Texas A&M

Vollifer1949

Finebaum hinted Dabo possibly to A&M, wonder if there is any truth to this or he’s just trolling Clemson nut case fans?

Reactions: Plecoptera
Sports Talk Jay thinks that Lane Kiffin could be the next Texas A%M coach on one of his recent podcasts.

Dabo has cornered himself with his rhetoric denying the reality of 2023 CFB. The portal and NIL are not going anywhere, and limit Clemson's options in the new landscape.

We haven't seen a "Dabo will succeed Saban" thread in 6 or 7 weeks. It has been a nice break from that noise.

Dabo is in his mid 50s and has a near top tier contract with Clemson that runs until 2031. I'm doubtful aTm wants to hire a guy on the downslope of his career.

Kiffin will "Gundy" Ole Miss for a raise, but he can coast in Oxford and hope Bama or the NFL calls him in a few years.

It's Elko, for me, who can recruit the area, knows aTm and the quirks there, and might help keep the portal from destroying their roster. It's a "stop the bleeding" hire for them and a step up for him in his career. He won't cost a fortune either.

Reactions: Bearkat_Vol
Dabo is in his mid 50s and has a near top tier contract with Clemson that runs until 2031. I'm doubtful aTm wants to hire a guy on the downslope of his career.

Kiffin will "Gundy" Ole Miss for a raise, but he can coast in Oxford and hope Bama or the NFL calls him in a few years.

It's Elko, for me, who can recruit the area, knows aTm and the quirks there, and might help keep the portal from destroying their roster. It's a "stop the bleeding" hire for them and a step up for him in his career. He won't cost a fortune either.

I'm not so sure the Aggie fanbase would be placated with Elko right now
To get them to comply, quite frankly a few big names will have to turn down A&M very publicly.

Texas joining next year has put the Aggies in a position of dread and foreboding. They are at risk of quickly being excised back to little brother status-and they know it. They are not beating the Longhorns on and off the field by 2025, time might as well be turned back to 2008 in College Station.

Hiring Elko may very well be the best move the school can make long termd. Would they win much for a few years though? Probably not and to A&M it seems that is a fate worse than death.

Fate has determined that the Aggies have to make a splash hire NOW to keep their fanbase at bay. Funny thing is that the Jimbo hire was a luxury for them in 2017. Now they don't have a choice even after that massive failure on the books.

I'm not so sure the Aggie fanbase would be placated with Elko right now
To get them to comply, quite frankly a few big names will have to turn down A&M very publicly.

Texas joining next year has put the Aggies in a position of dread and foreboding. They are at risk of quickly being excised back to little brother status-and they know it. They are not beating the Longhorns on and off the field by 2025, time might as well be turned back to 2008 in College Station.

Hiring Elko may very well be the best move the school can make long termd. Would they win much for a few years though? Probably not and to A&M it seems that is a fate worse than death.

Fate has determined that the Aggies have to make a splash hire NOW to keep their fanbase at bay. Funny thing is that the Jimbo hire was a luxury for them in 2017. Now they don't have a choice even after that massive failure on the books.
any chance they go back to the Big 12 after Texas joins the SEC?

Reactions: VAVol85
any chance they go back to the Big 12 after Texas joins the SEC?

Nah. They want the money and glory of the SEC. Like everyone else.

Then stepping back down would be a further admission of little brother status by the Aggies. Would never happen. The basic equivalent of the posters on here a few days ago wanting UT to step down to the ACC.

I don't guess I should say it will never happen. The SEC (and B10) could implode under their own weight in the next decade. We all might be looking for new homes by the end of the decade. Very doubtful, but not out of the realm of fantasy.

Dabo and Jimbo are pretty much the same guy. I would be shocked if A&M had interest. Dabo's best is in his rearview mirror, just like Jimbo.

With A&M's spending power they will appear weak and stupid if they don't swing for the fences on this hire.
Even if they don't land one of the established elite coaches, they have to try.
Anything less will look apathetic and anemic.

I was thinking the opposite. I was thinking if they offer an established elite coach $100 million guaranteed, we'll all laugh.

Reactions: EasternVol
He's a funny dude. He went from more or less nothing to NFL head coach and then after that his career run in reverse all the way to FAU. He may have bottomed out.

There's one name they wouldn't be afraid to chase given their penchant for seeking coaches with history...

Urban Meyer.

The dust has settled on his last issues. And let's face it, if they hired Petrino, they'd hire Urban in a heartbeat.
They could hire Urban today, though, and haven't. The sooner they fill the head coach job, the less "bleeding" they'll do in the portal and recruiting.

Right now, if you're a recruit or player, you're stuck in limbo. If they announced Urban was coming to College Station after Thanksgiving, some might be unhappy with that choice but it would be a direction.

Right now, who knows where aTm is going? That's really bad for the program. Urban is one of the few decent coaches they could hire immediately, but they didn't....... and they likely won't unless they can't get someone else.

Reactions: Volfan1000
There's one name they wouldn't be afraid to chase given their penchant for seeking coaches with history...

Urban Meyer.

The dust has settled on his last issues. And let's face it, if they hired Petrino, they'd hire Urban in a heartbeat.
I agree. The question is does he want back in.

Reactions: Plecoptera

VN Store

Back