Texas Democrats Walk Out

Oh, I agree. I just wanted to know if the Oregon gop were as feckless and petty as the Texas democrats.

I dont think they asked for supplies, but they no-showed on multiple occasions. I think the most recent walk-out was to avoid a vote on climate legislation.

So we agree the Texas Democrats who ran out on their jobs are **** bags.
I agree that they are both useless and should show up for work. I like to throw the comparison out every now and then because nobody seemed to pay attention when the Oregonians wouldn't show up, but the Texans stirred up a lot of outrage. Granted the Texans have been gone awhile. I dont know how long the various Oregon walkouts lasted.

Texas Democrats Have Fled to a New Location

Two weeks ago a number of Democrat legislators fled Texas, leaving behind their responsibilities to taxpayers, and flew to Washington D.C. on a private jet. They did so to dodge a vote on election integrity legislation.

During their time in the nation's capitol, they've met with a number of congressional Democrats and Vice President Kamala Harris. After flying maskless on their flight (after all, they had Miller Lite to drink), six Texas Democrats tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus.

Now, two Democrats from the delegation have fled to another city. This time, for vacation.

From the Texas Tribune:

Reactions: BreatheUT
Texas Judge Says Governor Can’t Have Runaway Democrats Arrested

texas-losers-on-plane-736x552.jpg

AUSTIN, TEXAS—A state judge in Travis County, Texas, issued an order late Sunday prohibiting the arrest or confinement of runaway Democratic lawmakers, moves favored by Gov. Greg Abbott (R.) and his allies in the statehouse.

State district judge Brad Urrutia (D.) wrote that Abbott and Speaker of the House Matthew "Dade" Phelan "erroneously interpreted Texas law and legislative rules" by threatening to arrest the Democrats or force them to discharge their duties by confining them in the state capitol. Though a victory for the fugitive lawmakers, the terse three-page order does not guarantee their return.

Urrutia’s temporary restraining order is an emergency step in effect for the next 14 days. The decision is appealable, and a spokeswoman for the governor said state lawyers will seek relief from a higher court.

Texas Judge Says Governor Can't Have Runaway Democrats Arrested - Washington Free Beacon

Texas Judge Says Governor Can’t Have Runaway Democrats Arrested

texas-losers-on-plane-736x552.jpg

AUSTIN, TEXAS—A state judge in Travis County, Texas, issued an order late Sunday prohibiting the arrest or confinement of runaway Democratic lawmakers, moves favored by Gov. Greg Abbott (R.) and his allies in the statehouse.

State district judge Brad Urrutia (D.) wrote that Abbott and Speaker of the House Matthew "Dade" Phelan "erroneously interpreted Texas law and legislative rules" by threatening to arrest the Democrats or force them to discharge their duties by confining them in the state capitol. Though a victory for the fugitive lawmakers, the terse three-page order does not guarantee their return.

Urrutia’s temporary restraining order is an emergency step in effect for the next 14 days. The decision is appealable, and a spokeswoman for the governor said state lawyers will seek relief from a higher court.

Texas Judge Says Governor Can't Have Runaway Democrats Arrested - Washington Free Beacon
This sounds like the semantics argument we were having earlier.

1. Cant do anything outside of Texas.
2. Can't "arrest" in Texas.
3. Possibly can "detain", not "arrest".

Texas Supreme Court allows for Arrest of Democrats who don't show up to legislature

The Texas Supreme Court Tuesday voided a district judge's temporary restraining order that blocked the threat of arrest for Democratic lawmakers who fled the state last month.

The state's Supreme Court ruling came after Abbott and House Speaker Dade Phelan petitioned the court Monday to overturn the protection order, meaning the lawmakers could all face arrest if they return from their month-long hiatus.

Lawmakers who have already returned to the Lone Star State could be arrested if they refuse to head to Austin to form a quorum on their own accord.

We "would be going to a jail, we would be going to the House chambers where they would basically be forcing a quorum," state Rep. Ron Reynolds explained in a video posted on his Twitter. "They would take us against our will to the House floor."

The Texas legislature needs at least 51 Democratic lawmakers to return to Texas to establish a quorum – a move many Democrats are still flatly rejecting.

Twenty-five Texas Democrats have remained in Washington, D.C. while at least four lawmakers have returned to Austin, including state Representatives James Talarico, Joe Moody, Mary Gonzalez, and Art Fierro.

Texas Supreme Court allows for arrest of Democrats who don't show up to legislature

Last edited:
Reactions: VolnJC
I wonder if any of these runaway legislators are still filing to collect their per diem? If they are that seems like an easy fraud case.

Reactions: Wireless1

VN Store

Back