Tennessee Lady Vol News

Anyone thinking there won't be a significant adjustment period in the early days is either naive or ignorant.

You're likely to see a lot of turnovers early in the year as we push to achieve the pace of pay that coach wants on offense.

Also expect a bunch of defensive breakdowns that lead to easy layups while we figure out what works IRL with a full court press against Power 5 opponents.

You'll see substantial improvement over the course of the season as we get comfortable with our own "insanity speed" and our opponents struggle to cope.

Not only is it going to take the players and assistant coaches time to adjust I think it going to take Coach Caldwell some time. I say this because she's never ran her system with the level of athletes before. This will be the fastest most athletic team she's ever coached. I can't wait to see what it's going to look like once they get in sync with each other. Everyone just needs to be patient (No way that's happening) and not expect them to look like the globe trotters.

I do not sense this outlook of a prolonged adjustment period. I think in the Lady Vols situation a change has presented a fresh start for the players returning and a reinvigorating opportunity to play on one of biggest if not the biggest stage of all women’s sports in the world here in Knoxville. Teams such as NC State, LSU, and Louisville in less than ideal situations with far less resources have found success building teams through the portal. Matter of fact the majority of the best teams in the NIL era have been built through a handful of transfers via the portal in all collegiate sports.
Tennessee seems to have found the right coach to mesh with elite skill via the portal, coaching prowess, scheme, and an enhance coaching staff with known and successful assistants led by Coach Lazo and Coach Tubner with amazing ties throughout the sport.
I believe it’s time for fans to take a step back and allow them to do their jobs and just support these Lady Vols.
The staff knows exactly what they are doing.. the portal, few and subtle highly executed summer workout session clips, high school recruiting signees of highly ranked prospects (Pauldo twins) with a historic NiL portfolio of deals from Gatorade, Nissan, Puma in a brief period of time has shown us this staff is made up of efficient and natural born leaders.
The one factor that is often overlooked is for all the talk about Coach Caldwell’s system and how it will translate is after seeing her win national championships and conference championships everywhere shes been is “has she ever inherited a team with the overall talent to play in her system at the highest level?”
This team is made up of several starters with just enough youth for the first time in years who have seen individual success in two major conferences. They have depth. They are building team chemistry. Coach Caldwell’s team will not face opponents in the SEC with talent that they can’t match, superior size, or athleticism. This is the first complete Lady Vols teams since 2015. Health is the key. The strength and conditioning video posted last week was the first phase on the way to elite basketball on Rocky Top.

Oh yes, they most definitely will. Several of them.

No, they won’t. Tennessee has gone from relying on the athleticism of a few players in the previous four years to now having the luxury of being more athletic than most of the SEC. You can’t project what you’ve seen from recent years to the 2024-2025 roster. The athletic ability of Alyssa Latham, Lazaria Spearman, Ruby Whitehorn, and Talaysia Cooper significantly puts Tennessee in a position to thrive in an area that was a known weakness. Alyssa Latham is one of the most battled tested returning freshman in WBB.
We also can’t forget that for three years Samara Spencer has had huge games against some of the best teams in the SEC.
I can see Samara Spencer and Jewel Spear complimenting each other well.
Jillian Hollingshead and Sara Puckett get a fresh start.
This team will not face superior talent, size, or athleticism.

Not only is it going to take the players and assistant coaches time to adjust I think it going to take Coach Caldwell some time. I say this because she's never ran her system with the level of athletes before. This will be the fastest most athletic team she's ever coached. I can't wait to see what it's going to look like once they get in sync with each other. Everyone just needs to be patient (No way that's happening) and not expect them to look like the globe trotters.

As long as they have it all together by the time SEC games start I believe they will be fine and rolling. With the returning players and transfers with experience think it will come together sooner than this.

Anyone thinking there won't be a significant adjustment period in the early days is either naive or ignorant.

You're likely to see a lot of turnovers early in the year as we push to achieve the pace of pay that coach wants on offense.

Also expect a bunch of defensive breakdowns that lead to easy layups while we figure out what works IRL with a full court press against Power 5 opponents.

