The Atlanta Braves Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone been to the Nashville Zoo? Is it worth going to? I'm thinkin' about taking the old lady tomorrow as a surprise. She's been wanting to go for awhile and I don't want it to suck lol

The Nashville Zoo is actually pretty nice; it's just that there are very few animals. Somebody spent a lot of money on the grounds and didn't leave much left over for the animals. But It's a nice environment to walk around in. If she wants to go, it's worth a couple hours.

The Knoxville Zoo is the opposite. Lots of interesting animals, but most of the park looks the same as it did when I was a kid 35 years ago. They desperately need somebody to die and leave them $5 million so they can completely overhaul the grounds.

If you're a zoo lover and get a chance to go, the North Carolina Zoo in Asheboro is one of the finest zoos in the country, IMO.

I sort of hate zoos. But my wife likes them, and now my kids REALLY like them. So I usually have to go to the zoo in any city we spend more than two days in. I am the rare American tourist who went to the zoo in DUBLIN IRELAND, for crying out loud. (Spoiler: it sucks.)

Pretty sad that the only mention of the memphis zoo was in passing and connected with Birmingham. The memphis zoo is top shelf.

Pretty sad that the only mention of the memphis zoo was in passing and connected with Birmingham. The memphis zoo is top shelf.

My uncle is the Memphis zookeeper who got mauled by the tiger a few years ago. Almost killed him.

"Hey, we can save some money if we ask the guys who work in the birdhouse to feed the tigers on the weekends. What could go wrong?"

My uncle is the Memphis zookeeper who got mauled by the tiger a few years ago. Almost killed him.

"Hey, we can save some money if we ask the guys who work in the birdhouse to feed the tigers on the weekends. What could go wrong?"

this seems lawsuity

I'm sorry to hear that. Everything in memphis is about cutting funding.

The zoo itself however is still top shelf.

this seems lawsuity

I have no idea how it was worked out. He still works there. His wife comes from old Memphis money somehow, so I'm sure the lawyers were all amicable and backslappy. He has a horrific scar now, with a giant tattoo of a tiger with its claws out next to it.

I have no idea how it was worked out. He still works there. His wife comes from old Memphis money somehow, so I'm sure the lawyers were all amicable and backslappy. He has a horrific scar now, with a giant tattoo of a tiger with its claws out next to it.

1. Old plantation cotton money I assume.

2. Good sense of humor. Nice.

I sort of hate zoos. But my wife likes them, and now my kids REALLY like them. So I usually have to go to the zoo in any city we spend more than two days in. I am the rare American tourist who went to the zoo in DUBLIN IRELAND, for crying out loud. (Spoiler: it sucks.)

Only one experience with an international zoo but it was pretty awesome. It was in Madrid and my fond memories have a lot to do with the fact that they gave you a golf cart to drive around on if you wanted and they sold bottles of wine at the concession stands, but it was still awesome. They also didn't really have much in the way of fencing or cages (except for the really dangerous animals), a lot of the exhibits just had large moats around the edges, which seemed cool for some reason.

That being said, I was living there for two months and not on vacation for a week or two. Probably wouldn't have made my list of things to do if I hadn't been there for as long as I was.

I'm sorry to hear that. Everything in memphis is about cutting funding.

The zoo itself however is still top shelf.

It's the same everywhere -- managers think people are interchangeable parts, so they cut funding and ask people to do each other's jobs with no dropoffs. The funny thing is that apparently at the meeting where they announced this, my uncle was the guy who stood up and complained about how dangerous it was and how somebody was going to get hurt. Then it turned out to be him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back