Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Apologies if you took my comment to mean something “had to happen in February and March”. I don’t remember saying that explicitly. All I thought I said was that not getting him on campus for a game would be a missed opportunity and a disadvantage for Tennessee relative to the other schools he has visited. And again, that is only consequential if he reclassifies. It isn’t a deal breaker, but it is a disadvantage.

I just took it to mean if he is reclassifying that if he doesn’t come this weekend then we are running out of time, that’s what I disagreed on was all. We have another home game that Tuesday so the opportunity to attend a game would still be there.

I’m not sure how it all plays out but the fact he has used 4/5 official visits and hasn’t made a decision yet and seemingly wants to visit Tennessee for his 5th and has waited to do so is a positive sign to me. He visited Vanderbilt in September, Michigan in November, Virginia in January and Duke at the first of February...so if he visits Tennessee in March I like that we got last opportunity, and if it’s April or May and he opts to still not decide and indeed take an OV to Tennessee I really think that’s a positive sign. JMO.

Reactions: Big time vol
I just took it to mean if he is reclassifying that if he doesn’t come this weekend then we are running out of time, that’s what I disagreed on was all. We have another home game that Tuesday so the opportunity to attend a game would still be there.

I’m not sure how it all plays out but the fact he has used 4/5 official visits and hasn’t made a decision yet and seemingly wants to visit Tennessee for his 5th and has waited to do so is a positive sign to me. He visited Vanderbilt in September, Michigan in November, Virginia in January and Duke at the first of February...so if he visits Tennessee in March I like that we got last opportunity, and if it’s April or May and he opts to still not decide and indeed take an OV to Tennessee I really think that’s a positive sign. JMO.
That’s not really what I said, though, or even implied. Trust me, I’m with you. If he doesn’t come this weekend, we aren’t really up against a wall from a time perspective to ultimately land him. I just think it’s a second unfortunate missed opportunity to get him on campus to experience a game atmosphere against a top opponent. I think seeing our fan support in that kind of environment is a huge selling point. I know we have that last home game Tuesday vs Mississippi State, but a midweek visit is tough for most out of state kids, and if his team wins tonight and then wins Saturday, then they play next Friday for the state title. I’d guess practice will take precedence over a college visit, as it should.

And like you, I can see his persistence in wanting to visit as a positive. I just hope it happens before someone else swoops in and gets his attention.

That’s not really what I said, though, or even implied. Trust me, I’m with you. If he doesn’t come this weekend, we aren’t really up against a wall from a time perspective to ultimately land him. I just think it’s a second unfortunate missed opportunity to get him on campus to experience a game atmosphere against a top opponent. I think seeing our fan support in that kind of environment is a huge selling point. I know we have that last home game Tuesday vs Mississippi State, but a midweek visit is tough for most out of state kids, and if his team wins tonight and then wins Saturday, then they play next Friday for the state title. I’d guess practice will take precedence over a college visit, as it should.

And like you, I can see his persistence in wanting to visit as a positive. I just hope it happens before someone else swoops in and gets his attention.
I agree, hopefully he is here this weekend and if not hopefully he still arranges to come officially visit.

Like I said, even if it is for legit reasons, it still is conscious decisions not to make the trip. And no one would blame him for missing for those reasons. I just wonder if at some point a guy decides, “this trip hasn’t worked out twice now, maybe it just isn’t meant to be”, and he just moves on or decides amongst the visits he has already taken.

Of course, if he stays in the 2020 class, then that isn’t a huge concern...he still has time. If he is going to reclassify, however, then time becomes an issue, and failing to get on campus for a game would hurt our efforts I’d have to think. Doesn’t make it impossible to land him, but it would be an advantage every other school he’s visited so far would have over us.

Lastly, you seem to have a particular interest in Kessler. Why is that?

