Tennessee Ranked 2nd for Best Game Day Atmosphere

I think this and gumbo probably are the tie-breakers.
View attachment 665017
I live in Florida so I go to the Vol/ UF games every other year in Gainesville ( yeah I know..) and yearly trips back to Neyland. The ONLY stadium I have ever been to that made me put my fingers in my ears it was so deafening loud was when the Vols played at night at Tiger Stadium versus LSU. The second loudest was Tenn/Bama with Hooker/Hyatt & gang win at Neyland.

The food spreads on tailgating tables at Tiger Stadium are insane.

Last edited:
First time I ever ate crawfish was the year after I got out of school and moved from Knoxville to Baton Rouge for a job at Dow Chemical on the river. A plant that employed around 1000 workers at the time (1977). It was the annual Company Crawfish Boil on the old plantation grounds. They had several huge vats turning out load after load of spicy crawfish, shoveled out of pickup trucks onto an array of picnic tables, with 4 or 5 beer trucks to dole out the suds.View attachment 665055

Edit: Below, a plate of leftover crawfish the day after I last cooked up a batch at my warehouse. I like them better the next day, cold.
My first crawfish boil was on Fat Tuesday at Mardi Gras the day I turned 21!!!!!! My college roomate at UT had a best friend from New Orleans, so we drove down to stay at his friends house in the Garden District on St. Charles. The parades start very early on Fat Tuesday so my friends had our boil in the morning---- yes, crawfish for breakfast! That night the house band of New Orleans--- The Funky Meters played at Tipitinas. I was let in for free when the doorman saw my Drivers License showing that I just turned 21 that day on Fat Tuesday. I had been drinking and celebrating all day, so unfortunately I was politely asked to leave at intermission by the bouncers lol

I live in Florida so I go to the Vol/ UF games every other year in Gainesville ( yeah I know..) and yearly trips back to Neyland. The ONLY stadium I have ever been to that made me put my fingers in my ears it was so deafening loud was when the Vols played at night at Tiger Stadium versus LSU. The second loudest was Tenn/Bama with Hooker/Hyatt & gang win at Neyland.

The food spreads on tailgating tables at Tiger Stadium are insane.
My oldest daughter (UT grad) lived in Baton Rouge for 5 years and earned her Master's Degree from LSU. Wife and I had several extended visits to Baton Rouge which included a couple LSU night games. You picked a great word to describe their tailgating food spreads.........INSANE! Man, those folks down there work their a$$es off Monday thru Thursday and party harder Friday thru Sunday.

My first crawfish boil was on Fat Tuesday at Mardi Gras the day I turned 21!!!!!! My college roomate at UT had a best friend from New Orleans, so we drove down to stay at his friends house in the Garden District on St. Charles. The parades start very early on Fat Tuesday so my friends had our boil in the morning---- yes, crawfish for breakfast! That night the house band of New Orleans--- The Funky Meters played at Tipitinas. I was let in for free when the doorman saw my Drivers License showing that I just turned 21 that day on Fat Tuesday. I had been drinking and celebrating all day, so unfortunately I was politely asked to leave at intermission by the bouncers lol
incredible. Love all versions of the Meters. Ive also seen them (and moe) at tipitinas. That was a long time ago

I don't know about that. I'd like to think that it's the passion of Tennessee fans both in the stadium and outside at the tailgates that make Neyland such a great atmosphere, rather than a bunch of expensive corporate storefronts and a private hotel.

This

November 1991?

Loved the atmosphere. It’s different . But Neyland at night when we are good is best sporting experience in US imo. and fortunate to be there when stadium was in original condition. Best Father Son weekend ever. Dad took this picture when we went on the field IMG_2324.jpeg

LSU always gets recognition for their night game atmosphere. But any stadium at night is a tough environment to play in. What makes death valley so much better?
100k drunk Cajuns, most started drinking on Wednesday.
100k drunk Vols is close though.

100k drunk Cajuns, most started drinking on Wednesday.
100k drunk Vols is close though.
Cajun by marriage. They ain’t a whole lot differnt than hill folk. When do hill folk not sit on the porch to watch the sunset, with a snort of corn likker?

The atmosphere at LSU the last time the Vols were there was great. Rocky Top was reverberating throughout Death Valley and walking out of the stadium, I have never heard "It's Great To Be A Tennessee Vol" sound better. It was very nice of the Tiger fans to leave in the 3rd Quarter so the Vols fans could enjoy the Big Orange Beat Down in peace..........and take your Neck with you!

Reactions: WillisWG

VN Store

Back