You'll see substantial improvement over the course of the season as we get comfortable with our own "insanity speed" and our opponents struggle to cope.
I will wait to see what happens in November games to make any definitive statements on how this team will play when the lights come on .

It's impossible to 100% accurately simulate game opponents. In practice, everyone knows each other and even the male practice players are "known opponents" whose tendencies are already anticipated. A fresh, live opponent? You face them not knowing exactly how they've prepared for you. You face them not knowing exactly how fast they are or how they'll talk on the court or, well, anything much but whatever film may have been available. And in early season games, there may not be much of that available to scout.

It's not that our players won't have ample talent to compete, or won't have practiced hard enough to win. It's just that early on, in trying to mesh together in an entirely new system with pretty much all first-year-together teammates learning it together, they won't REALLY get started truly seeing what it's going to take to mesh, REALLY MESH, until they get a feel for how "same" or "different" it is when they face opponents they don't practice with every day.

It's so different, and that's why I kinda believe they'll need to be in that position a number of times before the light bulbs will start to go on for them. I think they'll start Game One in better condition than past teams have been in early on. but that's only half the battle. And yes, the talent is going to be there Game One as well. But not the experience of going against players they haven't seen and who may have been practicing specifically to exploit any possible weaknesses. It takes time to learn to make real-game adjustments.

It's impossible to 100% accurately simulate game opponents. In practice, everyone knows each other and even the male practice players are "known opponents" whose tendencies are already anticipated. A fresh, live opponent? You face them not knowing exactly how they've prepared for you. You face them not knowing exactly how fast they are or how they'll talk on the court or, well, anything much but whatever film may have been available. And in early season games, there may not be much of that available to scout.

It's not that our players won't have ample talent to compete, or won't have practiced hard enough to win. It's just that early on, in trying to mesh together in an entirely new system with pretty much all first-year-together teammates learning it together, they won't REALLY get started truly seeing what it's going to take to mesh, REALLY MESH, until they get a feel for how "same" or "different" it is when they face opponents they don't practice with every day.

It's so different, and that's why I kinda believe they'll need to be in that position a number of times before the light bulbs will start to go on for them. I think they'll start Game One in better condition than past teams have been in early on. but that's only half the battle. And yes, the talent is going to be there Game One as well. But not the experience of going against players they haven't seen and who may have been practicing specifically to exploit any possible weaknesses. It takes time to learn to make real-game adjustments.
Just curious... would you describe your own play preference as more feel & intuition, or more technique & gameplan?

ya'll looking at this video...we are going to be shooting SOME THREES this season! should be exciting!
It was great seeing Tess out there. If she can defend well enough to stay on the floor, she’ll be a big boost off the bench.

I’d love to see some clips of Jill and Kaiya. I’m curious how their development is going.

I bet this may had been asked before already but I can not find the post, but does anybody know where I can see other Marshall full replay games other than the Wake Forest and the Virginia Tech games? Tried Hulu and Espn3 but nothing. 😑

OR NOT!

Could be our opponents won’t know what hit them in a scheme dedicated to getting the best shot as quick as possible. Yeah, there will be lightning transition induced turnovers, hopefully offset by lots of 90% shots at the rim and quality 3’s before their 5 gets below the key.

Yep will give up some bunnies when over frantically playing the passing lanes, but if that generates more turnovers, that can net a winner too.

If we can’t master it working on it every day, how can the enemy be prepared with just some film study? Not unlike the CJH TEMPO game down the street. Will win some and loose some, ratio TBD!

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Just curious... would you describe your own play preference as more feel & intuition, or more technique & gameplan?

Might sound like a copout, but I like a team that is clearly capable of following specific coaching directions when that's what's needed, but I also like it when I see players who are so sure of their movements that they don't have to think about it and then that making them infinitely more capable and successful at times when instinct and feel demands it. Learning proper technique naturally leads to more confidence which then leads to having better feel.

I guess my preference is to watch coachable players who are willing and capable of following a game plan, but I also like it when I see that they are smart and trust their own instincts when it feels right to them, also.

So, yeah, a classic copout. Lol

VN Store

Back