Bama, UGa, and Mizzou.

4. The combined record of all the teams Iowa beat this year was 55-65 (.458). The record of all the teams the Vols beat was 44-42 (.512).

5. One significant difference: the average score of Iowa's 2023 games was 17-13 in Iowa's favor. Their MO was to win close games, with not much offense but a smothering defense. Only one opponent scored more than 30 points on them. By contrast, the average score of Vols matches was 32-22, in our favor. While not the fire-hot offense of 2022, our lads still scored 30+ points seven different times. So, something has to give here.

6. Tellingly, the point margin in Iowa's favor this year was, on average, just 4 points. The delta in the Vols' favor averaged out at 10 points. Advantage to the Vols.

Given all this, I wouldn't be surprised to see Vegas put the spread at about 3 or 4 points. In our favor. Yes, in spite of the fact that Iowa is the 10-win team that went to its conference championship match, I think the Vols are going to be favored to win.

Go Vols!

1701647491107.png

1701647539167.png1701647657838.png 1701647680436.png

Last edited:
One of two things is going to happen-

1. TN will blow the doors off slow Iowa and we will all be taking a nap to get rid of our hangovers by the end of the first quarter.

2. Hawkeyes will be fired up for the last game with Brian Ferentz as OC and throw up a 60 burger

I learned very early in my TN fandom to not bet on which one will take place.

We will blow the doors off Iowa. I remember when we played them back in 2015, results will be similar.

I agree. We matchup well with Iowa. You have to create explosive plays in the pass game to beat Tennessee, for the most part. Running the ball, playing defense will not cut it.

Reactions: MemphisVol77

1. TN will blow the doors off slow Iowa and we will all be taking a nap to get rid of our hangovers by the end of the first quarter.

2. Hawkeyes will be fired up for the last game with Brian Ferentz as OC and throw up a 60 burger

Iowa couldn't put up 60 if we spotted them 35.

Loser mentality confirmed

Reactions: feathersax
In 50 years of following the Vols I can’t think of any Tennessee game I have less interest in than this one. Iowa??? Yuck!

In spite of the fact that Iowa is 10-3 and the Vols are only 8-4, the two teams seem to balance fairly well.

1. Iowa's best wins were against three 7-5 teams: Iowa State, Wisconsin, and Northwestern. The Vols best wins were against two 7-5 teams: Texas A&M and Kentucky.

2. Iowa's worst loss was against a 5-7 team: Minnesota. Tennessee's worst loss was against a 5-7 team: Florida.

3. Iowa lost to both Top 10 teams it played: Penn State and Michigan. Tennessee lost to all three Top 10 teams we played: Bama, UGa, and Mizzou.

4. The combined record of all the teams Iowa beat this year was 55-65 (.458). The record of all the teams the Vols beat was 44-42 (.512).

5. One significant difference: the average score of Iowa's 2023 games was 17-13 in Iowa's favor. Their MO was to win close games, with not much offense but a smothering defense. Only one opponent scored more than 30 points on them. By contrast, the average score of Vols matches was 32-22, in our favor. While not the fire-hot offense of 2022, our lads still scored 30+ points seven different times. So, something has to give here.

6. Tellingly, the point margin in Iowa's favor this year was, on average, just 4 points. The delta in the Vols' favor averaged out at 10 points. Advantage to the Vols.

Given all this, I wouldn't be surprised to see Vegas put the spread at about 3 or 4 points. In our favor. Yes, in spite of the fact that Iowa is the 10-win team that went to its conference championship match, I think the Vols are going to be favored to win.

Go Vols!

View attachment 599711

View attachment 599712View attachment 599713 View attachment 599714
I like the ship pics. This is my all-time favorite USS Tennessee pic, blasting away at Iwo Jima.
BB-43-LVT-okinawa.jpg

Then you are a loser fan. You should be extremely excited about this bowl game. Good grief.
My days of getting excited about sporting events ended about 10 years ago. Just not important to me for the most part anymore. Although I do still love the technical aspect of football, which is why I still watch it, although more analytically. Loser fan? I’m Ok with being called that because you are right, I am not a diehard fan.

My days of getting excited about sporting events ended about 10 years ago. Just not important to me for the most part anymore. Although I do still love the technical aspect of football, which is why I still watch it, although more analytically. Loser fan? I’m Ok with being called that because you are right, I am not a diehard fan.
Fair enough.

who is our QB for the game?
Nico = WGWTFA
Joe= WGWJNTB (we gonna win just not that big)

VN Store

Back