Tennessee and Iowa -- initial comparison

What I’ve seen of Iowa, they will play for 60 minutes. They should not let up, even in a bowl game. Their D is smart, tough, and capable, but our Vols should be able to score on them 5 to 7 times. Their O isn’t flashy and has been neutered by PSU and Michigan. They’ve also scored 41 points against WMU.

Tennessee is capable of scoring 40+ points on Iowa. They’re also capable of losing focus and effectiveness in the middle of a game. Here’s hoping the Vols have a complete game, frustrate Iowa’s offense, and score 35 - 49 points. GBO!

Last edited:
I’m convinced the Vols could be 0-6 and there would be folks here claiming that we’re gonna blowout the next opponent.
Were you cognizant during 2017? Throughout the conference schedule, we were forced to think the Vols would put it together the next game. If you lack the sympathetic understanding of this, check your orange. It’s not Pantone 151. It’s corrupted by cynicism.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Were you cognizant during 2017? Throughout the conference schedule, we were forced to think the Vols would put it together the next game. If you lack the sympathetic understanding of this, check your orange. It’s not Pantone 151. It’s corrupted by cynicism.
Even Butch Lyle Jones teams had their way with the little 10 teams in bowl games.

The last time that I was in Iowa was for the 2011 RAGBRAI. Across the entire state, I encountered one guy who was a belligerent a-hole. Everyone else was personable and welcoming. On collegiate colors day, I wore my Tennessee Volunteers cycling jersey. I heard shouts of “Go Vols!” And “Go Big Orange!” I met riders from Iowa and Iowa State, all of whom were friendly and supportive. Those of you headed to the bowl game, I hope you encounter congenial Iowa fans. Whoever you encounter, represent UT with your best. GBO!

Edit: Oh, and I didn’t encounter a single Bammer. It was a great RAGBRAI.

If we can get the O-line healthy this stays close for a half, but we’ll pull away late. If we limp out our 2s and 3s, we may need a big play in special teams or a defensive score to tip the scale.

Even Butch Lyle Jones teams had their way with the little 10 teams in bowl games.
That team had more playmakers that this UT team does. Folks were talking about how badly we were going to crush Florida, too. Iowa is kind of a throwback to my day. Solid team. Tough defense. Tough special teams. They're physical and they'll try to grind on us. Do we have enough speed on the outside with our youngsters at WR to make some splash plays? Will our defense get some turnovers? Can our special teams with Williams give us a spark? Will we be into this game and can we play physical and match their physicality? Just like you can't look at comparative scores, you also can't look at our past performance vs that conference and Iowa in particular and make a judgment. UT better come to play and Milton better be "on". I'm not sure we can run the ball against this defense consistently. It's all going to about splash plays. Can we get a few?

I'd be surprised if we weren't favored.

In FPI, Tennessee is #17, Iowa #31, so 14 spots ahead of Iowa.

In Sagarin, Tennessee is #24 and Iowa is #41. Sagarin's implied betting line would be Tennessee -4.5 points.

I think generally with the BIG TEN they tend to be slower at skill positions with more physical lines.

If you look at our bowl results over the last 15 years, they were not ready for SEC opponents (at least us). The one school who rivaled our speed was Purdue (whether they actually beat us is a debate).

I do think our lack of wide receivers could make it interesting but if we utilize our stable of running backs the right way, I don’t see Iowa scoring enough to beat us.

Think he understands that making a declaration of that magnitude about a QB that has never started a game is only setting yourself up for disappointment.
I explained the post to him earlier. Did you miss the explanation?

Even if we start slow on offense, we should NOT feel pressure to score on every series just to keep up…😂😂😂

Last edited:
Agreed. Some of our fans just suck man.

Anyway, I'm still curious to see if Milton is going to opt out. Id like to have at least some idea of what Nico looks like in a full game before next season. And it might make a lot of sense for him to opt out. He's already playing in the senior bowl, and from what I've read Iowa is know for their defense. If he comes out and struggles his draft stock could absolutely tank. I think it's a win win for Joe to sit this one out.
Opting out option for Joe is a lose/lose situation. If he does half our negavol/emotionally challenged consortium will roast him for a lack of loyalty, and if he does not they will dog him and repeat the urban legend that he ran out of bounds to avoid contact in the MS game and trash him for standing in Nico's way. We will hear from that very versatile group one way or the other. They have taken cyber backslapping to a new art form.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Bowl Games are often more about effort than team strengths. A lot of teams don't show up sometimes since the game doesn't matter in the scheme of things.

Reactions: 67Vol
I'd just say that not all 7-5 teams are equal. IMO...SEC 7-5 is different than big 10 7-5. If we show up and play disciplined football on both sides we should win this one. The wild card is do teams take these non NY6 games seriously or like an exhibition game with all the opt outs and transfers...

We're going to curb stomp Iowa, great match up for us. Their historic ineptitude and conservative scheme on offense will cancel out our Achilles heel of a secondary. We will score more points than them.

The last time that I was in Iowa was for the 2011 RAGBRAI. Across the entire state, I encountered one guy who was a belligerent a-hole. Everyone else was personable and welcoming. On collegiate colors day, I wore my Tennessee Volunteers cycling jersey. I heard shouts of “Go Vols!” And “Go Big Orange!” I met riders from Iowa and Iowa State, all of whom were friendly and supportive. Those of you headed to the bowl game, I hope you encounter congenial Iowa fans. Whoever you encounter, represent UT with your best. GBO!

Edit: Oh, and I didn’t encounter a single Bammer. It was a great RAGBRAI.
That's cause Bammers can't spell RAGBRAI.

VN Store

Back