Tennessee, Virginia AG's Sue NCAA

I think it's only a matter of time before states like Florida, Texas, and others join in. Tennessee wouldn't be the last school that the NCAA goes after on its current witch hunt.
That's my thought, too. Florida, Texas, Michigan, and Georgia may be very eager to jump in, as well.

Several states would probably be wise to do so, too. Mississippi stands out. The NCAA would love to go after Kiffin. Better to join TN and VA and head the NCAA off at the pass.

That's my thought, too. Florida, Texas, Michigan, and Georgia may be very eager to jump in, as well.

Several states would probably be wise to do so, too. Mississippi stands out. The NCAA would love to go after Kiffin. Better to join TN and VA and head the NCAA off at the pass.

I am banking on California and Florida joining it next.

California because Nico is a California resident and because California has been very outspoken against NCAA in the past

Florida because of UF/FSU nonsense

After that, who knows. Michigan seems like a good candidate.

It's a novel idea, but unless a school is being questioned by NCAA like Florida/Va/Tenn, it's not realistic to think other schools are going to take up a cause that could possible ding a rival school. Until your ox is gored, most schools like seeing their arch rivals taken down. Can you imagine Tenn trying to help Bama or Georgia if they were being investigated ?
What about Michigan? And Florida? And isn't LSU once again cross-ways with the rules?

Reactions: norrislakevol
Michigan probably not. They are already in hot water.

California very liberal but could care less about College Sports. Major programs are in other conferences. They could for recruiting but time will tell.

Alabama no way. I see the SEC as a split on this. Sankey has no control over the State's government so that is a plus. Texas is borderline to me and the Big10 probably thinks it can sit back and watch what's to come out and smelling like a rose.

The NCAA's backs were again against the wall. There are 6 lawsuits counting this one and the others involve portal management and poor decisions they made. House of Cards.

I not sure if the NCAA even knows what their mission and charter states. Both are so outdated and Emmert was so hated he was going to hand the ball over anyway. The new guy got caught up in the old way of doing business and may prove to be just a figure head.

The NCAA looks at Tennessee as a good whipping boy. I am sure we are despised by them and are used as an example constantly since Fulmer left to set an example.

This is the first time I can remember that we have given them the Middle finger since Doug Dickey left.

TN staff, AD White, SPYRE and others probably knew this was coming and prepared the counter long in advance. Good for them. Maybe a reason Nico started and played the Gator Bowl.

NCAA will fold and hopefully Tennessee pursues a defamation suit.

NCAA will regret their decision. Gonna be a mess for them.

The sport is a mess already--or hadn't you noticed?

Correct me if this is wrong, but it's my understanding that NIL was conceived for /current/ student-athletes at a college/university--meaning players already in school and playing. It was not conceived to be used as a recruiting tool for bribing high-school prospects. I think that is at least part of the issue here.

Also, I'm not sure why any state that has D1 colleges with football programs--but football programs that are not nearly at the level of the major-conference football crazies--would want to take part in a lawsuit of this nature, as they will never compete financially with the P5 crazies. Why would Kansas, New Jersey, Connecticut, Nevada, Idaho, New Mexico, to name a few--want to join a lawsuit aimed at allowing the big-conference big boys and their wild-eyed boosters to throw money willy-nilly at high-school prospects? They don't have the programs or money to compete with the big crazies--so why would they support an unregulated market that favors the big boys?

Reactions: volfeeva
We might never win another natty in football, but we might be the program that finally ends the NCAA as we know it. Only fitting that the "Volunteers" are the tip of the spear that slays the NCAA.

And replace the NCAA with what....nothing? Yea, that will work. Anarchy!

And replace the NCAA with what....nothing? Yea, that will work. Anarchy!
I'm sure the SEC and other "super" conferences can come up with a viable solution. Hell, anything and I mean ANYTHING will be better than the biased, clown show known as the NCAA. At some point, you have to cut out the rot and start fresh.

