Texas A&M

I guess that's possible ... but I have doubts that Kentucky is going to pay a football coach anything close to what Texas A&M would. Just considering how fast this whole thing collapsed, it feels like some Aggie donors rejected Stoops. It's a lot like Schiano in how fast this was announced ... but then reversed.
Was it announced?

Here is the first article I've seen kicking the poor Aggies for being mean to Stoops.
Texas A&M stoops to new low by unhiring Mark Stoops amid fan revolt: The Aggies are still under the delusion that they deserve a big time college coach

It is a bit tame compared to the bad press UT received for Schaino Sunday, but more may follow.

It appears Stoops was almost hired away and UK is giving him zilch as an extension or raise. That makes this coaching search a bit of a history maker.
Writers know a great clickbait opportunity when they see one. I, for one, will never look down on a fan base for wanting the best coach they can possibly get. If it takes burning mattresses in the streets, so be it.

Elko contract: 7 yrs $42 million. Buyout is 75-80% of remaining contract. I guess they learned from their mistakes.
That contract is extremely pro-A&M.
They actually stuck to their guns and kept base salary down and loaded up incentives.
I didn't know if that would hold up under the pressures of the coaching market today.

Big Win for A&M. They won the contract, now they have to beat some good football teams.
Elko gets rich by winning.
I would hope this is a trend, because it is how coaching salary should be.
$11mil per season is a bargain if you go to the playoffs.

PayIncentive
$100,000Appear in SEC Championship Game
$50,000SEC Coach of the Year
$100,000National Coach of the Year
$50,000Multi-year APR of 960 or above
$1 millionMake the College Football Playoff (CFP)
$1.5 millionAdvance to CFP Quarter Finals and/or win the SEC Conference Title
$2 millionAdvance to the CFP Semi-Finals
$2.5 millionAdvance to the CFP Championship Game
$3.5 millionWin the National Championship

Anybody remember the movie 'Fast Break'? (Bernard King was in it) Gabe Kaplan played a basketball coach that got an offer to coach a college team and his deal was that he would get paid something (I don't remember the amount) for every game he won. Hilarious.

Someone wake me up when A&M is no longer a 7/8 win program for several seasons.
Just look at their history..with the exception of a couple of seasons. Yet somehow they believe their a perennial powerhouse.

Just look at their history..with the exception of a couple of seasons. Yet somehow they believe their a perennial powerhouse.
They think they have the resources of a perennial powerhouse, which they do. They don’t think they are a perennial powerhouse. Their administration has been hamstringing them for years.

I think Elko is going to do well there. He knows the landscape, and did more with less at Duke.

Reactions: 05_never_again
They think they have the resources of a perennial powerhouse, which they do. They don’t think they are a perennial powerhouse. Their administration has been hamstringing them for years.

I think Elko is going to do well there. He knows the landscape, and did more with less at Duke.
He knows the landscape? Before taking the DC job for one year at Notre Dame, he had spent the majority of his career as an assistant on Dave Clawson staffs. He was a DC in the SEC for three years before taking the Duke job. I would say his career thus far is on par with Derek Dooley's... but at least Dooley had been on National Championship staffs before he got to Tennessee.

That contract is extremely pro-A&M.
They actually stuck to their guns and kept base salary down and loaded up incentives.
I didn't know if that would hold up under the pressures of the coaching market today.

Big Win for A&M. They won the contract, now they have to beat some good football teams.
Elko gets rich by winning.
I would hope this is a trend, because it is how coaching salary should be.
$11mil per season is a bargain if you go to the playoffs.

PayIncentive
$100,000Appear in SEC Championship Game
$50,000SEC Coach of the Year
$100,000National Coach of the Year
$50,000Multi-year APR of 960 or above
$1 millionMake the College Football Playoff (CFP)
$1.5 millionAdvance to CFP Quarter Finals and/or win the SEC Conference Title
$2 millionAdvance to the CFP Semi-Finals
$2.5 millionAdvance to the CFP Championship Game
$3.5 millionWin the National Championship
Best post this forum has had in a long time. It's 100% how coaching contracts should be set up.

The coach gets an average salary "just because," and makes $16m if he wins a national title.

They don't believe they are a perennial powerhouse. They think they should be though, and when you look at their resources it's hard to argue with them.

They don't believe they are a perennial powerhouse. They think they should be though, and when you look at their resources it's hard to argue with them.
They've been living that dream as long as I can remember...that's a long time.

It's a roll of the dice. Did well for Duke. But probably not what fans were expecting when they blew out Jimbo. Several I know really expected Ryan Day, Kalen Deboer, or Kirby Smart.
Deboer is going to be hard to pry away from Washington. It’s a destination job imo.

Reactions: SpookyAction
It's hard to get me to feel bad for KY. They extended Stoops and overpaid him. I assume Sexton is behind some of this getting out there to either try to get him a little more cash or fool KY into believing they have a "sought after" coach.

KY, overall, appears okay with him and his performance. If he gets a raise out of this, I'll just laugh at how gullible they are in Lexington.

Calipari yells, "Hold My Beer" on winning another national championship at Kentucky.

VN Store

Back