Tennessee Ranked 2nd for Best Game Day Atmosphere

What’s notable to me is the overall character of Tennessee fans. It makes Neyland one of the greatest CFB experiences, but it also makes the traveling legions most welcome. We see our fandom as a blessing, something that enriches our lives, makes us better human beings. We exchange “Go Vols” similarly to Christians saying “Praise Jesus” to one another. It’s an acknowledgment, a kinship, a comfort, a strength. We are certain in our fandom, humble, gracious, good natured, and affable. Our helpfulness is earnest. Our first impulse is to be generous. We are hospitable, even to Gayduhs and Bammers. We are gracious and appreciative guests.

Oh, sure, there are exceptions. We are not all angels, as the shizzle slinging on VN attests. But, I am not amiss as to our overall character.

Welcome! May we offer you something to drink? Eat? Help you in any way? Well, I hope you’re having a good time, even as I hope the Vols whip your team. Go Big Orange!

Now say Give Him Six 3 times and sing 4 Rocky Tops and stay out of South Bend.

Do the Rocky Tops for penance use the "woo" in Catholic ceremonies?

I can never keep the religions straight in terms of who uses the "woo" and who does not.

Does it make a difference that I was there as a GT fan and not a UT fan? Do I need to change the give him 6 chant to "to hell with Georgias"?

Just want to make sure I am doing things the proper way as to not offend the football gods lol

Seriously, I think it is possible to appreciate the atmosphere a school provides while detesting the school in general.

Do the Rocky Tops for penance use the "woo" in Catholic ceremonies?

I can never keep the religions straight in terms of who uses the "woo" and who does not.

Does it make a difference that I was there as a GT fan and not a UT fan? Do I need to change the give him 6 chant to "to hell with Georgias"?

Just want to make sure I am doing things the proper way as to not offend the football gods lol

Seriously, I think it is possible to appreciate the atmosphere a school provides while detesting the school in general.
Yes

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Nah man. That was before my time.

I went to a GT/ND game there maybe 10 years ago (possibly longer). Was on a work assignment in Chicago and was asked to stay another week. Once it was decided I was staying, bought a ticket online, rented a car, and drove down Saturday morning..

Like I said, absolutely hate ND but I give credit where it is due. They do game day right.
I’m impressed that you would endure throat vomit to share that.

Reactions: stolitonic
I think this and gumbo probably are the tie-breakers.
View attachment 665017
Yum! 🤤 I make a great gumbo, if I don’t say so myself! I use a much published Nola creole recipe, both roux and smothered Trinity.

Last edited:
Reactions: BruisedOrange
Tuve grabs second on a WP
…advances to third on a GO by Breggie. Yordan, IBB. Yainer Díaz in the box. T8, one out.

Diaz draws the walk. Bases juiced for Pena.

Wild pitch. Tuve fails to advance.

Pena’s excuse me infield dribbler scores Tuve. Sweet. 2-1, Stros!

Last edited:
Yeah, the fact that this boil was just shrimp seems a bit hoity-toity. But I guess you'd want your hands smelling nice for the game.
First time I ever ate crawfish was the year after I got out of school and moved from Knoxville to Baton Rouge for a job at Dow Chemical on the river. A plant that employed around 1000 workers at the time (1977). It was the annual Company Crawfish Boil on the old plantation grounds. They had several huge vats turning out load after load of spicy crawfish, shoveled out of pickup trucks onto an array of picnic tables, with 4 or 5 beer trucks to dole out the suds.73541029992__63A9B1F3-CBB4-4ABF-838C-807E0BC45F81.jpeg

Edit: Below, a plate of leftover crawfish the day after I last cooked up a batch at my warehouse. I like them better the next day, cold.

Last edited:
Tailgates will not go away. There will be even more. Then we will need to expand the stadium. For y'all Hans and Frans fans, Listen to me today, see you next Tuesday. 🤣

lol, tailgating may not "go away," but it will "go further away," as in further away from the stadium. Can make a lot more money with a storefront charging 20 dollars a beer than you can a bunch of drunk fans sitting around a truck. And as for how you can have more tailgating when excising an entire parking structure from the map, well, good luck with that.

And also, sadly, the era of expanding stadiums is over. The ones who got to 100k early will stay for the life of the stadium, but that's going to be, more or less, it. No more desire to expand out there, unless some superboosters have the ego and the checkbooks to demand it. And even then - unlikely.

Last edited:
Yum! 🤤 I make a great gumbo, if I don’t say so myself! I use a much published Nola creole recipe, both roux and smothered Trinity.

Gosh... how many years has it been since I made gumbo? Probably one every couple of months, back in NOLA. A couple of years after Katrina I made the last one for the Pennsylvania side of the fam, so that's... '07?

I'd stir and gently nurse that roux along for 35-40 minutes, 'til it got mahogany brown. That's the only real cooking part. After that, it's just cuttin' stuff and chunkin' it in--though in a timely sequence, so everything's still got the right texture at eatin' time.

Thanks, chuckiepoo, for reconnecting some good memories from (literally) two lives ago.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Gosh... how many years has it been since I made gumbo? A couple of years after Katrina I made one for the Pennsylvania side of the fam, so that's... '07?

I'd stir and gently nurse that roux along for 35-40 minutes, 'til it got mahogany brown. That's the only real cooking part. After that, it's just cuttin' stuff and chunkin' it in--though in a timely sequence, so everything's still got the right texture at eatin' time.

Thanks, chuckiepoo, for reconnecting some good memories from (literally) two lives ago.

I first owned a gumbo on a BSA trip to a state park near Austin. First time I witnessed the evening bridge bat flight downtown. My gumbo was well received!

Reactions: BruisedOrange
I’m impressed that you would endure throat vomit to share that.

Honestly, I admit it freely so no danger of throat vomit ha ha.

While I love the Vols, I am also a fan of the game. No shame in admitting that another school puts on a good show.

Honestly, I admit it freely so no danger of throat vomit ha ha.

While I love the Vols, I am also a fan of the game. No shame in admitting that another school puts on a good show.
I had to secretly admire the tiggahs. My wife was from deep down the Bayou and a huge tiggah fan. I do love me some good football.

Reactions: LadyVolette
LSU always gets recognition for their night game atmosphere. But any stadium at night is a tough environment to play in. What makes death valley so much better?
I don’t know about better, but definitely more rowdy- drunk Cajuns (married to a Cajun, I know about this 😂)

Reactions: McDad
Different experiences with LSU fans, students are the jerks, but most are nice and they know how to party and eat well and from my experience with them shared drink and food. Its just a crazy atmosphere like no other. Hard to describe unless you been there.

Neyland should be 1B but due to the above have the give the edge to tiger stadium on this one.

I was in Death Valley a few years ago,I thought it was a great atmosphere if you were a UT fan.

VN Store

Back