At some point there will be a split between the big-boy crazies in college football and everybody else. Then the 30 or so big boys can all
throw huge sums of money around maniacally in their quest to win a national title while everyone else looks on, bemused. That is, if even the big boys
are willing and able to engage in the idiocy of spending many millions annually to pay their student-athletes above and beyond the full scholarships--worth lots of money--that the football/bb players are already getting. Oh, one wonders what top prospects think when they see numerous big programs---or their booster groups--approach them, slobbering in their desperation, like men sitting around a strip club stage, to outbid their many rivals.

I'm sure the SEC and other "super" conferences can come up with a viable solution. Hell, anything and I mean ANYTHING will be better than the biased, clown show known as the NCAA. At some point, you have to cut out the rot and start fresh.

Biased? In what way? Biased against Tennessee? C'mon.

You think the SEC will do better? At some point maybe the sport will be without governance. The sport needs rules/regulations--but how to enforce them given how popular the sport is--and how utterly crazy the fans and boosters of the big-dog programs are? That was the problem in the past, it's the problem now. When you have schools with boosters crazy enough to pony up $76 million to give to a coach to stop him from coaching your team--and then are prepared to spend many more millions on the next coach and the buyout to his school--and all because you're not winning enough college-football games to suit the boosters, well, the sport and its schools have jumped the shark. It's gotten quite stupid and irrational--in a LOT of ways.

Reactions: GoVols15
FWIW (which depends on who you are), the local Clemson low-rent hack sports station has a guy who comes on in the afternoons. One of the most pompous guys you’ll ever meet and never passes up an opportunity to get in a dig at the Vols, as the butthurt still flows around here.
He is in agreement with Chancellor Plowman’s response and the logic behind it, and expects more states to join the fight. His exact words: “The NCAA has been neutered”.

Reactions: norrislakevol
Wow!

here is a great breakdown from ON3

NCAA STATEMENT: “The NCAA remains firmly committed to protecting and expanding student-athletes NIL rights and opportunities. However, our membership has steadfastly supported the prohibition on impermissible recruiting contacts, booster involvement in recruiting prospects and the use of NIL offers as recruiting inducements.”

Now that is one hell of a contradicting statement. How do they expect NIL contracts to originate and play out? I am curious.

At some point there will be a split between the big-boy crazies in college football and everybody else. Then the 30 or so big boys can all
throw huge sums of money around maniacally in their quest to win a national title while everyone else looks on, bemused. That is, if even the big boys
are willing and able to engage in the idiocy of spending many millions annually to pay their student-athletes above and beyond the full scholarships--worth lots of money--that the football/bb players are already getting. Oh, one wonders what top prospects think when they see numerous big programs---or their booster groups--approach them, slobbering in their desperation, like men sitting around a strip club stage, to outbid their many rivals.
So you're against players getting paid, most of who are minorities? How liberal of you.

NCAA STATEMENT: “The NCAA remains firmly committed to protecting and expanding student-athletes NIL rights and opportunities. However, our membership has steadfastly supported the prohibition on impermissible recruiting contacts, booster involvement in recruiting prospects and the use of NIL offers as recruiting inducements.”

Now that is one hell of a contradicting statement. How do they expect NIL contracts to originate and play out? I am curious.
The NCAA has no leg to stand on and they will take another, or several more, L's in the courts.

You think the SEC will do better? At some point maybe the sport will be without governance. The sport needs rules/regulations--but how to enforce them given how popular the sport is--and how utterly crazy the fans and boosters of the big-dog programs are? That was the problem in the past, it's the problem now. When you have schools with boosters crazy enough to pony up $76 million to give to a coach to stop him from coaching your team--and then are prepared to spend many more millions on the next coach and the buyout to his school--and all because you're not winning enough college-football games to suit the boosters, well, the sport and its schools have jumped the shark. It's gotten quite stupid and irrational--in a LOT of ways.
You seem to have a lot of anger toward what college football/sports has become. I feel your pain, but let's not forget the NCAA is the one who agreed to the portal changes, NIL , paying players etc. And they failed to see what confusion and chaos could come from it. Go back and re-read every line of criticism and ask yourself why the NCAA could not foresee these problems that you and everyone else knew would happen when they let this out of the bag.

