Tennessee and Iowa -- initial comparison

I vividly remember saying in the pre game FL thread that I’ve been around long enough to know how many times we’ve been the better team and lost. And was told how ridiculous it was and that IT could throttle FL.

Yea…here we go again… 🙄

Then you are a loser fan. You should be extremely excited about this bowl game. Good grief.
Agreed. Some of our fans just suck man.

Anyway, I'm still curious to see if Milton is going to opt out. Id like to have at least some idea of what Nico looks like in a full game before next season. And it might make a lot of sense for him to opt out. He's already playing in the senior bowl, and from what I've read Iowa is know for their defense. If he comes out and struggles his draft stock could absolutely tank. I think it's a win win for Joe to sit this one out.

"...the Vols are facing a team that can afford their offense the opportunity to go through long stretches without scoring."

In spite of the fact that Iowa is 10-3 and the Vols are only 8-4, the two teams seem to balance fairly well.

1. Iowa's best wins were against three 7-5 teams: Iowa State, Wisconsin, and Northwestern. The Vols best wins were against two 7-5 teams: Texas A&M and Kentucky.

2. Iowa's worst loss was against a 5-7 team: Minnesota. Tennessee's worst loss was against a 5-7 team: Florida.

3. Iowa lost to both Top 10 teams it played: Penn State and Michigan. Tennessee lost to all three Top 10 teams we played: Bama, UGa, and Mizzou.

4. The combined record of all the teams Iowa beat this year was 55-65 (.458). The record of all the teams the Vols beat was 44-42 (.512).

5. One significant difference: the average score of Iowa's 2023 games was 17-13 in Iowa's favor. Their MO was to win close games, with not much offense but a smothering defense. Only one opponent scored more than 30 points on them. By contrast, the average score of Vols matches was 32-22, in our favor. While not the fire-hot offense of 2022, our lads still scored 30+ points seven different times. So, something has to give here.

6. Tellingly, the point margin in Iowa's favor this year was, on average, just 4 points. The delta in the Vols' favor averaged out at 10 points. Advantage to the Vols.

Given all this, I wouldn't be surprised to see Vegas put the spread at about 3 or 4 points. In our favor. Yes, in spite of the fact that Iowa is the 10-win team that went to its conference championship match, I think the Vols are going to be favored to win.

Go Vols!

View attachment 599711

View attachment 599712View attachment 599713 View attachment 599714
Tennessee lost to Alabama, Georgia and Missouri, all in top 10 in Nation. We will just forget about Florida loss. Iowa lost to Michigan, (who Bama will beat). And they lost to Penn St (who Ole Miss will beat.)

VN Store

Back