You have to remember that this is no ordinary recruiting situation. His Brother and his dad went through the recruiting process. His uncle as well but has passed away. His sister did for volleyball. On top of that, the kid is super smart. Capricious decisions are not part of the equation here

You have to remember that this is no ordinary recruiting situation. His Brother and his dad went through the recruiting process. His uncle as well but has passed away. His sister did for volleyball. On top of that, the kid is super smart. Capricious decisions are not part of the equation here
I agree. Experience with the process will be beneficial to his recruitment. I didn't mean to insinuate he'd approach it flippantly. By your own admission, though, when he visits, it would be helpful to have it happen during a big game. Curious to know if that is your opinion or based on something you know. Admittedly, I am interested to know your connection here. 🤔

If Kessler does reclassify would that make him a red-shirt candidate ? I would think not, since he would be filling such a position of need with Kyle graduating and hopefully because of his rebounding, scoring and shot blocking skills. If Kessler does end up at UT, I predict more rebounds and especially points than Kyle career-wise. Still think Kessler will end up at Georgia, tho. Hope not

If Kessler does reclassify would that make him a red-shirt candidate ? I would think not, since he would be filling such a position of need with Kyle graduating and hopefully because of his rebounding, scoring and shot blocking skills. If Kessler does end up at UT, I predict more rebounds and especially points than Kyle career-wise. Still think Kessler will end up at Georgia, tho. Hope not
Kessler is ready to play whenever he gets here. Burns is redshirting because he isn’t in the right condition physically.

No, Kessler would not be redshirting.

He doesn’t even seem to be considering Georgia so I’m not sure why you think that.

Kessler is ready to play whenever he gets here. Burns is redshirting because he isn’t in the right condition physically.
Yes, I know the Burns Red shirt was a different situation than Kessler's even tho they both could end up having been reclassified. Burns needed a year in a college level weight program and from what I have seen from Kessler's highlights, he doesn't, considering his physique and overall height. Btw, Burns has some old school, Adrian Dantley and Kevin McHale similarities in his offensive game, imo. I think Burns balls out next year. Like 7 points, 5 rebounds for the season with a 20 point game. Damn, I almost sound like D4H with my predictions

Last edited:
I don’t take this kid/family as “making him” go somewhere he doesn’t want to, but if you say so.
That's not what I'm saying bTo. What I'm saying is he has probably always loved Georgia because of the fact that his Dad and uncle played there. Imo, that could change things on a drop of a dime. Like I said, imo. Let's agree to disagree bTo. I want him at UT as much as anybody. I think if Kessler reclassifies and commits to the Vols, we will win 25 games again, next year. Plus with James, Gaines (balls out in a couple of years) and Pember, Vols will have a top 10 recruiting class, also.

Hed have to want to be a program changer to go to GA. Lot more appealing to go to a program that's an established winner to me?

That's not what I'm saying bTo. What I'm saying is he has probably always loved Georgia because of the fact that his Dad and uncle played there. Imo, that could change things on a drop of a dime. Like I said, imo. Let's agree to disagree bTo. I want him at UT as much as anybody. I think if Kessler reclassifies and commits to the Vols, we will win 25 games again, next year. Plus with James, Gaines (balls out in a couple of years) and Pember, Vols will have a top 10 recruiting class, also.

I get what you’re saying, but to me that would make more sense if he was showing them interest, he has pretty much dismissed their interest recently from everything I have seen. To me I worry much more about the teams he is actually visiting and that are visiting him than worrying about UGA.

I get what you’re saying, but to me that would make more sense if he was showing them interest, he has pretty much dismissed their interest recently from everything I have seen. To me I worry much more about the teams he is actually visiting and that are visiting him than worrying about UGA.
I get what u are saying, too. Like I said, agree to disagree. But, if we do get Kessler (reclassified), do u agree the Vols enter the top 10 in recruiting and win 25 games again, next year ? Of course, considering everybody returns besides KA and the Admiral.

Freak, how come there is a forum for football recruiting but not basketball recruiting? I realize there’s a lot more football recruits to keep track of but I bet they’d add up over the years for basketball. Not criticizing just wondering

Back in my day it was just the recruiting forum and basketball recruits were in there too?

How’d I do? I’ve been practicing getting old, I turn 30 in a few weeks.

Reactions: Vol49er

VN Store

Back