Your talking millions their talking billions

Correct me if this is wrong, but it's my understanding that NIL was conceived for /current/ student-athletes at a college/university--meaning players already in school and playing. It was not conceived to be used as a recruiting tool for bribing high-school prospects. I think that is at least part of the issue here.

Also, I'm not sure why any state that has D1 colleges with football programs--but football programs that are not nearly at the level of the major-conference football crazies--would want to take part in a lawsuit of this nature, as they will never compete financially with the P5 crazies. Why would Kansas, New Jersey, Connecticut, Nevada, Idaho, New Mexico, to name a few--want to join a lawsuit aimed at allowing the big-conference big boys and their wild-eyed boosters to throw money willy-nilly at high-school prospects? They don't have the programs or money to compete with the big crazies--so why would they support an unregulated market that favors the big boys?
If there are 30 top football " crazies" that have better programs than other schools ( that are not crazies) like Connecticut , Nevada, Idaho, New Mexico, why is that our problem? and what do you propose to do about it? Should we stop trying to win? Limit the number of students? Should we give Nevada and New Mexico some of our endowment fund each year to even things out?

Michigan probably not. They are already in hot water.

California very liberal but could care less about College Sports. Major programs are in other conferences. They could for recruiting but time will tell.

Alabama no way. I see the SEC as a split on this. Sankey has no control over the State's government so that is a plus. Texas is borderline to me and the Big10 probably thinks it can sit back and watch what's to come out and smelling like a rose.

The NCAA's backs were again against the wall. There are 6 lawsuits counting this one and the others involve portal management and poor decisions they made. House of Cards.

I not sure if the NCAA even knows what their mission and charter states. Both are so outdated and Emmert was so hated he was going to hand the ball over anyway. The new guy got caught up in the old way of doing business and may prove to be just a figure head.

The NCAA looks at Tennessee as a good whipping boy. I am sure we are despised by them and are used as an example constantly since Fulmer left to set an example.

This is the first time I can remember that we have given them the Middle finger since Doug Dickey left.

TN staff, AD White, SPYRE and others probably knew this was coming and prepared the counter long in advance. Good for them. Maybe a reason Nico started and played the Gator Bowl.

NCAA will fold and hopefully Tennessee pursues a defamation suit.
I think they should go ahead and file that suit. NCAA allegations hurt the brand that they come against. Wrongly, retroactively trying to punish Tennessee and allowing the cloud of the NCAA to hang over Tennessee's head is reason enough to go ahead and sue.

Personally as a VFL fan I'm sick as hell constantly having the NCAA on our front lawn.
The NCAA acts like the University of Tennessee are the dumbest f's in college sports.
Or they act like the University is dirtier than the whole former Southwest Conference.
Neither one of those things are correct.

I'm onboard with the Chancellor, the AG and the governor of our state. We need to burn the NCAA to the ground.
Let's put this on a fast track and not allow the NCAA to drag it out for 2-3 years which is normal for them. Demand a hearing and trial ASAP.

If it's allowed and someone sets up a fund for lawyers and litigation fees I'll be happy to donate to the fund. As I'm sure many others will.

Haven't you noticed that high school players are allowed to earn NIL? So you are at least partly wrong in your assumption. The toothpaste was out of the tube when NIL was allowed in the first place. You can't put it back in the tube now.

I will agree with your second point though. I'm not sure if you were directing that at me or just making a general point.

What baffles me is the NCAA going after us on the grounds of using NIL as a recruiting tool while states like Missouri have laws that athletes from their state can only receive NIL before enrolling if they enroll in a school in that state. If I understand that right that is without a doubt using NIL as a recruiting tool. I thought we made a bit of a mistake turning over on the Pruitt thing considering what other schools have gotten away with (North Carolina looking at you and your fake classes) but after going through it and reading Plowmans letter and the confidence she has in her statements I feel good about this.Time for heads to roll. GBO

VN Store

Back