The 2019 NFL Season Thread

In New England? Their roster is trash.

It's really not. The D and O line are great. WR/TE is really their only problem.

Tom's good enough to still win one with the right team around him, but he doesn't have the arm strength to just go out there and win these games anymore. He needs guys that get wide open.

Here's a thought that came to my mind this weekend while watching the Saints game...

I'm sure y'all remember in the last few years of Peyton's career (particularly after the neck surgery and when he went to Denver) there was a narrative, one I actually pretty much agreed with, that he needed to win a second Super Bowl in order to "cement his legacy."

Question - why does nobody say that about Drew Brees?

I do. His numbers will be top tier but for the playoff performance. Same with Rodgers, especially if he loses next weekend.

Here's a thought that came to my mind this weekend while watching the Saints game...

I'm sure y'all remember in the last few years of Peyton's career (particularly after the neck surgery and when he went to Denver) there was a narrative, one I actually pretty much agreed with, that he needed to win a second Super Bowl in order to "cement his legacy."

I think the difference is Drew Brees is not in the GOAT convo, so his legacy is basically at where it will end, among the all-time best. Peyton was going for GOAT convo, which he would have been in with two, except Brady has won 3 since...so that put Peyton away and made it unattainable for Brees.

I think the difference is Drew Brees is not in the GOAT convo, so his legacy is basically at where it will end, among the all-time best. Peyton was going for GOAT convo, which he would have been in with two, except Brady has won 3 since...so that put Peyton away and made it unattainable for Brees.

I believe Brady is trying to outlast Brees by at least 1 season to get the all time TD and yards leadership. The reverse is probably true as well - Brees staying in as long as Brady does.

That's what a buddy of mine though too. He thought it was because Peyton and Brady's careers are linked together so strongly, and Brady had more SBs at the time (even more now, as you said), so Peyton "needed" at least 2 to make that discrepancy look smaller.

But that kind of raises another question...why are Brees and Brady not discussed as contemporaries to the same extent that Peyton and Brady are? Brees obviously a contemporary of Brady; in fact, their eras align even better than Peyton's and Brady's do. Brees's numbers are eye-popping. Is it because he wasn't great until 6 years into his career, when he got to NO?

I dunno...it just kind of seems funny to me how that standard was applied to PM when it can easily be applied to Brees, but seemingly never has been by the media.

That's what a buddy of mine though too. He thought it was because Peyton and Brady's careers are linked together so strongly, and Brady had more SBs at the time (even more now, as you said), so Peyton "needed" at least 2 to make that discrepancy look smaller.

But that kind of raises another question...why are Brees and Brady not discussed as contemporaries to the same extent that Peyton and Brady are? Brees obviously a contemporary of Brady; in fact, their eras align even better than Peyton's and Brady's do. Brees's numbers are eye-popping. Is it because he wasn't great until 6 years into his career, when he got to NO?

I dunno...it just kind of seems funny to me how that standard was applied to PM when it can easily be applied to Brees, but seemingly never has been by the media.

It’s mainly because the Manning/Brady rivalry was so strong in the 2000’s. He’s never had anything like that with Brees.

I still believe Brees could have solidified top 5 status, maybe even top 3, if he’d managed to win another super bowl though, ESPECIALLY if he could’ve beaten Brady in one. I still think that happened last year in some alternate universe.

Last edited:

This is what I think, Brees has never been in the GOAT conversation or at least for Manning he was in the Brady/Manning race so it was more important he won more than one Super Bowl. Personally I think championships are a part of the criteria but way too much is put into them.

Favre seems to get a pass too, even though he just won one.

I give Brees a bit of a pass because I think if the Saints hadn't gotten screwed on the PI call last year, they probably win the Super Bowl. I think they would have beaten the Patriots. But it's a what if, we'll never know.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Ruhle picks Carolina over NYG? That seems crazy. Is that a referendum on the Giants' front office or on Daniel Jones?

Ruhle picks Carolina over NYG? That seems crazy. Is that a referendum on the Giants' front office or on Daniel Jones?

Did the NYG actually offer him? I don’t think that’s been reported, just that he was a candidate. He did turn down Cleveland interview.

Did the NYG actually offer him? I don’t think that’s been reported, just that he was a candidate. He did turn down Cleveland interview.

The headline I saw implied that he picked one over the other, but headlines aren't the most trustworthy.

The headline I saw implied that he picked one over the other, but headlines aren't the most trustworthy.

The problem with this stuff is that the reporting gets done through agents and such. I’ve not seen anything to suggest he even interviewed with the NYG.

Did the NFL nix the Rooney Rule? Where are the minority candidates interviewing?

Reactions: n_huffhines
I believe Brady is trying to outlast Brees by at least 1 season to get the all time TD and yards leadership. The reverse is probably true as well - Brees staying in as long as Brady does.

Possibly, but Brady’s stated goal has (at least as of 2017 or so) been to try to play until he’s 45.

He’s pretty much stated it as the whole cornerstone for pushing/advertising his TB12 Methodfitness, diet, equipment, merchandise, books, workout gear, sports therapy center, etc., business venture since it started. (I guess that web documentary series he had made - Tom v. Time - technically falls under this too since it mostly focuses on his off-season training routines and regiments).

81276865_3024297390950262_429564018852626432_n.jpg

How many QBs have an over .500 record in road playoff games

IDK. The point wasn't that he has a bad road record. The point is that to get to 8 SB's, he only had to win 3 road games. That's fkn insane. Eli had to win 5 road games to get to 2 SB's.

Ask Dan Marino.

VN Store

Back